I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

Apologies to SmartAsset if he makes the leap, but quoting for the original steak methodology from that thread

First of all, shut the fuck up.

Because if you didn't buy your steak at the farmers market this morning from a vendor out of Rockdale, Texas, then your steak was shit. I'm not kidding. The steak I ate tonight was a game changer. A lifetime game changer. For years I thought I knew what good steak was. I sought out the best steaks I could find at grocery stores and meat markets, and I read and studied on how to prepare them to perfection. I went to the best steakhouses that offered USDA prime grade meat and purported to offer the most expertly prepared stakes to be had. I thought I knew steak. 

I was wrong.

This was my first experience purchasing a steak at a farmers market. It was pure, grass-fed, hormone-free, Texas-raised beef. And the most amazing part about it was that it was frozen when I bought it.

"What? Frozen? Max, you are a fucking retard."

Like I said, shut the fuck up. The damned thing was falling apart raw before I even put it in the skillet. I've never seen that. I've never seen someone sell me a steak and then have it nearly fall apart as I'm seasoning it on my kitchen counter. I've never seen that. But it did. Hell, I could have sliced it into ribeye carpaccio and it would have been awesome. But that wasn't the plan. The plan was to sear that bitch (or cow) up just until it held together and imparted the most delectable flavors possible into my mouth (no homo). The plan worked, and I have pictures to prove it.

You saw the cut of beef. You saw the marbling. You know what to look for at your local farmers market. Now here are instructions for what to do with it.

Salt the shit out of it.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6641/img00291g.jpg

Let it sit just like that for 30 minutes. Then rinse the salt off under running water and pat it as dry as you can get it with paper towels. Then cover it in fresh medium ground black pepper, and put it on a rack in an oven heated to warm or about 150 degrees. It should look like this after about 15 minutes:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8608/img00301t.jpg

It should look like this after 30 (slightly more brown):

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5144/img00311.jpg

More brown? Browner? Whatever.

Now have a martini. This one was made with Plymouth gin. Stir three ounces of gin in ice until it is extremely cold. Rinse a chilled (or frozen) cocktail glass with dry vermouth. I used Noilly Prat. Strain the gin into the glass. Garnish with a twist.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2109/img0033su.jpg

Now sear the steak. Put a cast iron skillet under a broiler for at least 15 minutes. The longer, the better. Make sure you have good ventilation. I have long been a strong advocate for using clarified butter. I have recently discovered that if you have a well-marbled ribeye, you don't need it. You don't need anything. That's right. No butter. No oil. Put the steak in a dry skillet. DO IT. DO IT NOOOOOWWW:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2443/img00351.jpg

I cooked it about three minutes per side and then put it in a 500 degree oven for about four minutes. I probably over-cooked it. If I had it to do over again (and I will) I would do it about 2 1/2 minutes per side and not put it in the oven at all. Even still, after drizzling a little finishing oil (Texas Hill Country Olive Company out of Dripping Springs, also bought at the farmers market) it came out pretty good.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3046/img00391o.jpg

And by "pretty good" I mean it was fucking awesome. That's an understatement. I didn't know that steak could taste this good. I couldn't have even imagined it. For a long time I have heard people say that fresh, local, grass-fed beef is so much better than store-bought beef, and I though, "okay, I should give that a try, but how good could it be?" 

The answer is...try it and see for yourself. I can't put it into words. You have to taste it.

The sides were Sautéed baby carrots with fresh grated ginger and garlic and Sautéed Russian kale, both also purchased at the market. The wine was a Chilean proprietary blend - Primus - which was perfect with the steak, especially for $14 a bottle.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4157/img00371.jpg

The pictures do not do this meal justice. Make it for yourself.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:34 PM, Jimbaround said:

Ribeye tonight.

Oven to 95 then hit skillet with clarified butter some rosemary and garlic.

8b55c7c81170b0f841be3750df874fac.jpg49f1d02e20591ec2fbb02a887e4af7ba.jpgc7dacf2a18a5ce2cb5deab44a29d00fb.jpg65f0aab075bb0a108dce064cc999c64e.jpg

I have been doing an increasing number of my steaks in the oven and then finishing in cast iron lately.  Butter basting is legit.

Edited by Dontshootrude

32 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

I have been doing an increasing number of my steaks in the oven and then finishing in cast iron lately.  Butter basting is legit.

I agree with cast iron and butter basting.  Like to sous vide then finish that method.  As good as you can do at home, in my view.  

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Kindly elaborate on this butter basting thing?

What's the latest and greatest on the "reverse sear?"

I butter baste to finish my steak after sous viding .  Get the cast iron blasting hot with a bit of canola oil.  Sear the steak for a minute on one side, flip the steak, drop in two or three large pats of butter.  Baste the steak with the melted butter for a minute or so. Viola!

Serious Eats has touches on the butter basting here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Even if you don't sous vide, the guide will work for reverse sear I think.  Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Whew, thank god the new Surly software supports "looked better in real life than the pics".  Hopefully it will also support "everyone ate it all before I could get a money shot, but trust me it slammed".  As long as the new site has both of those options, we're still all a bunch of amazing chefs.

• Like 2

Lunch is swerved.

1/4 Sweet Yellow Onion
4 or 5 sliced Mushrooms
1 Whole Bell Pepper (smallish)
1 Smashed pod of Garlic, minced.

Ribeye salted, peppered, in the fridge for 2 days.

Steak on for 2 min. each side prior to veggies, added Salted Olive Oil Butter, then vedje-tables. Cooked all until vedges were just soft enough / onion was clarified.b1974e68e474e517fa090a8c5f8c8507.jpg90205066679c27244364816474a8686b.jpg497976aa8981ac11a41c2ffb2a1a8f2e.jpge796553785fad95e44b15cffda738f75.jpg27d6c508da68e7230824bde2128c284e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Is that a dish rag?

My only concern was to keep the plate from scratching the table. 

Zero shits given re: veggies receiving steak juice & olive oil butter treatment.

Onion

Mushrooms

Green bell pepper

Smashed & diced single pod of garlic

• Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

My only concern was to keep the plate from scratching the table. 

Zero shits given re: veggies receiving steak juice & olive oil butter treatment.

Onion

Mushrooms

Green bell pepper

Smashed & diced single pod of garlic

What about the steak receiving the veggie juices?  For that, you should give more shits because that belongs in the "That's Just Wrong" thread.

On 4/3/2018 at 2:04 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Lunch is swerved.

1/4 Sweet Yellow Onion
4 or 5 sliced Mushrooms
1 Whole Bell Pepper (smallish)
1 Smashed pod of Garlic, minced.

Ribeye salted, peppered, in the fridge for 2 days.

Steak on for 2 min. each side prior to veggies, added Salted Olive Oil Butter, then vedje-tables. Cooked all until vedges were just soft enough / onion was clarified.b1974e68e474e517fa090a8c5f8c8507.jpg90205066679c27244364816474a8686b.jpg497976aa8981ac11a41c2ffb2a1a8f2e.jpge796553785fad95e44b15cffda738f75.jpg27d6c508da68e7230824bde2128c284e.jpg

Maybe move this to the Vic Mackey's Friends Food thread.