I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

17 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Seriously those might be two of the best marbled and perfectly butchered strips I have seen. 

Agree - were spectacular.  From CM in Southlake.  True story, I’ve been teaching Mrs. Sola (no pics) how to select steaks so that she can do well when shopping solo.  She was with me at the time and I asked her to select the steaks.  She selected those, and I was all like:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Victory in Vasectomy Day.

Sous vide prime strips from the freezer. 125 turned up to 130 at the very end. couldnt break out the real burner so finished on stove top in butter and olive oil. Cooked past a little bit where I would like since the heat wasnt quite hot enough. But destroyed. 

ABF3_DFFB_6_E56_43_B5_A239_C67537375_EE1

41_DF92_D4_3_B03_4611_BBBA_6_B3_CD1_BEE5

• Like 1

99 Ranch has wagyu at a decent price. Steak cuts are $26.99 lbs. Thin Asian style are like $8/lbs.

Here’s a pic of some small ones. They had some 8-10 oz strips also.

8ab56bde28dff69d4903725421ac73e8.jpg

So tri-tip is now a steak? I used to pay $8 or $9/lb for Wagyu tri-tip from Strube Ranch about 5-6 years ago. That was some good shit.

On 3/25/2018 at 2:24 PM, Celery Man said:

Apologies to SmartAsset if he makes the leap, but quoting for the original steak methodology from that thread

Sorry for quoting such an old post, but the comment about buying at the farmer's market is dead on. Wife bought some pork chops at the farmer's market last Sat. Best goddamn pork chops I have ever  put into my mouth.

And that's a whole lot of pork chops, let me tell you.

From this day forward, all meat consumed at the Drifter household will be bought at the farmer's market whenever possible.

Tonight, I cooked a sirloin for the kids to split, a filet for the wife and a nice looking NY strip for me. Finished with some fancy ass Himalayan sea salt we got as a gift. Also cooked some fresh green beans and mushrooms in some bacon fat. Turned out so damn good.

Resting and soaking up that pink salt

5ff161d8921532879cb93cddb815f6b1.jpg

Mine. Perfect medium rare

c87aafc4f5fc23e2cee87638d40417ba.jpg

The whole gang

ae17c505579f2d9b86dcbf700c428917.jpg

Ridiculous sea salt kit
b5209339bd7e8aa9a8a2bae0e75cfdac.jpg

• Like 3

Yes. Tell us more about those artichokes. 

Fake decorations. I don’t fight it anymore. We have fake artichokes some oversized pears, fake lemons or limes I think, pumpkins in the fall, all kinds of stuff. Also have some fake moss in a basket hanging from the wall and your typical barnyard of chickens pigs and a rabbit. None of it edible. Although we did find our 2 year olds teeth marks in one of them
  • Like 2

Still don’t understand how you get such an amazing crust on those things every single time.  Can you review your methods one more time.  Slowly for those of us who struggle to keep up.

And happy birthday by the way.

Id like a youtube video tutorial. Pictures only do so much. I want the real thing.

Including being at the market selecting the steak

Finally got a chance to get one of the Costco prime ribeye caps

c9ae011db1b180fcb2068429b74964a1.jpg

Sous vide for almost three hours then seared over charcoal chimney

5d235e15326a6beac6ad109d12f80065.jpg

Once you cut the string holding it, it sorta falls apart but it might be one of the best steaks I've ever eaten

4417fb8f0f701696d1de80f092e31eae.jpg

(Served with garlic butter red potatoes and stuffed portabello cap)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried my hand at my first reverse sear last night.  Not sure if I did something wrong or what, but I didn't love the result.  Just had kind of a funky taste and texture to it.  They were also somewhat dry feeling even though they were actually super juicy...weird I know.  They were cooked perfect medium rare.  The sear wasn't great but it was nothing to sneeze at.  Here's what I did...

1) Salt and Pepper

2) Put in oven on a wire rack at 250* for about 35 mins (they were about 2.5" thick fillets) until they probed right at 115*.

3) Seared all sides in an iron skillet as hot as I could get it in clarified butter.  Top of gas Wolf range on full blast so not sure how I could have gotten much hotter unless I put it on an open flame.

I pretty much followed the directions I found online exactly so I'm not really sure what went wrong.

Only a few things I can think of that might have caused this.

1) Maybe the quality of the beef to start with wasn't all that great.  Wife picked them up at the local Tom Thumb (wouldn't be my normal go-to choice and steak selection isn't her forte by any means) and I didn't bother checking to see what they were so I don't know.

2) The directions I was following said there is no need to rest when doing reverse sear, but these were "bleeding" all over the place as if they needed to rest.

3) Maybe I'm just not a fan of this method.

Pics actually make it look better than it was...

Z3egDn.jpg

fBWBW8.jpg

• Like 2

That'd definitely eat, Lando.  One thing to try.... after the oven, let rest a bit and also pat VERY dry then sear in a dry skillet for a little longer - you want to pull the steak out a little earlier and then get a deeper sear without overcooking.

To be fair, I only ever Sous Vide and so not as practiced at the reverse method, but that has helped with the SV steaks I make.

But, if that's the worst you're getting, you're doing just fine.