I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

• 2 weeks later...

I cooked a tomahawk last night and I was reminded of this exchange:

I think that it was 2.7lbs. That's a normal size cookie sheet.

82a9de4560913b65f528010ac84d3726.jpg

After going in the oven

f210636fdc90fc9196e530900596d292.jpg

Sear, 75sec/side

80427c634e6569da4a74b36654df3a0b.jpg

Post-sear

75310f91a21b60b4ca32a42ccda703e2.jpg

Showing the impossible.

4fc3aa2b0089aac23a80b0e9a22dcf84.jpg

Another angle

2586879a3569aeef164c45fecf8e4c88.jpg

Here’s the graph. I dropped the oven temp as I went along. I put it back in the oven for a couple of minutes at the end.

487ee411c535c5318151b6f3fb95c0d8.jpg

Edited by luke duke
  • Like 7

Never understood the slicing of the steak when plating.  Is there a reason for this that I’m just too dumb to know about?  Every steak I’ve ever ordered at a restaurant is not pre-sliced and I never do that when I make steak.  What am I missing?

7 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Never understood the slicing of the steak when plating.  Is there a reason for this that I’m just too dumb to know about?  Every steak I’ve ever ordered at a restaurant is not pre-sliced and I never do that when I make steak.  What am I missing?

He asked him mom to cut it up for him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Better Instagram pics?

17 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I slice my kid's bites so while I've got the cutting board and a knife out and dirty, I go ahead and slice mine too. 

Edited by SurlyBDR

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Every steak I’ve ever ordered at a restaurant is not pre-sliced

Peter Luger would like a brief word with you on the courtesy phone (and he has Mr. Keens on the other line).

Edited by ohchaucer
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2019 at 8:46 PM, Gen. Applewhite said:

Ribeye, pork chops and sirloin, cut into chunks so everybody can have a bit of each. Had to do some QC on that missing bit sirloin to see how it handled 6 hours of sous vide at 130 before a quick blast on the grill.

2019-05-26-Ribeye-and-Chops.jpg

Why so long in the sous vide?

On 5/23/2019 at 11:52 AM, ohchaucer said:

Peter Luger would like a brief word with you on the courtesy phone (and he has Mr. Keens on the other line).

went to PL with a group of buddies 15 years or so ago. At the end of the meal, there was about 4 cups worth of liquid grease on the plates they brought out the meat on...one dude said he would pour all the grease into a glass and drink it all if we paid for his meal.

we went out later and he would smile and there was about 1/4 inch of off-white colored hardened grease on his teeth. it was amazing. 

• Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 12:30 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

went to PL with a group of buddies 15 years or so ago. At the end of the meal, there was about 4 cups worth of liquid grease on the plates they brought out the meat on...one dude said he would pour all the grease into a glass and drink it all if we paid for his meal.

we went out later and he would smile and there was about 1/4 inch of off-white colored hardened grease on his teeth. it was amazing. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5660406

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Most online lists suck. This however is another level.  

Capital Grille as best steakhouse in Colorado. Ridiculous.

21 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Most online lists suck. This however is another level.  

Capital Grille as best steakhouse in Colorado. Ridiculous.

Mastro's is good but not a chance in hell they are the best in CA and Joe's Seafood as the best in Illinois. LOLZ

On 6/4/2019 at 3:50 PM, huge said:

Pappas Bros is excellent though it would not be my first choice.  

Lmao that list doesn’t even have the best Pappas listed.  It says Dallas.  The one in Houston is better.  The Pappas in Dallas isn’t even the best in Dallas, let alone the state.  That list sucks.

tried the reverse sear-my version of it today, on a NY strip.  Awesome! Whoever invented that shit should be a millionaire.  My little adjustment was that my frying pan wasn't hot enough when the steak hit the pan, so I turned the steak twice to get that first side an additional 30 seconds.  Was the best steak I have ever cooked at home, and not close.  Pink but plenty hot.  The steak stayed hot the entire time I ate, which is not always the case.  Most of the time I cooked a steak before I could get it to medium rare but it would be cold by the time I was halfway done.

Got me started thinking, would that technique work on a Chuck Roast?  I really don't see any pitfalls.  I will give it a shot, and instead of one minute on high for the sear, I think I will try 2 minutes each side.  I don't have a thermometer, so I played it by feel today for the strip.  My feel is pretty good, having worked as manager of Luby's cafeteria for 8.5 years a lifetime ago. 

I just had a flashback to Luby's.  The best steak I ever cooked I cooked at Luby's.  Two episodes really.  One time there was a ribeye in the cooler that looked like it was about to go bad, so I drenched it with melted butter, and then cooked it.  I put a little pan on top of the steak while it was on the grill.  I wanted to know if that technique worked so I cooked a 2nd ribeye for my dinner, same method.  Melted in my mouth good.   Later I would learn that the famous steak place in Austin-OMG I can't think of the name- cooked their steaks at 500 and soaked with butter.  Ruth's Chris- there it is.  

The other Luby's flashback was this: we were trying to get rid of some ribeye's one Saturday night in Sherman, so we cooked them and put them on the counter.  Price was very steep for your typical Sherman resident, and we relied upon the police to help us with high dollar items such as that. (Police got 50% off, and some locations would give food free if policeman entered location during the last half hour-can't remember if it was free in Sherman or not) I guess the police didn't show up that night, so my boss who was absolutely exceptional in creativity, decided we could try to sell the 3 remaining ribeyes the next day, but the rule at Luby's was you have to change the form of the meat.  So, we had Chicken Fried Ribeye.  I was the butcher that Sunday morning, so I put the three leftover ribeyes through the tenderizer a couple or three times and the fry cook did the usual- flour-batter-flour-batter-cracker crumbs.  They came out beautifully, but only two sold.  I took the plunge again- I was such a good food taster- and ate the last Chicken Fried Ribeye--ummmm good!  

I still occasionally have Luby's dreams/nightmares, but this was a pretty good series of flashbacks.  I guess when you work a job 14-15 hours a day, it does something to you.  I still know the ingredients for mayo.:   SESOVDM - salt eggs sugar oil vinegar dry mustard.  Whenever I completely forget that I guess I will be ready for the alzheimer's unit.  The wife occasionally gives me a hard time about remembering stuff.  

I should call that manager in Sherman and tell him this story.  Last time I checked property tax appraisal records he still lived in Sherman.  Great man.  Like a lot of great Luby's men, he got screwed, starting with that idiot CEO from the clothing business, Barry something- Parker I think.  100% jackass, didn't know what making food entailed.  Wow! I'm tripping. 

• Like 1