I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

If by "awesome" you mean "annoying as fuck" then yeah, I agree.  People actually watch those fools?  I guess anyone can be a youtube star.

His channel is worth a million dollars. It’s annoying at times but I like some of his videos.d0f18670a287802705d616dc6eb42d3d.jpg
Then there’s his other channel:
de3343ce14e74e9cd438653b36987d44.jpg
He’s doing something right.
  • Like 2

I really like his channels, because they apply a bit more scientific method to the questions than most. He cuts comparison steaks from the same piece of meat, the testers pick the same slice from each steak, etc. He shows some great tricks and techniques in a very common sense kitchen way, no deep discussion of theory.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 10:37 AM, 4th_and_18 said:

His channel is worth a million dollars. It’s annoying at times but I like some of his videos.d0f18670a287802705d616dc6eb42d3d.jpg
Then there’s his other channel:
de3343ce14e74e9cd438653b36987d44.jpg
He’s doing something right.

What is that based on?  And who came up with those numbers?

On 2/20/2019 at 8:15 AM, NoName said:

i have fully pivoted to brussels sprouts - i like this Kenji Lopez-Alt "recipe" - they are easy but require more prep

Sprezza in Dallas has this fantastic flash fried brussels sprouts with goat cheese and apples app that is amazing. Here is @C-Man's version of it that he posted elsewhere

Hide contents

I've been making my own version at the house except I roast the brussels in the oven. Coat them in EVOO, whatever seasoning you want and then the balsamic glaze after they come out. Then into the bowl with the apples and goat cheese. So freakin' good.

also underrated is roasted cauliflower 

for both brussesls and cauliflower make sure you don't crowd the pan!

@C-Man have you done anything else/better/made any changes to that brussels recreation from Sprezza? making it this weekend and thought I would check...

2 hours ago, NoName said:

@C-Man have you done anything else/better/made any changes to that brussels recreation from Sprezza? making it this weekend and thought I would check...

I have not and haven't made it in quite some time. LMK how it turns out.

• Like 1

It’s a fancy way of saying salting a day or 2 ahead. I did 2 because it’s 3.5 lb roast.  

Use the usual amount of a coarse salt (kosher or sea salt). Put on a rack (I use a cooling rack inside a oven pan lined with foil). Place uncovered in the refrigerator overnight.  You might want to loosely cover with foil if you’re worried it may pick up some smell from the other food but I’ve got an extra one that’s empty is no need.  

The process is supposed to allow the salt to dissolve into the meat to both flavor and tenderize while also getting moisture off the surface to allow for a better sear. 

Good luck.  Actually to both of us as I don’t think I’ve done this before. 

Edited by brown water
  • Like 1

Dry brining - do it to any larger chunk of meat, it always helps. If you use a rub or seasoning at time of cook, be make sure it has no salt in it, or you'll oversalt.

Next time you can also try rubbing with the garlic and rosemary and putting into the sous vide. There is a food safety debate about it, esp garlic, but I do it all the time, gives the aromatics more time to infuse with the meat.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/12/how-to-dry-brine.html#solution

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I like how the meat is distorting reality in the second pic. Bonus points for hasselback potato.

7 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

That 2nd pic made me think I was having an lsd relapse

Sorry. Was a bit wobbly by that time.  Found another pic this morning. Probably should’ve used it instead. 

923A9074-C9F1-49EA-BAB3-42F5AF5E5136.jpeg

Is there any suggested amount of advance time for removing a steak / steaks from the fridge prior to grilling?

Assuming you want to get them to a leveled off temperature prior to ramping up the heat, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't go over an hour.

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

TL:DR - take your steak out an hour early, leave it out of sunlight and in AC.

Quoting only your Tapa sig, in hopes you turn it off:

There's no one right answer, depends what you're trying to achieve, but there are some general notes:

Thin, and you don't want to fully cook: Examples are thin steaks (<3/4"), skirt/flank steaks, kalbi style short ribs, fajita beef, beef stir fry, etc. You want to start these cold, straight from the fridge, and cook hot and fast, so you can get a sear on the outside and keep the inside from getting overcooked. However, for the last 2, due to food safety concerns, you should not precut these and then refrigerate if you won't fully cook them through. Refrigerate as the full piece of meat, and cut into chunks or strips immediately before throwing into cook. This keeps any potential bacteria on the surface of the meat, where your hot and fast cook will render them safe, while keeping the center cooked medium-rare/medium.

Thick, and you want even cooking: Examples are thicker steaks 1-3" thick. Depends on thickness - this you want to take out of the fridge 1-3hr ahead of time (depends on your ambient temp; don't leave them out in the sun for an hour, but indoors on your air conditioned countertop is fine). For food safety, they should still feel cool when you put them on the heat. A big prime rib I'll take out 3+ hours ahead due to thickness. Also, if you didn't dry brine overnight, do it now as long as you have an hour or more of time available. Salt it right out of the fridge and let it sit the hour+ before you cook. Don't do it if you don't have an hour; the dry brining process needs that much time to pull the salt and moisture back into the meat. If you don't have an hour, don't pre-salt, salt during cook.

Thick, and cooking low and slow: Examples are any roast, brisket, dino ribs, anything you're cooking >3hr (that's not a hard time limit.) It doesn't matter when you take this out of the fridge. You are fully cooking this item all the way through, and the cook is long enough that any temperature gradient at the start (from the fridge) will balance out by mid-cook. For purposes of a smoke ring, you actually want to start these items cold from the fridge, to give slightly more time in the temperature range where the smoke ring forms. And salt these pieces well ahead of time, at least overnight, preferably a day, up to 2-3 days for very thick pieces, like prime rib.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NoName said:

phenomenal.

man that is a great home version only made better at Sprezza because they deep fry them brussels...

@NoName & @C-Man

Do y’all let them cool before adding the goat cheese?  Do the apples cook with the sprouts?  How exactly do you do it?  I’ve never actually had them at Sprezza so I have no idea what the end result is supposed to be.  Whenever I’ve tried to recreate them, they’ve ended up pretty meh so I must be doing something wrong.

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

@NoName & @C-Man

Do y’all let them cool before adding the goat cheese?  Do the apples cook with the sprouts?  How exactly do you do it?  I’ve never actually had them at Sprezza so I have no idea what the end result is supposed to be.  Whenever I’ve tried to recreate them, they’ve ended up pretty meh so I must be doing something wrong.

here is how c-man wrote it up a while back:

I've been making my own version at the house except I roast the brussels in the oven. Coat them in EVOO, whatever seasoning you want and then the balsamic glaze after they come out. Then into the bowl with the apples and goat cheese. So freakin' good.

i basically followed that.

roast in the oven until pretty dark colored

toss in a bowl with the balsamic glaze immediately, when they are hot

add goat cheese pretty close to immediately, so it melts a little, and toss

add apples right before you serve, and toss (i used granny smith, i think last time i was there they used pink lady)

at Sprezza they are basically all very crisp due to the quick deep fry, but hot enough to melt the cheese and the apples stay crisp because they are thrown in at the end.

mine never are super crisp but the flavor is fantastic

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

add apples right before you serve, and toss (i used granny smith, i think last time i was there they used pink lady)

at Sprezza they are basically all very crisp due to the quick deep fry, but hot enough to melt the cheese and the apples stay crisp because they are thrown in at the end.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've done whenever I've tried it and it's always been meh.  The way all you guys rave about it, I just assume I'm doing something wrong.  Like ratios are off or something, maybe too much balsamic.  Maybe I just don't like it?  My family never really cares for it either, so I figure it's me fucking something up.  Hell if I know...

If you or @C-Man think about it, post a pic next time you make it.

59 minutes ago, NoName said:

41 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've done whenever I've tried it and it's always been meh.  The way all you guys rave about it, I just assume I'm doing something wrong.  Like ratios are off or something, maybe too much balsamic.  Maybe I just don't like it?  My family never really cares for it either, so I figure it's me fucking something up.  Hell if I know...

If you or @C-Man think about it, post a pic next time you make it.

The balsamic is an addition I made (I think). It is not a positive from an appearance factor once you start mixing it all together as that dulls the white goat cheese and dulls the green brussel color. There's not much to it, perhaps you just don't dig on the flavor combo as it is a little out there. I only use Granny Smith/green apples when I do it.

• Like 1

The balsamic is an addition I made (I think). It is not a positive from an appearance factor once you start mixing it all together as that dulls the white goat cheese and dulls the green brussel color. There's not much to it, perhaps you just don't dig on the flavor combo as it is a little out there. I only use Granny Smith/green apples when I do it.
When I make brussels I usually render some bacon and use that fat along with olive oil to cook them. Add the bacon and balsamic glaze, they're fantastic. I was thinking of adding some crumbled blue cheese. The recipe you guys are talking about sound great too, question how do you cut the apples? Diced?

12 minutes ago, Smax said:
34 minutes ago, C-Man said:

When I make brussels I usually render some bacon and use that fat along with olive oil to cook them. Add the bacon and balsamic glaze, they're fantastic. I was thinking of adding some crumbled blue cheese. The recipe you guys are talking about sound great too, question how do you cut the apples? Diced?

yes - a small dice

20 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Is there any suggested amount of advance time for removing a steak / steaks from the fridge prior to grilling?

Assuming you want to get them to a leveled off temperature prior to ramping up the heat, etc.

thankfully, people have tested this:

After two hours, I decided I'd reached the limit of what is practical, and had gone far beyond what any book or chef recommends, so I cooked the two steaks side by side. For the sake of this test, I cooked them directly over hot coals until seared, then shifted them over to the cool side to finish.* Not only did they come up to their final temperature at nearly the same time (I was aiming for 130°F), but they also showed the same relative evenness of cooking, and they both seared at the same rate.
The Takeaway:
Don't bother letting your steaks rest at room temperature. Rather, dry them very thoroughly on paper towels before searing. Or better yet, salt them and let them rest uncovered on a rack in the fridge for a night or two, so that their surface moisture can evaporate. You'll get much more efficient browning that way.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

• Like 1

I love Serious Eats, but I have a few issues with his conclusion. He doesn't mention how thick his "test" steak was, and he cooks it standard sear, so any benefit of decreasing the temperature gradient was neutralized (that reduction of gradient is the whole reason behind reverse sear).

He also doesn't provide his temp readings for each check, only the 20min and the 1h:50min, which were 2 degrees and 12 degrees, respectively. If it's a linear change, the 1 hour mark would put him around 5-6 degrees, which is the difference between one "step" of doneness, rare to med-rare, med-rare to med, etc.