I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

I also see people putting the aromatics on the reverse sear for the low and slow portion. If it's a trussed piece of meat, easy to slide sprigs of rosemary under the truss, or make little incisions and insert garlic slices. I do this with prime rib.

I do an herb butter baste for many of my sears, though more frequently for pork chops than beef. I find the baste flavor to be subtle and easily overpowered by beef, while chicken and pork are lighter in natural flavor and let the baste flavor show more.

If pan searing, it's easy, melt the butter and aromatics in the pan and tilt the pan and spoon it over, but if you're grill searing, I've done a lazy method and microwaved the butter and crushed aromatics in a bowl (cover with a paper towel, it splatters as it sizzles) to make an infused butter, and then spooned it on or used or sprig of herbs to brush it over the steak as it sears on the grill. If you do the microwave trick, watch the butter color carefully, let it brown, but it goes from brown to burned quickly if you walk away. Sometimes you want to microwave many short intervals and let it sit and sizzle in between the microwave spurts to let the aromatics cook into the butter more.

For grill sear, I'm still experimenting on whether to flip it immediately after baste to "cook it in" or to wait and let it soak on top for a bit first.

Sous vide pork chop sear, baste prep and right after spooning on, before flip.

324145998_grillbasteprep.thumb.jpg.fb689c7592c24e2a3f00d30fc00e4ad1.jpg   1950928194_bastedporkchop.thumb.jpg.66b458890726261349ee299815c83eaf.jpg

I used the leftover bowl of baste and herbs to roast some potatoes (poured over, wrapped in foil, cooked a bit); got full use out of it and tasted great.

Wish I could rep more than once.  I spent Father’s Day driving my son to camp. Mrs. BW is picking him up Saturday morning which means I’ve got Friday evening free for steak and whiskey with a small group of friends.  Almost identical - two ribeye tomahawks and a double cut pork chop are ready to go.  I’m spending way too much mental energy on how to prepare and the current lean is sous vide to rare, sear on cast iron and finish with smoke to medium rare.  

Edited by brown water
  • Like 2

Look similar in texture to a venison roast that I did sous vide (I think 24+hours).  Was mushy and the texture was very off putting.
FF5-D56-CB-A2-A4-4-D26-83-ED-EAD0-C3318-A9-A.jpg

I have found that, except for short ribs, most meats get too mushy or rubbery after about 4 hours in the water bath. I don’t let my steaks or pork chops go past 2 hours.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I have found that, except for short ribs, most meats get too mushy or rubbery after about 4 hours in the water bath. I don’t let my steaks or pork chops go past 2 hours.

Yeah, I thought that the roast could take that length, but I was very wrong.  Has to be something requiring collagen break down to go that long. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I thought that the roast could take that length, but I was very wrong.  Has to be something requiring collagen break down to go that long. 

Your mom took the length last night. 

Bing!

• Like 2

sous vide to rare, sear on cast iron and finish with smoke to medium rare.  

Damn son you’d really get the smoker going just to smoke the steaks for a bit or are you going to use a ceramic smoker that gets hot enough so you can use it to do the cast iron sear too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, dad said:

Damn son you’d really get the smoker going just to smoke the steaks for a bit or are you going to use a ceramic smoker that gets hot enough so you can use it to do the cast iron sear too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indirect setup on a Weber kettle.  I take this seriously but not that seriously. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 6:15 PM, brown water said:

Also. In case I forget to post updates Friday, let me assure you that it slammed, went hard and was gone before I could get the money shot.  And If I do remember, that’s just bad lighting. 

Almost forgot....  Not the best photo composition but it will have to do.  I’ll take my lumps from the judges. 

920481E0-32EC-421F-80A3-D40148403E5D.jpeg

331B9B7A-B65D-413E-AB0A-ABD4414F7B66.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, brown water said:

Almost forgot....  Not the best photo composition but it will have to do.  I’ll take my lumps from the judges. 

920481E0-32EC-421F-80A3-D40148403E5D.jpeg

331B9B7A-B65D-413E-AB0A-ABD4414F7B66.jpeg

Lmao...hey, at least the mac and the creamed spinach look good.

Did y’all have fun?  That’s really all that matters.

And the pics of the strippers aren’t showing up...btw

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Did a prime strip on Friday that got the same result.  I didn't sous vide or reverse sear or anything, just straight up grilled it.  Temp was right, but texture was mush...WTF?

PZLpEA.jpg

Otherwise, pretty nice little steak house dinner.  Started with a charcuterie board...

s7bsIp.jpg 

Wife served salad with a full strip of bacon on the side.  Good girl...

ZC4437.jpg

Bread basket...

zN7IVO.jpg

Scalloped potatoes...

aIAz0c.jpg

Plated...

LqzMpd.jpg

Espresso martinis for desert...

6C8I1R.jpg

Wow.  

is your wife married?

• Like 1

Hard to beat the chimney for a single steak. Uses little fuel, no real cleanup. If you have an appropriate sized cast iron pan, you can also put it over a chimney. Just don't use a pan that overhangs too much, as any overhang not receiving heat is acting as a heat sink and losing heat to the atmosphere.

I've been wanting to modify a cutout chimney to be able to slide the steak underneath, to get the radiant heat sear without the smoke fumes from drips, but it's buried in my projects list. Saw it on Guga, want to try. Should give a cleaner sear taste.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Hard to beat the chimney for a single steak. Uses little fuel, no real cleanup. If you have an appropriate sized cast iron pan, you can also put it over a chimney. Just don't use a pan that overhangs too much, as any overhang not receiving heat is acting as a heat sink and losing heat to the atmosphere.

I've been wanting to modify a cutout chimney to be able to slide the steak underneath, to get the radiant heat sear without the smoke fumes from drips, but it's buried in my projects list. Saw it on Guga, want to try. Should give a cleaner sear taste.

lift chimney and put on top of steak.  alton brown did it in good eats once.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

lmao this is awesome

• Like 1