I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

Got lucky. Colleague at school had a friend who lived in anchorage at Christmas.  Steaks were on sale at Fred meyer(think Kroger’s).  One item on sale was beef tenderloin, The whole thing, for $10.99 per pound.  Choice.  Bought it, sight unseen.  I had always wanted to butcher one of those.  Watched YouTube, pretty easy, took me about 20 minutes to butcher.  It was a little over 7 pounds total.  After butchering, I got 8 beautiful filet mignons, wrapped them in bacon, toothpick.  They were so tasty, I will never buy precut filet mignons again. Weighed between 6 and 9 ounces.  On the flip side, because tenderloin is lean, the remainder that I ground up was just average.  I think next time I will throw some fat in there. I still prefer ny strip or ribeye, but if I’m eating filet, I want to cut it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

@futureman Steak Appreciation Chart:

5 Stars:  You  haven't cooked your steak

4 Stars:  You undercooked your steak

3 Stars:  You perfectly cooked your steak

2 Stars:  Your steak is medium rare

1 Star:  Your steak is a bit overcooked for most people who appreciate a medium rare steak

you’ve been reading my mail. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I’m a huge fan of the grass fed steaks from HEB. Bought a couple NY strips tonight and roasted some baby potatoes with olive oil, garlic, and parsley. No greens on my plate because I felt like being a caveman. 
A73D241A-2915-42C0-BF6C-50DD19FC29C8.thumb.jpeg.a46ef17e6ce5707051ac2b9b951981e8.jpeg
627AB77B-461D-4C9B-9287-2C5085EF1969.thumb.jpeg.da350cc39ab2cac4640045174ce10552.jpeg

The rivets on the plate really tie the meal together.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:11 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

I’m a huge fan of the grass fed steaks from HEB. Bought a couple NY strips tonight and roasted some baby potatoes with olive oil, garlic, and parsley. No greens on my plate because I felt like being a caveman. 

A73D241A-2915-42C0-BF6C-50DD19FC29C8.jpeg

627AB77B-461D-4C9B-9287-2C5085EF1969.jpeg

Nice work, but you're no caveman if either one of my nemesis, sous vide or reverse searing were involved! What seasoning did you use?

On 3/13/2021 at 9:11 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

A73D241A-2915-42C0-BF6C-50DD19FC29C8.jpeg

627AB77B-461D-4C9B-9287-2C5085EF1969.jpeg

those taters are good, perfect for roasting with rosemary/sage, salt, pepper, and oil.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/11/2021 at 6:16 AM, futureman said:

I will say that I grew up watching my mom open the butcher paper, put salt and pepper on a sirloin, and eat it right there with a fork and knife still cold from the fridge. so your ratings chart is more or less correct. 

Grimms' Fairy Tales - Little Red Riding Hood (Wolf as Grandma) Full Colour  Illustration (a) | Red riding hood wolf, Red riding hood, Little red riding  hood

Is that your mom in bed? She's a carnivore!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, fwtxbevo said:

Nice work, but you're no caveman if either one of my nemesis, sous vide or reverse searing were involved! What seasoning did you use?

I used Montreal steak seasoning, although honestly it would’ve been great with just S&P as well. I actually just cooked this on my Kamado grill. I was pleased with the result.

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

those taters are good, perfect for roasting with rosemary/sage, salt, pepper, and oil.

S&P, garlic, parsley, and oil on these. Didn’t think about Rosemary but I’ll have to try that out sometime too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I used Montreal steak seasoning, although honestly it would’ve been great with just S&P as well. I actually just cooked this on my Kamado grill. I was pleased with the result.

S&P, garlic, parsley, and oil on these. Didn’t think about Rosemary but I’ll have to try that out sometime too. 

I love you man! Lol!!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

america's test kitchen says cook from frozen rather than thawing:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/science-explains-how-to-cook-frozen-beef-for-the-perfect-steak-dinner?utm_source=pocket-newtab

i guess you'd salt then freeze

None of that.  You know you want steak for dinner.  Move that shit from the freezer to the fridge while you're making morning coffee.

10 hours ago, tigol said:

None of that.  You know you want steak for dinner.  Move that shit from the freezer to the fridge while you're making morning coffee.

Or, if you’re like me and never think that far in advance, move from freezer to counter by around 3:00-4:00 PM.  Will easily be thawed in time for dinner at a reasonable hour.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, brown water said:

In honor of the Masters opening round. 2 lb bone in ribeye over pimento cheese mashed potatoes 

19EEEAC2-6377-4F6C-BD0E-FB33BB560F02.jpeg

There's no way that's edible bone marrow, right?  Right?

You should lie and say it was, just to solidify yourself as the king of steaks.  Whole other level shit.

Either way, looks great...as per ushe

My 1st post in this group. I hope y'all approve. It was the best I've done. Bachelor weekend with my son and I as mom and 2 others are away at a Vball tourney and older son had HS baseball game. Please excuse how my 15 yr old still cuts a steak up before he eats it. 2 Delmonicos I bought. Brought to room temp for 4 hours. Seared both sides on cast iron for 2 mins each. Threw chunk of butter on each then in oven until 136 internal. Still a McCormicks fan so that's the seasoning. Top 2 steaks I've ever made. Delmonico is still I think the best steak. 

spacer.png

20210417-210214.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

My 1st post in this group. I hope y'all approve. It was the best I've done. Bachelor weekend with my son and I as mom and 2 others are away at a Vball tourney and older son had HS baseball game. Please excuse how my 15 yr old still cuts a steak up before he eats it. 2 Delmonicos I bought. Brought to room temp for 4 hours. Seared both sides on cast iron for 2 mins each. Threw chunk of butter on each then in oven until 136 internal. Still a McCormicks fan so that's the seasoning. Top 2 steaks I've ever made. Delmonico is still I think the best steak. 

spacer.png

20210417-210214.jpg

Oh and I think this will piss y'all off with a $20 steak but after seasoning I take a meat mallet and lightly pound the seasoning into the meat. I also dry off both sides of the steak with a paper towel before I drop on high heat skillet. 

• 2 weeks later...
Figured out a small tree in the backyard died from the winter bullshit so I cut that down and figured that warranted a nice steak dinner. Got a 27 day aged ribeye from central market, broiled some shishito peppers, made up a few wedge salads and a couple baked taters. Was good.

6e75743f6de1b4bbd6d17a4769b7fba7.jpg
585c70b2d2dbf2b73cdc1d0cde00dae7.jpg
2f196a8ac03694b6cbb05ad3560392f0.jpg

Damn near perfect. Points deducted for the red onions on the wedge salad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Drool 1

Picked up some great, thick, rib steaks. It’s finally nice enough here to grill, so I heated up the Weber right after work. I love the flavor of the open grill, but also want to control flare ups, so I took the cast iron out to the balcony.

Getting the sear and open grill flavor first.

8ecf413714edf2621effe5a15ab5bc3e.jpg

Butter, garlic, rosemary to the pan and continuing to get that perfect sear.

3d965692391b2f799d82bacdec1e0ab5.jpg

Finish with compound garlic chive butter? Of course!

020ad1e101e3e8422ae856e378b76c30.jpg

Yes, this is the way....

ba32c68113bb2bfb18ea6020dcd37fe6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

People are funny. The other day, my wife was out of town and I had my three kids. One of the other parents at my son's soccer game came up to me and said "my wife is concerned about you guys this weekend. She wants to know if she can have dinner delivered tonight." 

I was like "motherfucker, tonight I am going to grill prime ribeyes to the rare side of medium rare while I drink Stoli out of the freezer. Then I'm going to let them rest slathered in sage garlic butter while I finish the red wine mushrooms, twice-baked potatoes, and roasted brussels sprouts with bacon. Then after dinner we are all going to eat ice cream on the couch while we watch King Kong and Godzilla smash everything in surround sound. Then I am putting the kids to bed and sitting on my patio under my hanging lights while I drink bourbon and smoke a cigar. Today is the best day of my entire life and nothing else is even close. The offer of a casserole is politely declined. But I hope you guys have a nice evening tonight." Then I sent him pictures of resting steaks, drinks, etc. all night long.

Beer Salute GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...