I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Prime ribeye.  On a boat. At an island.  #Winning.

I love how @Sbbruin can post just about anything and, as long as it has boats in the background, it's badass.  Dude could post a pic of genital warts from his boat and we're all like, dude that's awesome.  Any of the rest of us posts that steak on that plate on that table cloth and the Surly smarmy dog piling ensues.

Cool toys are a powerful thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Anyone use an infrared propane grill to finish off a sear? I was just gifted an almost new one, and fired it up. It was pushing 800 degrees. 

No. But be careful with temps that high. I can get my cast iron pan over 750 in my Komodo and I honestly think it is too hot. At 550 to 600 it is easier to develop a better crust without raising the interior temp too quickly. 

But no way to know unless you try!  I would stop the reverse sear part closer to 110 or 115 if you are finishing at 800. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, Landomatic said:

I love how @Sbbruin can post just about anything and, as long as it has boats in the background, it's badass.  Dude could post a pic of genital warts from his boat and we're all like, dude that's awesome.  Any of the rest of us posts that steak on that plate on that table cloth and the Surly smarmy dog piling ensues.

Cool toys are a powerful thing.

I'll say it.  Overcooked and under seared.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 7:48 PM, Deej said:

Anyone use an infrared propane grill to finish off a sear? I was just gifted an almost new one, and fired it up. It was pushing 800 degrees. 

Just got my new grill going a month or two ago and I'm struggling with the infrared. It's fucking hot as shit and I haven't gotten a sear that I liked on it yet. I've had a lot more luck at 550-600 on the cast iron than cranking up the infrared. Still practicing though.

I used it Sunday on a ribeye. With the grill setting turned all the way down, it was doing a slow creep from 550 to 600. Actually turned out a decent steak, but I need to tweak it. It can be improved. I can't see using the damn thing for anything other than steak.

My propane grill (I know, delete thread ban user) has a big infrared sear burner. IR can get to a higher temp, but it sucks for actually searing via direct heat, as you really need a ton of retained heat to get a steak surface up to temp quickly when searing. That's why cast iron is so great for searing; (that's also why on the old site I posted my terrible experience with GrillGrates - they're made of aluminum, which has lousy heat capacity and immediately cools down when you put your food on it.)

For the best combo, put a cast iron pan over the IR burner and let it heat for a while; you can get the cast iron hotter than a normal burner, and then the cast iron retains a ton of heat and can dump that into the steak quickly when you sear.

On 6/29/2019 at 11:36 AM, Landomatic said:

Wait...I thought you were the ribeye god?

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Grass fed, grass finished strip. Salt and pepper. Sous vide @ 131. Finished using the brownwater method with avocado oil in a grill pan.

9-AF3-FB59-3-EF6-4758-A0-AD-0-B79-CD8-F8

DED64-ABB-5-B22-4297-8079-47-E2251-D7-ED

0-C026217-43-C1-4-BA6-9722-84-E1764-F62-

I’m trying to not let this go to my head. Will say this board has upped its game over since TOS.  Keep up the great work.  

On 6/29/2019 at 11:36 AM, Landomatic said:

Wait...I thought you were the ribeye god?

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Grass fed, grass finished strip. Salt and pepper. Sous vide @ 131. Finished using the brownwater method with avocado oil in a grill pan.

9-AF3-FB59-3-EF6-4758-A0-AD-0-B79-CD8-F8

DED64-ABB-5-B22-4297-8079-47-E2251-D7-ED

0-C026217-43-C1-4-BA6-9722-84-E1764-F62-

I’m trying to not let this go to my head. Will say this board has upped its game over since TOS.  Keep up the great work.  

@Anastasis

@TXLNGHRN10

@dcbc

@Hank_Hill

Edited by brown water
  • Like 3

Had Wagyu beef (Kobe) tonight for the first time.  Wife and I went to a "farm to plate" restaurant in Indiana.  Un-freaking-believable.  Everything that we ate was incredible. We started with a cheese and meat plate.  Everything in their restaurant is made fresh, all farm to plate from their gardens.  

spacer.png

Edited by ernest_t_bass
  • Like 2

Ribeyes for the wife's (no pics) birthday.  A little thinner than the last one.  Reverse seared over lump and pecan at 110 F and seared on the Weber Kettle with the charcoal baskets,lid slightly open with the lid thermometer reading 600 F.

QSG-Np-P6s-Hjtkf4p-Jsk-FKp0-D0w-Yx-LJyr-

4vjmzqdm1-Yrsmf3-Gu-SRgm-YMWb-WXa-GOIX33

• Like 3