I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

On 10/26/2018 at 11:25 PM, PorscheGuy said:

No lie. Friend of mine who has ownership in a high end restaurant swears that it’s near impossible cook a filet well done consistently. So whenever they get an unwashed heathen who orders one, they cook it medium with a seared outside and throw it in the microwave for 90-120 seconds to cook it from the inside out without completely drying it out. After they switched to this method, no one bitched about their well done filet, while he laughs all the way to the bank not giving two shits he just nuked your $65 steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously it depends on how thick the filet is cut. Or another pro tip since they want it well done, cut the fucker almost in half (butterfly it) and that way you can get it to Med Well or Well and not overcook the shit out of the other filets that you are cooking to a non heathen temp. 

Plus it will show everyone at the party that the person not only ruined a beautiful cut of meat but also likes to eat over cooked meat.

Edit- As far as the microwave goes that was called 'broiler 4" at the steakhouse I worked at in college. That way someone passing the kitchen didn't know you were putting something in the microwave to finish cooking it! 

butterfly+fillet.jpg

Edited by JimmyHoffa

On 11/7/2018 at 7:32 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

Obviously it depends on how thick the filet is cut. Or another pro tip since they want it well done, cut the fucker almost in half (butterfly it) and that way you can get it to Med Well or Well and not overcook the shit out of the other filets that you are cooking to a non heathen temp. 

Plus it will show everyone at the party that the person not only ruined a beautiful cut of meat but also likes to eat over cooked meat.

Edit- As far as the microwave goes that was called 'broiler 4" at the steakhouse I worked at in college. That way someone passing the kitchen didn't know you were putting something in the microwave to finish cooking it! 

butterfly+fillet.jpg

I've decided I'm a dick and I dont care anymore. Red meat is cooked to medium rare. You don't like it, then there will be chicken or something else for you to eat. I won't disrespect the beast that gave up it's life for our enjoyment and sustinance to turn it into fucking jerky. 

• Like 5

On 10/12/2018 at 3:42 PM, brown water said:

Busy couple weeks.  Sorry guys.  When things slow down I'll try to get a video.  

Short version.  

Yes a grill pan. As hot as you can get it - preferably outside unless you like a smoky house.  Then grape seed oil in the pan - it should be slightly smoking.  Steak in.  Rock the pan a couple times so the hot oil also sears the steak.  Flip and repeat.  I often do several short sears on each side rather than one or two longer flips.  

Also if I've got the time I'll rest  the steak between flips  a few minutes on the oven tray (with a cooling rack inside) that I'll use once transfered to the oven.  This allows both the steak to stop cooking and the pan to regain whatever temperature was lost while the meat was in it.  

I'll also add more oil so there is always enough to be charring the bottom while searing.  You know things are on track when you flip the steak and it looks like coffee foam on the side being cooked.  

Hope this helps.  Cheers.  

Sorry guys. I haven't been able to get videos to post. Here's a link that follows the process above. If any of you can help me with posting pics and videos instead of a link that would be great. I was hoping to get everything put together in a one place  

https://m.imgur.com/a/ewzQEOw

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, brown water said:

Sorry guys. I haven't been able to get videos to post. Here's a link that follows the process above. If any of you can help me with posting pics and videos instead of a link that would be great. I was hoping to get everything put together in a one place  

https://m.imgur.com/a/ewzQEOw

I’m thinking there has to be something to the ridges on that grill pan vs the flat surface of a regular cast iron pan.  Something about letting that hot oil flow freely underneath it maybe?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I’m thinking there has to be something to the ridges on that grill pan vs the flat surface of a regular cast iron pan.  Something about letting that hot oil flow freely underneath it maybe?

yeah, i think that there is definitely something to that. 

• Like 1

Picked up a cast iron grill pan yesterday. Just had a little strip in the fridge so I figured I'd give it a try. Mother fucker. Epiphany. 

Doing some rib eyes this weekend to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I didn't get brown water level crust but it was the best, most consistent I've gotten. 

44 minutes ago, pops said:

Picked up a cast iron grill pan yesterday. Just had a little strip in the fridge so I figured I'd give it a try. Mother fucker. Epiphany. 

Doing some rib eyes this weekend to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I didn't get brown water level crust but it was the best, most consistent I've gotten. 

I’ll be damned.  Who knew.  See...despite what my wife thinks, Surly is good for something.

1 hour ago, pops said:

yep, ordered one from amazon based on this thread. will give is a shot.  have some bone in strips in the freezer.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled out some strips for dinner.  The cast iron grill pan saw its first action.  Poured a Blantons to keep me company at the grill station in homage to our friend @brown water. There is definitely something to keeping the meat a bit elevated over the oil.  There is a fry effect if you have the temp right. The first one I probably didn't let the avocado oil get hot enough before jumping in. My only complaint is that the grill pan is not really big enough to do two steaks at once. Usually I break out my 27" and can knock two out at the same time. I don't feel that the crust result surpassed my standard method with the flat bottom pan. But there is something here, I am going to have to spend more time honing the jedi skills with this grill pan. Served with grilled cabbage and cauli mash. 

ETA: Forgot to add. Sous vide @ 125 prior to searing, which I believe is another deviation from bw's method. 

6-ACB5-AF8-A46-E-413-C-A932-EF921-DAC95-

4-BD53-C00-F5-CE-4-AC4-8-ACE-461055-B4-F

5-E052230-3-B0-B-49-F4-A6-C6-84664-A3-E1

BA5-A1-F7-C-2-BAE-4-D98-9-F5-C-C98-A4-F2

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 9

On 12/1/2018 at 8:07 PM, Anastasis said:

Pulled out some strips for dinner.  The cast iron grill pan saw its first action.  Poured a Blantons to keep me company at the grill station in homage to our friend @brown water. There is definitely something to keeping the meat a bit elevated over the oil.  There is a fry effect if you have the temp right. The first one I probably didn't let the avocado oil get hot enough before jumping in. My only complaint is that the grill pan is not really big enough to do two steaks at once. Usually I break out my 27" and can knock two out at the same time. I don't feel that the crust result surpassed my standard method with the flat bottom pan. But there is something here, I am going to have to spend more time honing the jedi skills with this grill pan. Served with grilled cabbage and cauli mash. 

ETA: Forgot to add. Sous vide @ 125 prior to searing, which I believe is another deviation from bw's method. 

6-ACB5-AF8-A46-E-413-C-A932-EF921-DAC95-

4-BD53-C00-F5-CE-4-AC4-8-ACE-461055-B4-F

5-E052230-3-B0-B-49-F4-A6-C6-84664-A3-E1

BA5-A1-F7-C-2-BAE-4-D98-9-F5-C-C98-A4-F2

Lodge makes a 12 inch (yours looks like the 10.5), but it appears to be thinner than the 10.5?  What is the solution, two 10.5s?

22 hours ago, Anastasis said:

One of those reversible griddles might do it. 

Yeah, but how you gonna do the rocking motion with no handle?  I think that was the secret...moving that hot oil back and forth under the meat, which you'd absolutely need the handle for.

Also, I might be misremembering here (happens a lot), but I don't think @brown water uses cast iron.  In fact, for some reason I think he just uses some cheap thing he bought at like TJ Max or something.  I'm sure he'll check back in sometime in the next few weeks and set us all straight.

EDIT:  Just went back through my Amazon orders and I think it was this one, which is cast iron...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018AGJQA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I ordered it per Brown Water's recommendation and then when I got it I felt like it was tiny and wouldn't really work for me so I think I sent it back.  But according to my orer history, it was back in January 2015 so I don't really know.  The fact that I even remember some of the info is a freaking miracle.

Edited by Landomatic
misremembering

I think a well marbled prime strip is like the best of both worlds. Has a lot of the best attributes of a ribeye (tenderness and flavor) without all the hassle of a bunch of shit you have to cut around. Like a filet you can eat most all of it.

But it better be marbled. A shitty strip eats like a sirloin.

b7857b00308ab38e652a87c9eb471206.jpg

13 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Swear to bevo, I've never had a strip in my life. I always have only gotten ribeye or filet. What's the appeal?

I have a buddy who orders them exclusively  whenever he goes to a steakhouse and I don’t get the appeal.  I’ve tried them a couple times at some higher end places (so they were supposed to be good) and they’ve always been too tough for my liking.  Great flavor though.

18 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Swear to bevo, I've never had a strip in my life. I always have only gotten ribeye or filet. What's the appeal?

Well, I can't say that, but I've never had one that wasn't tough as a boot, so I haven't had one in a hell of a long time.   There's got to be a secret there somewhere.

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Well, I can't say that, but I've never had one that wasn't tough as a boot, so I haven't had one in a hell of a long time.   There's got to be a secret there somewhere.

There is, all over this thread.  

I need to go back and read it in it's entirety then, and not the hit and miss hunt and peck I usually do.

Basically it goes like this

Buy a really well marbled PRIME strip about an inch and a half thick.

Slow roast it in your oven at 200 until the internal temp gets to be 126

Rest 10 minutes

Sear the piss out of it on a scalding cast iron skillet.

Enjoy

91c558f54fb3a216b65cc04594feaec2.jpg

On 12/6/2018 at 1:16 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

Nope. No secret. They all taste like crap. You should never buy one. Stick with the other cuts so the price of strips drops for me.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 9:21 AM, Landomatic said:

Yeah, but how you gonna do the rocking motion with no handle?  I think that was the secret...moving that hot oil back and forth under the meat, which you'd absolutely need the handle for.

Also, I might be misremembering here (happens a lot), but I don't think @brown water uses cast iron.  In fact, for some reason I think he just uses some cheap thing he bought at like TJ Max or something.  I'm sure he'll check back in sometime in the next few weeks and set us all straight.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:27 AM, Landomatic said:

EDIT:  Just went back through my Amazon orders and I think it was this one, which is cast iron...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018AGJQA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I ordered it per Brown Water's recommendation and then when I got it I felt like it was tiny and wouldn't really work for me so I think I sent it back.  But according to my orer history, it was back in January 2015 so I don't really know.  The fact that I even remember some of the info is a freaking miracle.

Checking in right on schedule to say Lando is 100% correct.