Guy Trip Ideas

Spur08

Some buddies and I were talking about doing another guys golf weekend and, since one of the guys doesn't golf, the conversation turned into another idea.  We discussed having an annual guys trip where someone selects the trip and we go through a rotation.  That way we don't get stuck doing golf trips every year with the one guy who only wants to spend money on golf every chance he gets.

I was trying to get some ideas but, when I googled it, all that came up was stupid shit like "guys trip to Italy, trek the Amazon, spend the night sleeping on a volcano."  Don't get me wrong, I like a good guy's golf or Vegas weekend, but I'm looking for some other ideas that we can consider.  Budget wouldn't be huge $500-$1K for the weekend, probably sans travel costs.

We've done:

- Vegas (golf, gambling, food, drink)

- New Orleans (food, drink, gambling, golf)

- Garwood Texas (goose hunts)

- Various Texas State Parks (fishing, boating, campfire, drinking)

- Various Longhorn football road trips across the country (Omaha for the GDGG Nebraska game, Ft Collins for the Wyoming game, NYC for Rutgers game were some of my favorites)

- Dallas (Sept trip included Rangers game, Cowboys game, concert)

Other options within driving distance are: Texas coast, Frio River, lakeslakeslakes, Pampa

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

We've done:

- Vegas (golf, gambling, food, drink)

- New Orleans (food, drink, gambling, golf)

- Garwood Texas (goose hunts)

- Various Texas State Parks (fishing, boating, campfire, drinking)

- Various Longhorn football road trips across the country (Omaha for the GDGG Nebraska game, Ft Collins for the Wyoming game, NYC for Rutgers game were some of my favorites)

- Dallas (Sept trip included Rangers game, Cowboys game, concert)

Other options within driving distance are: Texas coast, Frio River, lakeslakeslakes, Pampa

Lulz @ Garwood.  I grew up there.  

1 hour ago, Spur08 said:

Some buddies and I were talking about doing another guys golf weekend and, since one of the guys doesn't golf, the conversation turned into another idea.  We discussed having an annual guys trip where someone selects the trip and we go through a rotation.  That way we don't get stuck doing golf trips every year with the one guy who only wants to spend money on golf every chance he gets.

I was trying to get some ideas but, when I googled it, all that came up was stupid shit like "guys trip to Italy, trek the Amazon, spend the night sleeping on a volcano."  Don't get me wrong, I like a good guy's golf or Vegas weekend, but I'm looking for some other ideas that we can consider.  Budget wouldn't be huge $500-$1K for the weekend, probably sans travel costs.

pick a random NFL or college game that y’all aren’t emotionally invested in.  maybe bears packers at lambeau or raiders chiefs at arrowhead.  or some big SEC matchup.  pick teams and wear some gear and get drunk and cheer like it matters to you.  I’ve done it before, it’s not bad. 

We're all mid 30s w toddlers/young kids who bleed us dry. Game trips is an option. We're all alums from different schools so UT centric stuff might be out unless it's my year. I like national park ideas but hungover hiking might suck.

I gotta ask, wtf is in pampa? Not sure if it's a joke or not which probably means it is? And typical gilbang with dicks on his mind.

14 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Damn there's only like 5 streets there, was there a school or did you have to bus to the metropolis of El Campo?

There’s a K-8th there, and you bus to Rice CISD for high school.  If you stayed at the Bucksnag, my house was right behind there toward the river.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

There’s a K-8th there, and you bus to Rice CISD for high school.  If you stayed at the Bucksnag, my house was right behind there toward the river.   

Cool.  We stayed at Garwood Hunt Club.  Pretty sure the fields we hunted were SW of town.  Then again, early morning hungover in the backseat of the truck freezing my balls off fucks with my sense of direction.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Lake Tahoe or Breckenridge ski trip might be fun. 

Shit, forgot about the Tahoe trips we took in the early 90s, fresh out of school - yeah I'm an old fuck.  One was a shoestring budget trip staying in Reno, I think one of those SWVacations RT air and 3 night deals for $225/pp or something ridiculous. 

Other trips were to Harvey's, no idea what it's like now.  Seem to recall the week after Thanksgiving having good rates.  Snow every year but one when floods kept Bay Area traffic away, we had the whole place to ourselves.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

We're all mid 30s w toddlers/young kids who bleed us dry. Game trips is an option. We're all alums from different schools so UT centric stuff might be out unless it's my year. I like national park ideas but hungover hiking might suck.

I gotta ask, wtf is in pampa? Not sure if it's a joke or not which probably means it is? And typical gilbang with dicks on his mind.

I’ve got a group of guys (all dads with young kids) and we do a national park hike every year. It’s amazing but you have to have the right disposition going into it. And just know the first year you all will be ill equipped amateurs. 

But if you want something more low key just pick a baseball stadium (coors field, Fenway, wrigley, at&t in San Fran) and build a weekend around it. It’s not that hard once you pick a location. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Cool.  We stayed at Garwood Hunt Club.  Pretty sure the fields we hunted were SW of town.  Then again, early morning hungover in the backseat of the truck freezing my balls off fucks with my sense of direction.  

Yep you were right by the farmers coop.   SW would be about right, out on the prairie toward Nada.  

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

We did a dudes trip to Milwaukee for a collective 40th birthday thing. It was fucking awesome. It’s like a cheaper and more manageable Chicago. Milwaukee rules.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

very very underrated city 

I wished my boy and I had spent more time there.  We did a day trip up to Green Bay from Chicago and down to Milwaukee for a Bucks game before heading back down to Chicago, should've just stayed overnight and explored Milwaukee the next day. 

I hear the Vancouver strip clubs are less likely to drug you and leave you for dead, so that might be an option. 

my guys trip is usually vegas, so I don’t have lots of insight. But I can speak to things I’d like to do and my wife is a likely non starter, and that would be hiking and national and state parks others have mentioned. Theres never a bad time to go to Tahoe and it has gambling. White water rafting and camping, etc. honestly renting a house and cooking and drinking beer and playing cards somewhere nice like that the smoky mountains would be pretty fucking badass. Everyone cooks a meal or two and just fuck around for 3-4 days with almost no agenda is vastly, vastly underrated. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, futureman said:

pick a random NFL or college game that y’all aren’t emotionally invested in.  maybe bears packers at lambeau or raiders chiefs at arrowhead.  or some big SEC matchup.  pick teams and wear some gear and get drunk and cheer like it matters to you.  I’ve done it before, it’s not bad. 

We’ve been doing this for a different college game for the last 15 years. It’s a highlight of the year. 

12 hours ago, futureman said:

This is highly recommended.  Back around 1996 or so a work colleague that graduated from Ole Miss and I went to the Alabama / LSU game in Baton Rouge.  Neither team was worth a shit that year so we bought tickets outside the stadium for less than face value.  Had an absolute blast getting toe-down fucked up at various tailgates before and after the game.