I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

On 7/27/2020 at 9:55 PM, Both Tacos said:

All hail the pillow. How much per lb.?

$38/lb.   It looked so awesome I said fuck it and shelled it out.   Guy who sold it to me insisted that I sear it 90 seconds per side, no more, no less.

It was pretty good but not earth shattering. I read somewhere that the Japanese usually slice it and quick sear it on hot rocks.  I think that would kick it up a notch.

Edited by Mach 1

1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

Any thoughts on best way to transport cooked steak for 30 minutes? Cooking one place then plating somewhere else 30 minutes later and want it to be correct temp etc. back in broiler for just a bit or in oven for a minute or so?

there’s a usable kitchen at the final destination?  why not just cook the steak there. 

12 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Any thoughts on best way to transport cooked steak for 30 minutes? Cooking one place then plating somewhere else 30 minutes later and want it to be correct temp etc. back in broiler for just a bit or in oven for a minute or so?

Not 100% sure but it involves foil, that much I know.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

So they are pricey, but Flannery's prices are better than other places.  Thus cut was $68, so $34 per pound.  If you want smaller cuts, they have then and sell them in different sizes and styles.  For this cut=, the price per pound is About what HEB charges for their dry-aged at the places they have the dry-aging chambers, and Flannery is better quality and longer-aged.  Snake River Farms sells a similar 32 oz cut for $99.  Pat LaFrieda's similar cut is $82.  And Allen Brothers has a different system where you have to order 2 steaks, but they work out to $55-60,lb.

there’s a usable kitchen at the final destination?  why not just cook the steak there. 

I should have been more clear. A friend was bringing food from a steakhouse including but not limited to steaks but wasn’t getting to our ultimate destination for 30 or 45 minutes after picking up. I wanted to mark the occasion with as near a steakhouse like experience as possible moment.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Gale Snoats said:

I should have been more clear. A friend was bringing food from a steakhouse including but not limited to steaks but wasn’t getting to our ultimate destination for 30 or 45 minutes after picking up. I wanted to mark the occasion with as near a steakhouse like experience as possible moment.

order the steaks extra rare and then sear the shit out of them at the house.  should be gold. 

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah that should work well. might even get an uber crust on em searing twice. don't be afraid to use a thermometer if done-ness is a question, I haven't ever cooked a par cooked steak before, not sure if that would make a difference on texture.

15 hours ago, AustinMT said:

So they are pricey, but Flannery's prices are better than other places.  Thus cut was $68, so $34 per pound.  If you want smaller cuts, they have then and sell them in different sizes and styles.  For this cut=, the price per pound is About what HEB charges for their dry-aged at the places they have the dry-aging chambers, and Flannery is better quality and longer-aged.  Snake River Farms sells a similar 32 oz cut for $99.  Pat LaFrieda's similar cut is $82.  And Allen Brothers has a different system where you have to order 2 steaks, but they work out to $55-60,lb.

Another nice thing about buying from Flannery is that you end up dealing with Bryan Flannery directly.  Despite the accolades, it's still a small, family-run business, and Bryan is the nicest guy.  They'll also age stuff to order, so if you want beef with 60 or 90 days on it, it's your place.

On 5/3/2020 at 12:07 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Tried the rev. sear thing tonight on some ribeyes.

Will go oven / cast iron skillet on the stove next time I have a run @ it.

3d6ba21019cba9784420f201389fc5e9.jpg

038a0e68b1627e938e9ecd885095e7ea.jpg

b2767ed04064cbfdb7f2b8277dc67f92.jpg

e70db97e96ec5f16624c0f5b07dd7692.jpg

fffebe1cd69a622478adcb7f3bf18e25.jpg

3a058347f25e6222aa71a9de4da22141.jpg

0117423c3bf2e42ef902aab7365125a7.jpg

9eaaa4f2ec6db37db734b7780d7dcd43.jpg

efa66212fdaeb88c711f4459b57c4f5b.jpg

38e5660b4da933f9eb54710553b0dc65.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What's with the steak chips?  2" or go home.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 10:39 PM, AustinMT said:

Tonight’s steak. More Flannery dry-aged magic

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So I picked up a handful of Flannery NY strips this week.  Wife was like, "WTF is this?".  Stuck them in the freezer to cook next week.

Daughter (no pics) showed up this afternoon with a huge bag of vacuum packed Allen Brothers steaks (various cuts).  Probably a dozen or more.  I figure I'm set for steaks unti Christmas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

It’s very pricey especially with shipping.

He ran a special 40 percent off when I pulled the trigger.

And yes you’re just a poor.

I ordered right before father's day and he had a pretty hefty discount on the tomahawks (38oz @ $32.84 a lb) and a few other cuts.  There is a wine board, I forget which one at the moment, where he posts and they have a thread that will pop whenever he posts a discount. 

Edited by Anastasis

I ordered right before father's day and he had a pretty hefty discount on the tomahawks (38oz @ $32.84 a lb) and a few other cuts.  There is a wine board, I forget which one at the moment, where he posts and they have a thread that will pop whenever he posts a discount. 

Wineberserkers.com. I am a charter member but haven’t posted there in a long time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...