I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

X-posting from the Napoleon Grills thread. Got a new grill and did a strip to break it in...

I2XCCO.jpg

The side sear station, which is super high heat for searing (not a side cooktop burner that I'd never use), gets really hot. Flames going everywhere. This will take some tweaking and getting used to...

sqwhjW.jpg

Here's the char on the first side I did. Probably left it on a little too long...

DJevPr.jpg

And here's the other side which probably wasn't quite long enough, but I was worried I'd overcook it, which I did. There are a few things I can do differently to perfect this part, but it is a really nice feature and I think I'll love it once I get it dialed in...

HeBWt2.jpg

Here's the money shot, but I'm not super proud of it. Probably cooked it about right before I put it on the sear station, which then took it a bit over...

LWgR7b.jpg

Overall though, the build quality, features, warranty and price point are superior to Weber in just about every way I can see so far.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

X-posting from the Napoleon Grills thread. Got a new grill and did a strip to break it in...

I2XCCO.jpg

The side sear station, which is super high heat for searing (not a side cooktop burner that I'd never use), gets really hot. Flames going everywhere. This will take some tweaking and getting used to...

sqwhjW.jpg

Here's the char on the first side I did. Probably left it on a little too long...

DJevPr.jpg

And here's the other side which probably wasn't quite long enough, but I was worried I'd overcook it, which I did. There are a few things I can do differently to perfect this part, but it is a really nice feature and I think I'll love it once I get it dialed in...

HeBWt2.jpg

Here's the money shot, but I'm not super proud of it. Probably cooked it about right before I put it on the sear station, which then took it a bit over...

LWgR7b.jpg

Overall though, the build quality, features, warranty and price point are superior to Weber in just about every way I can see so far.

What kind of grill?

Ongoing saga of Thai beef:

Got told about a nearby farm that butchers and sells really cheap. Bought the biggest tomahawk I could find, because why not? Right at 3lb.

raw.thumb.jpg.fd21e8b3f5fcf0c8dde7a9bb15123a59.jpg

Dry brine, salt/pepper/garlic powder 2 nights. Reverse sear, smoked with bit of mesquite for about an hour at 240 to 110F internal. Had a shitton of rosemary that was wilting so I put a bed of it under and a layer over. Looked cool, but added zero to flavor.

smoked.thumb.jpg.d125534eef900e0d5eb9cec38fa10c52.jpg

Rested 25min, cranked the heat. Was 125 internal after resting. On for sear, 4min total, flipped every 1min.

sear.thumb.jpg.747259a4ed5cdce2ea5a561c93236876.jpg

Cook was perfect, seasoning was perfect, the meat...was still chewy Thai beef. Just chewy, not chewy as fuck, so minor victory? Stalemate? No idea. Will keep trying. Prefer not to use a jaccard knife for food safety reasons, but it might be needed. Next try will be a longer sous vide.

927714080_cutopen.thumb.jpg.f68fee370317f55623ae70795d1e4efa.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try and reverse sear some steaks this weekend.  I would appreciate some pointers. What oven temperature? At what temperature do I pull them to sear? This is the first time to try it.  Looking for medium rare and medium temp. Many thanks in advance. 

With a ribeye, I always do a reverse sear, salt & pepper only for seasoning. Cook in a 225° oven until the internal temp (measured by probe) reaches 115°. I always let mine rest until it cools to 110° IT, but that's after it rises to 123-125ish°. That way, it stops cooking internally. Not all do the resting step, and instead go straight to sear. I have a red hot charcoal fire ready to sear mine after it rests.

(Take note that I usually cook a 2"(ish) ribeye so thinner cuts of meat won't rise as high in temp after pulling at 115°)

The tri tip was all done on the grill, with an offset basket of charcoal. Seared first, then cooked off the heat until IT reached 125°. Then, let it rest for 15-20 minutes.

Edited by SurlyBDR
IT corrected on tri tip
  • Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, CoachTex said:

Going to try and reverse sear some steaks this weekend.  I would appreciate some pointers. What oven temperature? At what temperature do I pull them to sear? This is the first time to try it.  Looking for medium rare and medium temp. Many thanks in advance. 

Just to throw out a little more info. Going to cook ribeyes and filets.

1 hour ago, CoachTex said:

Just to throw out a little more info. Going to cook ribeyes and filets.

Get ready for a lot of different answers! With all due respect, you don't have to reverse sear or sous vide to cook a quality steak as most here seem to believe, although I understand why people do so. If you have a grill and can get the temperature to 450-550, you are on your way. It does take a little practice, and I did so with less expensive prime top sirloin, but have gotten it down and it is so much easier. Just my opinion, and it won't be very popular. Either way good luck.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CoachTex said:

If you really want to nerd out on the process, serious eats has you covered...

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fwtxbevo said:

Get ready for a lot of different answers! With all due respect, you don't have to reverse sear or sous vide to cook a quality steak as most here seem to believe, although I understand why people do so. If you have a grill and can get the temperature to 450-550, you are on your way. It does take a little practice, and I did so with less expensive prime top sirloin, but have gotten it down and it is so much easier. Just my opinion, and it won't be very popular. Either way good luck.

This. I never bother with that stuff and it always turns out great - you just need to fine tune your grill and timing.  3-4 years ago figured out for myself how important it was to let the meat come to room temp before putting on the grill and it makes a world of difference.  Just got get my gas grill up to 80-90% max heat and then 7 minutes on the grill turning halfway. voila perfect.

On the other hand I have a friend that does sous vide and while I can confirm its great, it takes like 2 hours for him to cook a steak. Ain't nobody got time for that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CoachTex said:

I’d buy them today and dry brine (kosher salt) for 2 days.  Ribeyes in particular. 

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-brine-and-season-a-steak#what-is-dry-brining-a-steak

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

This. I never bother with that stuff and it always turns out great - you just need to fine tune your grill and timing.  3-4 years ago figured out for myself how important it was to let the meat come to room temp before putting on the grill and it makes a world of difference.  Just got get my gas grill up to 80-90% max heat and then 7 minutes on the grill turning halfway. voila perfect.

On the other hand I have a friend that does sous vide and while I can confirm its great, it takes like 2 hours for him to cook a steak. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Agree.  Although I'm on Team Reverse Sear, especially if I'm cooking for a crowd and people have different preferences about how rare they want their steak, there are a lot of ways to cook a great steak.  The craziest thing that I've seen, and it actually works, is the America's Test Kitchen approach to cooking a steak that is frozen.  Google it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I got my grill game down pat. Just want to try something different and expand my skills.

3-4 years ago figured out for myself how important it was to let the meat come to room temp before putting on the grill and it makes a world of difference.

Do you realize why your method works so well for you? It’s because you are essentially sous vide-ing/reverse searing, just to a lower temperature.

9 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Do you realize why your method works so well for you? It’s because you are essentially sous vide-ing/reverse searing, just to a lower temperature.

I know reverse sear works well, but nothing can compare to sous vide for ease of preparation and 100% guarantee of perfect steak.  It's just foolproof.

10 minutes ago, luke duke said:

100%. And I’m not knocking the other methods, just pointing out that enough experience can eliminate the need to buy other equipment, or take an hour or two to cook a steak.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

100%. And I’m not knocking the other methods, just pointing out that enough experience can eliminate the need to buy other equipment, or take an hour or two to cook a steak.

It takes like 20-30 minutes to come to temp in a 250 degree oven. Just like it takes about 20-30 mins to come to room temp if you leave it out on the counter. It's the same amount of time. 

17 hours ago, luke duke said:

It takes longer than that unless you’re cooking 1/4”steaks.

12 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Uh, yeah, no. 2-3hr maybe. Put in a temp probe and watch core temp.

Y'all are right. I was just making a point that saying a reverse-sear takes too much time but saying you have to wait till a steak comes to room temp before you throw it on the grill doesn't make sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 10:03 AM, BHMCruiser said:

People are funny. The other day, my wife was out of town and I had my three kids. One of the other parents at my son's soccer game came up to me and said "my wife is concerned about you guys this weekend. She wants to know if she can have dinner delivered tonight." 

I was like "motherfucker, tonight I am going to grill prime ribeyes to the rare side of medium rare while I drink Stoli out of the freezer. Then I'm going to let them rest slathered in sage garlic butter while I finish the red wine mushrooms, twice-baked potatoes, and roasted brussels sprouts with bacon. Then after dinner we are all going to eat ice cream on the couch while we watch King Kong and Godzilla smash everything in surround sound. Then I am putting the kids to bed and sitting on my patio under my hanging lights while I drink bourbon and smoke a cigar. Today is the best day of my entire life and nothing else is even close. The offer of a casserole is politely declined. But I hope you guys have a nice evening tonight." Then I sent him pictures of resting steaks, drinks, etc. all night long.

I think that neighbor’s wife wants to bang you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do y'all just do tri-tip like a normal steak? Thinking of reverse searing one on the pellet smoker.

I marinade it the night before using something like this. Add a shit ton of onions into the marinade to saute as well. I have also only smoked it and not done a reverse sear as I feel like it comes to temp in around 90 minutes at 225.

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/tri-tip-marinade/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:59 AM, futureman said:

is that a garmin?

Yeah, the boy was running cross country for a while and the unnecessary generosity of grandparents and "surprises" are undefeated.

Edited by dcbc

top sirloin, not the sexiest cut but was fantastic for what i planned.

which was steak sandwiches with feta, sauteed onions, mushroom and peppers, avocado, tomato, spinach, dab of horseradish, on an Easy Tiger hamburger bun. side of sweet potato fries. 

um. i forgot to take a picture of the final product bc gotdamn 😁

but here's the steak lol🤘

20210717_202503.jpg

20210717_203504.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2