Titans @ Ravens: AFC Divisional Round

Vic Mackey

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:
2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:
Titans could have at least tried to get the first down

Nope, kill clock up 16 with less than 3 minutes left. Make them score and recover an onside kick, then score again. Titans are playing this perfectly.

a bootleg would have been an easy first down 

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

At least we don’t have to listen to pandering blowhards tell us how Lamar Jackson has changed football forever for a few months.

first player ever with 300 yards passing and rushing in a playoff game, you're still gonna hear about it 

Not saying how much of a difference it would have made tonite but with the bye and all their starters pretty much taking the final regular season off—it perhaps did hurt the Ravens?

also Vrabel is damn impressive. Whoever wins tomorrow is in for a fight for the AFC. Ofcourse KC is a different animal from Ravens. Texans I’m iffy on because BoB

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

first player ever with 300 yards passing and rushing in a playoff game, you're still gonna hear about it 

No way. This game put a huge damper in the Lamar being elite and trendsetting. How much of those stats when the game was out of hand and they were down 3 scores?

Titans headed to their first AFC championship game since 2002! Hottest team in the NFL right now. Beat the defending Super Bowl champs with the #1 defense in the NFL on the road now they straight up punked the #1 seed with the #1 offense. Titans have owned the Chiefs in recent years with 4 consecutive victories including one in the regular season.

• Like 1

Lotta talk about Henry and rightfully so, but the Titans defense is what is making this go.  Avoiding the pressure that today's pinball machine offenses can put on your team and plan when they score in bunches is allowing the offense to do its slow burn thing.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Lol how the fuck does Tannehill have less than 100 yards passing when he had like 40+ on one pass. That’s amazing 

Because the passing game hasn't had to do that much. They can run and Baltimore has gagged the game away something fierce--3 turnovers and 3 failed 4th down attempts on the Titans side of the field.  

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

No way. This game put a huge damper in the Lamar being elite and trendsetting. How much of those stats when the game was out of hand and they were down 3 scores?

yeah I posted earlier he had 300 yards vs prevent defense but we're still gonna hear about it.

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Not saying how much of a difference it would have made tonite but with the bye and all their starters pretty much taking the final regular season off—it perhaps did hurt the Ravens?

also Vrabel is damn impressive. Whoever wins tomorrow is in for a fight for the AFC. Ofcourse KC is a different animal from Ravens. Texans I’m iffy on because BoB

They had a stat early on with the records of teams who rested their starters in week 17 and then had a bye week. 9-5. Not sure the entire parameters on this.

I don't think it had to do with rest because usually that rust wears off and the team settles in. Ravens never really did. I don't think Lamar playing in a meaningless week 17 game would have made him better tonight. He looked god awful.

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

yeah I posted earlier he had 300 yards vs prevent defense but we're still gonna hear about it.

And no one should take them seriously if you spout of stats. This is why you can't just judge a player off stats on paper. You need to watch the game and get the full context. Lamar was bad tonight. His WRs were bad. They did have a chance to settle this game down and tie it up or take a lead. They didn't punch it in at the end of the 1st half. Settled for 3. Stuffed on two 4th and inches. Both of these were game changing because Tennessee scored quickly after. This game could have been way different had they just converted those.

42 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

There was a large faction who said Lamar's game could not be sustained in this league. His style will get him hurt eventually and at some point, he would have to get better as passing. This happens. Kaepernick and RG3 were supposed to be the future for a long time and defenses would have zero answer for their games. 

LJ is a very different player than VY. Vince was tall and a thrasher kind of runner. LJ is a freak of nature with his mixture of agility, acceleration and vision. RG3 was never really in the same league athletically as either of them IMO. Kaepernick is more like VY than LJ in terms of body type and athletic style

Of course VY had the wrong coaching staff and org on his side too. Kap had some good years and almost won a superbowl. Those guys could run ZR just fine but after that its dicey for them as dual threat QBs

put another way, a dual threat NFL QB has to be insanely athletic and therefore must be shorter IMO

LJ looked terrible in this game as it become more and more apparent they had to pass first. The ravens scheme isn't that at all. To your point there, eventually you will have to throw better to beat someone who can shutdown the run and frustrate the natural flow of the offense

Kudos to the Titans. I like them. They play hard and smart. 

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

Maybe Earl got a stinger.

Earl Thomas is very clearly not the same player he was even just 2 years back. He was always a small guy who really buffed up to play in the NFL. I think his body is just giving out on him at ~30 years old. He looks very stiff, uncertain of himself and not nearly as sudden as he used to be.

Saying that, in this game there were a few plays where he looked pretty sudden. but i have tried watching him all year long and just not seen too much from him. One of my favorite longhorn players ever. 

13 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Because the passing game hasn't had to do that much. They can run and Baltimore has gagged the game away something fierce--3 turnovers and 3 failed 4th down attempts on the Titans side of the field.  

It was a rhetorical question but thanks for answering honestly lol. 

11 minutes ago, Chad said:

Henry owned Earl all night. If you're gonna talk a big game you better bring it.

Yep , love Earl but Henry just bullied him, bad look after he ran his mouth. 

And he’s not the player that he was in the Seahawks legion of boom years , sucks what age does to all of us

5 minutes ago, staboner said:

Earl Thomas is very clearly not the same player he was even just 2 years back. He was always a small guy who really buffed up to play in the NFL. I think his body is just giving out on him at ~30 years old. He looks very stiff, uncertain of himself and not nearly as sudden as he used to be.

Saying that, in this game there were a few plays where he looked pretty sudden. but i have tried watching him all year long and just not seen too much from him. One of my favorite longhorn players ever. 

You're correct. Night and day difference from the "Legion of Boom" days.

Vrabel has a strategy. Bleed the clock. Force them to kick FGs. He just said in his presser he knew Tucker would make all of them (fuck ya). Said it was mainly important to score Tds in the red zone. They had a great game plan. Titans dominated the line of scrimmage. They know what Tannehill which is why they only had him throw 14 times basically. He’s just more effective than Mariota.