I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

2 hours ago, futureman said:

if you’re gonna cook it well-done just buy sirloin. 

Akaushi cooks really really fast.  Probably 50% faster then a normal steak.  Takes a few attempts to get it right.  If that is a first attempt, I would say he did a pretty good job.  I have seen some guys cook it way past well done if they never cooked it before.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

This thing's not getting enough love.  How'd you cook it?

Step 1: 2.5 or so in the Sous Vide at 127

Step 2: Heat cast iron in 500 degree oven for like 20 minutes.

Step 3: Sear 1 minute or so per side while basting with clarified butter/rosemary/garlic mix.

Step 4: Listen to wife complain about smoke in apartment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

the people we bought our current house from did a money was kind of no object kitchen build(no humblebrag)

They put in a dual fan gigantic stainless hood that is only 6 feet and 1 90 degree from the exterior vent.  

Its a newer built home, If I put that thing on full the kitchen window glass panels actually flex slightly.   Not sure what the long term consequences of that i will be, but it gets rid of smoke in a hurry.

39 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

the people we bought our current house from did a money was kind of no object kitchen build(no humblebrag)

They put in a dual fan gigantic stainless hood that is only 6 feet and 1 90 degree from the exterior vent.  

Its a newer built home, If I put that thing on full the kitchen window glass panels actually flex slightly.   Not sure what the long term consequences of that i will be, but it gets rid of smoke in a hurry.

God, this was hard to read.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/3/2020 at 7:41 PM, Landomatic said:

Don't they all?  I've yet to find one that's worth a damn.

The key is a commercial/restaurant hood. They start around 3x the CFM airflow of the biggest 'home' fume hoods and go up from there. We've swapped them into our last 2 houses and simply haven't gotten to it yet at this house. Need to have an installer that actually understands how the ducting and joints severely restrict CFM, but once you get one properly installed, you fear nothing on the stove.

The key is a commercial/restaurant hood. They start around 3x the CFM airflow of the biggest 'home' fume hoods and go up from there. We've swapped them into our last 2 houses and simply haven't gotten to it yet at this house. Need to have an installer that actually understands how the ducting and joints severely restrict CFM, but once you get one properly installed, you fear nothing on the stove.

We’ve got two vent-a-hoods for a 48” range that vent pretty much straight out. They do a great job of sucking out the smoke. If I’m cooking bacon I don’t smell it in the house but I can smell it if I’m standing in my neighbors driveway.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

I haven't found that to be the case. I sear very hot and fast. I wonder if your sear overcooked it. 

there's definitely some gray there from the sear process (i need to flip more often and start the butter basting sooner).  but i don't think the sear would have reached the middle.  next time i'll take the temp post-sear i guess. 

other sous vide people, do y'all find that steaks appear to be more done than they are?  i did mine at 129°. 

Are you drying your steak after you remove it from the bag?

I quit cooking steaks sous vide. Getting a good seat took me too long since the outside of the steak was so moist. I started reverse searing in the oven and haven’t looked back. It helps that I can get my gas grill hot AF for a great sear.
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 12:39 PM, elfenix said:

other sous vide people, do y'all find that steaks appear to be more done than they are?  i did mine at 129°. 

I keep creeping my sous vide temperatures downward, based on the same observation.  But I like my meat on the rare side of things. Texture there looks spot on for what I get in 130ish range. 

49 minutes ago, luke duke said:

I quit cooking steaks sous vide. Getting a good seat took me too long since the outside of the steak was so moist. I started reverse searing in the oven and haven’t looked back. It helps that I can get my gas grill hot AF for a great sear.

Also agree with this.  I think reverse sear is a generally better approach, and tend to enjoy a RS steak over a SV steak, although we are operating at top flight all around. I do think that there is an advantage for SV with extreme meat, such as a bone in, very thick cut, tomahawk. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Also agree with this.  I think reverse sear is a generally better approach, and tend to enjoy a RS steak over a SV steak, although we are operating at top flight all around. I do think that there is an advantage for SV with extreme meat, such as a bone in, very thick cut, tomahawk. 

I'm on Team Reverse Sear.  Thick Costco NY Strips are my usual bag.

53 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Are you drying your steak after you remove it from the bag?

yeah pat dry with lots of paper towel while heating the pan up.  maybe break out a heat gun next time?  light coat of avocado oil into smoking pan.  if i remember to do so, i'll flip more often.  only 7 more steaks to go from this primal so plenty of experimentation to do. 

the scraps left after i'd eaten most of the meat were a much brighter red. 

Edited by elfenix

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

maybe break out a heat gun next time? 

Sometime I pre dry out my cuts with a searzall before throwing them in teh cast iron.  The SV is a wet cooking method, vs the RS as a dry cooking method.  The latter will always give you a better crust.  The former will also give you a more uniform doneness across a range of size from small to roast size cooks.