Titans @ Ravens: AFC Divisional Round

Vic Mackey

10 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Gettin a little Matt Leinart-y in here

14-2, best record in franchise history. A legit franchise. I get it. They got hit with a haymaker early and couldn’t recover. I’m sure they feel like if this was a 7 game series they’d win it in 5 games lol, but it doesn’t work like that. 

14 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Interesting, did you share this opinion on here before they lost in the playoffs? 

Can’t speak for him and I don’t know if I posted here or not, but many felt that way. I was part of multiple conversations this week about how the -10 line seemed big and the Ravens seem in an overhyped position where they might get popped in the mouth and the Titans are the physical type of team that could do it. Of course there were Raven believers getting defensive and jump to call people racist if you didn’t believe in Lamar. If you want to crown him, crown his ass!

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Can’t speak for him and I don’t know if I posted here or not, but many felt that way. I was part of multiple conversations this week about how the -10 line seemed big and the Ravens seem in an overhyped position where they might get popped in the mouth and the Titans are the physical type of team that could do it. Of course there were Raven believers getting defensive and jump to call people racist if you didn’t believe in Lamar. If you want to crown him, crown his ass!

Talking about the spread being too big is a little different than anyone predicting the beatdown the Titans delivered.  I honestly don't see how the game is an indictment of Lamar Jackson,   either.  Dude has had as productive a season as any QB could and shouldered the fuck out of the load when NOBODY before the season saw it coming.  His team got out coached and out-executed.  It's football.  That's the beauty of playing the games on the field, as opposed to eye tests, that some folks on here prefer for college ball.  Lamar Jackson is a badass mofo.  Last night didn't change that.

Henry kicked ass, right?  he had 52 more yards rushing than the opposing QB... and Jackson threw for 350 some odd yards passing.  he showed up.  he had 2  costly INTs.  It happens.

Edited by Iceman

A lot of weird shit can happen in a single game, and trying to draw too much from a single game "they are who we most of us thought they were" (lol) is a fool's errand. 

If these two teams play ten times the Ravens probably win seven of them.  We saw one of the other three last night.

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

A lot of weird shit can happen in a single game, and trying to draw too much from a single game "they are who we most of us thought they were" (lol) is a fool's errand. 

If these two teams play ten times the Ravens probably win seven of them.  We saw one of the other three last night.

turnovers, dropped passes, 4th down failures, inaccurate throws.

Just now, Sandman said:

He threw the ball 59 times, I should hope he got 350 out of that.  

Indeed.

It wasn't his typical game.  i also credited the Titans for out game-planning and executing that plan vs the Ravens.  I was just pointing out that this one game is hardly an indication that Lamar Jackson sucks or is overrated. He pulled double duty as RB by proxy as well, with an injured Ingram producing a whopping 22 yards rushing.

The other poster posited that Jackson was 'exposed' as who he thought Jackson was.  Dude still showed up. The game just didn't go their way that night.

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Indeed.

It wasn't his typical game.  i also credited the Titans for out game-planning and executing that plan vs the Ravens.  I was just pointing out that this one game is hardly an indication that Lamar Jackson sucks or is overrated. He pulled double duty as RB by proxy as well, with an injured Ingram producing a whopping 22 yards rushing.

The other poster posited that Jackson was 'exposed' as who he thought Jackson was.  Dude still showed up. The game just didn't go their way that night.

No no no.  It’s extremes only here, Bevo out front shoulda told ya

Talking about the spread being too big is a little different than anyone predicting the beatdown the Titans delivered.  I honestly don't see how the game is an indictment of Lamar Jackson,   either.  Dude has had as productive a season as any QB could and shouldered the fuck out of the load when NOBODY before the season saw it coming.  His team got out coached and out-executed.  It's football.  That's the beauty of playing the games on the field, as opposed to eye tests, that some folks on here prefer for college ball.  Lamar Jackson is a badass mofo.  Last night didn't change that.
Henry kicked ass, right?  he had 52 more yards rushing than the opposing QB... and Jackson threw for 350 some odd yards passing.  he showed up.  he had 2  costly INTs.  It happens.
This is a flawed way of looking at things. Stats on paper mean nothing by itself. And yards are not created equally. How much of Lamar's production was when they were down already behind big and the Titans traded yards to give up for the clock to run? In that case, Dak was the best QB this season. Had almost 5k yards passing. In fact, the top 5 QBs in yards missed the playoffs. You can rack up a lot of yards when your team is losing.

Henry's yards gained were way more valuable than Lamar's. His 66yd run changed the landscape of this game.

Lamar did not have a good game. He had 3 turnovers. His lone TD came when the game was pretty much over.

Lamar threw the ball 59 times. He also ran the ball 20 or so times. Shit, I hope he racked up a lot of yards. That's almost 90 plays. He wasn't efficient.
  • Like 1

Holy shit do people not know how football works by now? Stats on paper mean jack shit. You are doing nothing but showing how the Dallas Cowboys operate. So many times they win the pointless stat war on paper and get their ass kicked on the field. Why? Because they weren't efficient.

Oh and cut the if they played 10 times angle. This isn't baseball, hockey or basketball. Football doesn't operate like that so no point in even trying to bring that up.

Ravens got their ass kicked on the field in every possible way. The only people who bring up stat sheets are the losers. But but but we had better numbers!! It was a fluke. Riiiight.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is a flawed way of looking at things. Stats on paper mean nothing by itself. And yards are not created equally. How much of Lamar's production was when they were down already behind big and the Titans traded yards to give up for the clock to run? In that case, Dak was the best QB this season. Had almost 5k yards passing. In fact, the top 5 QBs in yards missed the playoffs. You can rack up a lot of yards when your team is losing.

Henry's yards gained were way more valuable than Lamar's. His 66yd run changed the landscape of this game.

Lamar did not have a good game. He had 3 turnovers. His lone TD came when the game was pretty much over.

Lamar threw the ball 59 times. He also ran the ball 20 or so times. Shit, I hope he racked up a lot of yards. That's almost 90 plays. He wasn't efficient.

Agreed on the stat piece, and I wasn't using them to say the Ravens "really won."

It was in one game...against a defense that knew that was all the Ravens had...

Total loser, right?  Fraud as a player...  nobody would ever want Lamar Jackson to head up their offense now.

Edited by Iceman

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

Interesting, did you share this opinion on here before they lost in the playoffs? 

I don't post much on the football board. Midway through the season I was watching them play though and did tell my friend I thought their offense would not work in the post-season. I just don't believe you can run your quarterback as much as they do and expect to win when it counts. It's nothing real revelatory here since I saw that same sentiment shared by other posters.

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I agree with that in almost all cases. The one stat that is pretty much never a fluke though is when your BMF running back has 200 on the ground in a playoff game.

You're goddamn right.

All the rest of this day-after armchair blah-blah means fuckall.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_single_game_playoffs.htm

The list of names that have a Top 20 All-Time Postseason performance is informative.

Here in the pregame Simms said Henry reminds him of Jim Brown.  Brown only had 4 postseason appearances, but never came close to making the Top 20, much less breaking the 150-yard post-season barrier.  Emmitt, the all-time career postseason leader, never broke 150 yards in the playoffs, which is the line for this list (with 51 total occurrences in NFL history).  Only 2 players appear twice on the Top 20 list.  Terrell Davis did it for the Broncos in 97 and 99.  He also has 2 other appearances on the list, for 4 total, twice as many as everyone else, with the exception of Henry.  A quick search shows 3 or 4 others with 2 appearances on the overall list.   So approximately 80% of the players on this list broke 150 yards one time.  Once.

The only other player that appears twice in the Top 20 list just did it in BACK TO BACK GAMES.

He is also tied for #46 on the list, having shredded KC for 156 yards 2 years ago, for a current total of 3 postseason games with 150+ yards.

Derrick Henry.

The Ent.

Edited by Hagbard Celine