I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

30 minutes ago, luke duke said:

You take the time to cook a nice steak and you serve it with white rice and frozen vegetables? At least make a wedge salet or some potatoes or sauté some mushrooms.

I like rice.

The veggies are/were frozen, but they're organic so that makes it okay.

Seriously though, I have some brussel sprouts I wanted to roast, but my 7 year old won't touch them.  She'll actually eat the mixed veggie blend seen above.

Edited by Somnio

Surly reverse sear pros.... I'm a newbie but I thought I was going in with a strong plan.  Tell me where I went wrong.

- 18 oz Wagyu NY strip (HEB was open)

- Dry aged in the fridge for 5 days

- Took it out of the fridge 30 minutes before going into the oven and dusted with a layer of salt on both sides

- Preheat oven to 200

- Cook for 20 minutes, probe it at 85 degrees... put in for a total of another 20 minutes, probed at 110 degrees

- Removed and let it rest for 10 minutes

- Preheated my cast iron skillet on high heat (it was really fucking hot)

- Drizzled a little oil on both sides of the steak

- Dropped in the skillet, exactly 1 minute on each side

- Removed from the skillet, wrapped in foil, then proceeded to sauté some shrooms and onions in the skillet.  Probably sat in the foil for another 10 minutes.  I opened it up and poured the juices into the onion

- Cut it open and dammit if it isn't medium to medium well.  I was shooting for rare to medium rare

Any advice on where I went wrong?

ps.... tenderness was unbelievable as was the flavor, but slightly overdone for my taste.

Money shot (looks better than it was, unfortunately)

DAE5-F85-D-739-B-483-C-9-AA8-51363-AD814

Edited by b_p

The foil is always going to increases the carry over. Probably would have been perfect without it. I personally get mine up to the temp I want in the oven accounting for a few degrees of carry over and then rest on a wood cutting board either uncovered or a very loose foil cover for 10 min or so then sear. It is likely better the way you did it but my way is basically foolproof as far as doneness.

Also, a tight foil wrap is going to have a steaming component that is going to mess up the sear. Also, after/during the sear you should be temping it somewhat to know exactly where you are at. Plan on 3-5 degrees carryover. The foil wrap was more like 10-15 degrees carryover.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

The foil is always going to increases the carry over. Probably would have been perfect without it. I personally get mine up to the temp I want in the oven accounting for a few degrees of carry over and then rest on a wood cutting board either uncovered or a very loose foil cover for 10 min or so then sear. It is likely better the way you did it but my way is basically foolproof as far as doneness.

Also, a tight foil wrap is going to have a steaming component that is going to mess up the sear. Also, after/during the sear you should be temping it somewhat to know exactly where you are at. Plan on 3-5 degrees carryover. The foil wrap was more like 10-15 degrees carryover.

Yep, I figured it might've been the foil wrap.  What would you recommend if you want to do a sauce or a sauté after the sear?  Just let it sit uncovered?  Or forego that step and cook some bacon in anther pan to do the sauté?

Yep, I figured it might've been the foil wrap.  What would you recommend if you want to do a sauce or a sauté after the sear?  Just let it sit uncovered?  Or forego that step and cook some bacon in anther pan to do the sauté?
Either a loose foil then or a separate pan. If it is gonna be longer you could toss it in a warm toaster over but you really don't want it to be too hot
  • Like 1

One trick is to bag it and place it in cold water for a minute, that reduces the heat coming in from the outside so the core doesn't carry over as much. Then go back and sear.

But in your case, your issue was that you seared and then rested again while the onions cooked. The carryover from the sear is what overcooked yours, your initial cook and foil was probably perfect. If you're doing a rest and sear, you want to go direct from sear to table and cut, no more rest. Next time cook the onions while the steak is doing the first rest.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, b_p said:

Money shot (looks better than it was, unfortunately)

Sorry about the steak but hey...

Bright side is, congrats on being the first person in the history of shaggy/surly to be man enough to admit the picture actually made it look better than it was.  Usually the other way around.

With regard to the steak, as mentioned, yeah...the foil wrap fucked ya.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned in all of cooking and grilling, when it comes to meat:

The resting of the meat is really important, but it can overcook or get cold if done wrong.

Loose foil tent is the only way to go.

• Like 1

Wife just returned from Costco and was able to score 6 prime New Yorks, 6 prime filets, and 6 game hens.  She had more, but that's all she was allowed to buy.  Vacuum sealed them all just now and popped them in the freezer.  Along with our current supply, we should survive for a few weeks on the protein we have.

9 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Tried the rev. sear thing tonight on some ribeyes.

Will go oven / cast iron skillet on the stove next time I have a run @ it.

3d6ba21019cba9784420f201389fc5e9.jpg

038a0e68b1627e938e9ecd885095e7ea.jpg

b2767ed04064cbfdb7f2b8277dc67f92.jpg

e70db97e96ec5f16624c0f5b07dd7692.jpg

fffebe1cd69a622478adcb7f3bf18e25.jpg

3a058347f25e6222aa71a9de4da22141.jpg

0117423c3bf2e42ef902aab7365125a7.jpg

9eaaa4f2ec6db37db734b7780d7dcd43.jpg

efa66212fdaeb88c711f4459b57c4f5b.jpg

38e5660b4da933f9eb54710553b0dc65.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

“How much for the gun?”

I've always followed the first post from TOS. Never goes wrong.  Salt at room temp, wash off, pepper, oven at 175 at 30-60 minutes, then sear it.  I added the butter baste with rosemary/thyme at the end, and overshot this time.  Went from med rare to medium.

IMG_5888.thumb.jpg.fdbaa773eace832408cd1bad00d8db52.jpgIMG_5885.thumb.jpg.bda9b30dc461a3365efe56cc4332331b.jpg

• Like 1