I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

try some steaks from Costco, they continue to impress me for the price (especially when I catch them on sale)

We do the big packs of Costco NY strips and then vacuum seal individual steaks and put them in the deep freeze.  When semi-defrosted, they are perfect for a reverse sear.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

We do the big packs of Costco NY strips and then vacuum seal individual steaks and put them in the deep freeze.  When semi-defrosted, they are perfect for a reverse sear.

that's exactly what i do. im not sure how i lived so long without a vacuum seal machine 

i took some last week to my dad's and he grilled them. 450 degrees, 3.5 to 4 mins on each side, they were damn near perfect 

Edited by tx 3 putt

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, pops said:
Got my dad some SRF steaks for Christmas. He said let's have a couple before the game. If I fuck them up there will be no money shot and no post saying they were so good I forgot to take a pic. I will just hang my head in shame. 

20201229_143012.thumb.jpg.0a8f2716425d0fb03fffee7a9a8f8928.jpg
20201229_143331.thumb.jpg.08f3388e95e6daebf0d4b0dcf45c1510.jpg

How are you cooking them?

Did a reverse sear. 150 degree oven to 120 then hard sear in cast iron. Pic is above. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, pops said:

They were 65 bucks each and about 14 oz.  So $75/lb. Just not worth it. I was kind of bummed. 

Damn.  Yeah for that price, you can get a professional chef to prepare one for you, have a hot waitress bring it to you, have a bus boy clear your plate for you, and have a bunch of other shit available to have with it, including a full bar.

Also known as a very nice steakhouse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Damn.  Yeah for that price, you can get a professional chef to prepare one for you, have a hot waitress bring it to you, have a bus boy clear your plate for you, and have a bunch of other shit available to have with it, including a full bar.
Also known as a very nice steakhouse.

For that price there should be a blow job included.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

id send them an email, try to get your money back or a gift card. that's a rip off 

Don't get me wrong. It was a good piece of meat but I've had better strips at Ruth's chris or Mortons.  And that isn't saying much. Maybe my expectations were too high but fuck. I really thought it was going to make it move a little. Maybe I'll bitch to them but it isn't really my style. 

7 hours ago, pops said:

Don't get me wrong. It was a good piece of meat but I've had better strips at Ruth's chris or Mortons.  And that isn't saying much. Maybe my expectations were too high but fuck. I really thought it was going to make it move a little. Maybe I'll bitch to them but it isn't really my style. 

I’d give it another shot. I’ve only ordered SRF one time but the steaks I got were fantastic.  I would imagine they are pretty good most of the time. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

ribeyes and filets, they were great. and I guess the other opinions are valid, too, you can get prime shit at the grocery store for much cheaper. 

Most won’t want to hear what you’re saying, but your spot on. In my extensive experience of eating far to much, cost doesn’t guarantee anything. How one handles their meat is far more important.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

ribeyes and filets, they were great. and I guess the other opinions are valid, too, you can get prime shit at the grocery store for much cheaper. 

No doubt. The best deal at Central Market in my opinion, is their Prime Top Sirloin that sells anywhere from $9.99 (special) to $11.99 (normal price), and the quality is just the same as the more expensive cuts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Most won’t want to hear what you’re saying, but your spot on. In my extensive experience of eating far to much, cost doesn’t guarantee anything. How one handles their meat is far more important.

4 hours ago, fwtxbevo said:

No doubt. The best deal at Central Market in my opinion, is their Prime Top Sirloin that sells anywhere from $9.99 (special) to $11.99 (normal price), and the quality is just the same as the more expensive cuts. 

Grass fed I posted upthread is a perfect example.  I paid extra for that shit and it sucked.  Fuck grass fed.

• Like 1

I posted pics in the shit I cooked lately thread but the prime1 Picanha I cooked last night was maybe the best beef I’ve ever done.

It was $7/lb

And I’ve also cooked a lot of high end shit.

YMMV
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I needed some bones for a stock and Kroger had a choice bone in roast for 4.99/lb. I cut off the horn and made two ribeyes out of it. Pretty good deal for me. Wife had the strip.

Seasoned and straight to the grill. Both turned out great. My wife complained the strip was over seasoned... women, am I right?

fdbf825ca6644c1f7c3fed44b3d98c5f.jpg
0e7872e796d2831a33dca9611b2b225b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

I needed some bones for a stock and Kroger had a choice bone in roast for 4.99/lb. I cut off the horn and made two ribeyes out of it. Pretty good deal for me. Wife had the strip.

Seasoned and straight to the grill. Both turned out great. My wife complained the strip was over seasoned... women, am I right?

fdbf825ca6644c1f7c3fed44b3d98c5f.jpg
0e7872e796d2831a33dca9611b2b225b.jpg

I wish I had some butchering skills.

grassfed steak is the bees knees.  for me its characterized by gummy yellow fat.  theyre very good when cooked more rare, compared to grain fed beef. 

the really graininess texture of the example above - i dunno maybe more due to the cut or storage and aging cycle or something - but thats not something id immediate associate with grassfed

I don't dislike grass fed.  But it's definitely different.  It's definitely earthier and grainier.  Sometimes, it just sounds good, so we'll stray from the standard Prime / or Snake River Wagyu ribeye or strip.  I was solo a the weekend after Thanksgiving at the ranch and did a great grass fed strip over an oak fire in the fire pit.  Just seemed to work.  

As some of you know I raise and sell grass finished beef. If you’re used to grain finished it’s definetly going to be an acquired taste. For one a grass finished steer is going to be quite a bit older than a grain finished steer because of the time it takes to get to weight and have much less fat/marbling do to it being finished in a pasture versus penned up. Best steak you can have though will come off a dairy cow. Angus bull on a Jersey cow will produce very good beef. The color of the fat on a dairy cow is beautiful if fed right. Meanest bull you will ever come across though is a Jersey bull. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

As some of you know I raise and sell grass finished beef. If you’re used to grain finished it’s definetly going to be an acquired taste. For one a grass finished steer is going to be quite a bit older than a grain finished steer because of the time it takes to get to weight and have much less fat/marbling do to it being finished in a pasture versus penned up. Best steak you can have though will come off a dairy cow. Angus bull on a Jersey cow will produce very good beef. The color of the fat on a dairy cow is beautiful if fed right. Meanest bull you will ever come across though is a Jersey bull. 

If you're not feeding them beer and giving them massages, you're slackin

• Haha 1