I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

3 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Each time I've made steaks, I go buy them day or day before.  But I'm lazier and more efficient as I age.

On scale of "stay the f away" to "it doesn't change the taste whatsoever,"  where is Surly on freezing ribeyes and thawing out day of?

I do it, if I see one of the family packs at HEB that looks good (good size cap and marbling) or same at Costco I'll grab it regardless of if I'm planning on steak night any time soon. I'll either cook what I need immediately and freeze the rest or just freeze all of them. Vacuum seal is a must, freezing them in just a ziploc is inviting problems. I've never noticed much if any taste change. I slow defrost them by putting them from the freezer into the fridge at least 24 hours before I plan on cooking them. Usually they don't end up staying in my freezer more than a week or 2.

• Like 1

A reverse sear from the other night at the House Of irth. 

Thawed the last two end pieces of our hand-cut filets, which is why we trussed them to make them looks pretty.  225 oven til 115-degrees.  10 minutes rest followed by a sear 2 minutes per side.  Finished with a quick Garlic Wine Reduction before serving.  

Basically, it was an excuse to properly enjoy the Ghost Block.

D51F53D8-A9EB-440F-AE68-582FC9912090.jpeg

D86526A0-4C5F-4FCB-88BB-77429E548F54.jpeg

FE340538-0AD5-4FF3-8D8A-32CC24A1AF76.jpeg

77374255-086A-4A54-8C58-59C3D3C54C5B.jpeg

A47C9535-BD0B-4EDF-A5E5-62A1A5003B65.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

Doesnt belong here but didn't know where to put it. Gf and I got high as hell tonight and went to target for munchies. Bought these and said what the hell we are high they won't be bad.
Reverse sear while rolling joints came out damn good
5a1ac266b566a8251e8430af487a3ef9.jpg0ed3c64efff407472628d25ed0cc0fef.jpga84637ebde0cfd87a27c6e9071221acb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Rare night alone in 2020. Weed then beer then prep then beer then start cooking then weed then finish cooking then weed then red wine. 

love the cooking techniques from here.  I went basic, oven for 20, seer on grill 3 a side.   Spectacular.  The salt for 30 pre cooking is genius and vastly underrated.  Filet plus old school mac and cheese because I’m old and the combo is glorious.   

I am a young firm Asian masseuse away from my greatest night of 2020.  

426C6967-A228-4ACD-BC58-D6B830B22E81.thumb.jpeg.6a670d819d366fe5256f4e416dae659f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Found this incredibly cheap Thai beef ribeye that looked like it had good marbling at local Makro (wholesale club like Costco). $3, somehow didn't take a pic of the marbling.

Cooked the first one straight sear and rest; was chewy as fuck, and had faintly metallic blood taste like it hadn't been hung and aged at all after slaughter. Wet aged the other one for a week, cooked sous vide for 4hr at 132F to try and tenderize, quick ice bath, grill sear. Result? Still chewy, just not chewy as fuck, and flavor was better.

1093602656_cheapsteak.thumb.jpg.9da2289d176a26588844061ad500fed0.jpg

Will buy more and try again with some variations on prep. Will try sous vide at some longer intervals, will try pineapple tenderize marinade. I need to figure out how to make this garbage meat cook decent, because it's effing cheap (and the raw cut actually does look very good). A comparable imported steak is 5-8x the price here, providing a lot of incentive to figure this meat out.

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Found this incredibly cheap Thai beef ribeye that looked like it had good marbling at local Makro (wholesale club like Costco). $3, somehow didn't take a pic of the marbling.

Cooked the first one straight sear and rest; was chewy as fuck, and had faintly metallic blood taste like it hadn't been hung and aged at all after slaughter. Wet aged the other one for a week, cooked sous vide for 4hr at 132F to try and tenderize, quick ice bath, grill sear. Result? Still chewy, just not chewy as fuck, and flavor was better.

Will buy more and try again with some variations on prep. Will try sous vide at some longer intervals, will try pineapple tenderize marinade. I need to figure out how to make this garbage meat cook decent, because it's effing cheap (and the raw cut actually does look very good). A comparable imported steak is 5-8x the price here, providing a lot of incentive to figure this meat out.

cube it up for vietnamese shaken beef or tacos? or cook it with lemongrass and other herbs to otherwise mask the taste?

15 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

this is the worst post in  this thread

• Like 3

11 hours ago, futureman said:

man I was kidding.  it looks fantastic. 

Sometimes it’s hard to tell when you’re joking futureman.  And you end up hurting people’s feelings.  You really should stop and think before you post on surly and ask yourself, “could this hurt someone’s feelings?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Sometimes it’s hard to tell when you’re joking futureman.  And you end up hurting people’s feelings.  You really should stop and think before you post on surly and ask yourself, “could this hurt someone’s feelings?”

but other posters hurt my feelings all the time.