I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

That it's damn near impossible to get it cooked right?  Because no matter what, it seems like it's raw by the bone and over cooked away from the bone?

Unless you have a commercial steak cooker you will have to use a combination of direct (think sear) and indirect (think oven) heat to get it cooked evenly.

4 hours ago, luke duke said:

oreally.jpg

b4d6117dfa02015662d26cf3811d8db0.jpg
a077e9abafed8fa9c9e712f2d3fb3fe8.jpg

First of all...not as thick as OP steak.  Second...show me the inch or so closest to the bone and the inch or so farthest from it.  Of course there will be a couple slices in there that are perfect if you nail that part.  I have never, at home or in the best steakhouses, seen a consistent cook with a bone in that’s as thick as what we’re talking about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

First of all...not as thick as OP steak.  Second...show me the inch or so closest to the bone and the inch or so farthest from it.  Of course there will be a couple slices in there that are perfect if you nail that part.  I have never, at home or in the best steakhouses, seen a consistent cook with a bone in that’s as thick as what we’re talking about.

In other words, “I can’t do that”

• Like 1

safeway had some filet for half off regular, ended up about $8/lb. probably end cuts or something, shape was weird but fuck it ball on a budget.

reverse sear, left in too long so let it rest 15 minutes before sear. worked out well, thought I overcooked it.

Also used a meat press (bacon press? heavy metal thing to smash meat) for first time. Did a good job taking the weird uneven cut of the meat and creating a uniform ish surface for even crust and cooking. anyone use a press when cooking? first I've messed with it, can see it being useful.

zDyinZD43Pe8lauiJCB_FJHiRCmw-MYWek-Iammy

11 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Neither can you. Nobody can.

To be fair, the steakhouses are probably not using a sous vide technique. I'm assuming they all use a broiler. Maybe cooking it very slowly via sous vide allows even cooking even with the bone. I'm skeptical as well since I would assume you'd have to apply temperature with a gradient in order to cook the bone side at a higher temp in order to achieve an even cook but I can't say that sous vide wouldn't do the trick since i've never tried it.

12 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Got a prime strip. Cooked it on the cast iron. ‘‘Twas good
14e85ac59e232b2ad95d5f1ecfe2fa00.jpg

Pro tip- I love a strip but when selecting a cut make sure you don't get the vein side of the loin. Unless you like your steak medium well to well it's going to be chewy as fuck. 

That half circle in the middle of the steak above is the vein. cooking at the correct temp (med rare) is not recommended

Another pic of cuts one from the vein end and one from the rib end (the good stuff) About halfway through the loin the vein begins and it gets bigger as you get further down vein side of the loin.

cuts-of-meat-jpg.625780

I always ask the meat counter to show me both sides of the strip before purchasing. 

• Like 7

Since HEB cuts their steaks too thin, I always ask them to cut me a strip at an inch and a half. That's what I got. And you're right, I had to kind of eat around that shit because it was too chewy. It was also slightly under-cooked, which might have contributed to that. I'll always err on the side of being underdone than overdone. But I did not know about this vein business, and will certainly keep an eye out for it in the future. Thanks!

10 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Pro tip- I love a strip but when selecting a cut make sure you don't get the vein side of the loin. Unless you like your steak medium well to well it's going to be chewy as fuck. 

That half circle in the middle of the steak above is the vein. cooking at the correct temp (med rare) is not recommended

Another pic of cuts one from the vein end and one from the rib end (the good stuff) About halfway through the loin the vein begins and it gets bigger as you get further down vein side of the loin.

cuts-of-meat-jpg.625780

I always ask the meat counter to show me both sides of the strip before purchasing. 

Interesting.  So to be clear, of the three pictured, the bottom left is the only good one?  Just making sure I’m reading it right.

10 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Since HEB cuts their steaks too thin, I always ask them to cut me a strip at an inch and a half. That's what I got. And you're right, I had to kind of eat around that shit because it was too chewy. It was also slightly under-cooked, which might have contributed to that. I'll always err on the side of being underdone than overdone. But I did not know about this vein business, and will certainly keep an eye out for it in the future. Thanks!

I do the same but ask them to avoid the vein. They usually accommodate.  

30 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Whoa!!!  I trust you probably more than anyone on here when it comes to a steak, but that’s a shit ton of fat.  Good luck, godspeed, report back...and happy 4th

I thought the same thing.  But when you look at the marbling, I'm not sure it doesn't balance that out.  Obviously, a lot of inedible (if you're not Spalding) parts, but the good parts are very good.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 4:12 PM, dcbc said:

I thought the same thing.  But when you look at the marbling, I'm not sure it doesn't balance that out.  Obviously, a lot of inedible (if you're not Spalding) parts, but the good parts are very good.

If you’re not eating the fat you’re doing it wrong. Add some to the meatier bites if you can handle it on its own. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 7:18 PM, brown water said:

Progress report.   Grill pan was plenty hot.  Steaks have been seared.  About to move to oven to cook to temp and then to smoker for a few minutes to finish.   I've switched from blantons to 4rsb oesv. Cheers. 

14wcbpt.jpg    

255i7ua.jpg

So you smoke at the end?  I use a low-temp smoke on the Traeger first, then sear and cook from there.  Is there a benefit to smoking at the end?

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

So you smoke at the end?  I use a low-temp smoke on the Traeger first, then sear and cook from there.  Is there a benefit to smoking at the end?

Not sure. But my thought was it is essentially a continuation of cooking to the right internal temp albeit at a lower temp so it may ease into the resting process as well.  And that finishing with smoke was more likely to retain that flavor that smoking at the beginning.  

5 minutes ago, brown water said:

Not sure. But my thought was it is essentially a continuation of cooking to the right internal temp albeit at a lower temp so it may ease into the resting process as well.  And that finishing with smoke was more likely to retain that flavor that smoking at the beginning.  

Cooking steaks tonight.  Will try it

On 7/4/2018 at 7:18 PM, brown water said:

Progress report.   Grill pan was plenty hot.  Steaks have been seared.  About to move to oven to cook to temp and then to smoker for a few minutes to finish.   I've switched from blantons to 4rsb oesv. Cheers. 

14wcbpt.jpg    

255i7ua.jpg

rep for flames and downdraft hood. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1