Dallas | Sushi

Saint Austin

Tei-an is my go too, number one, can’t miss. Not as fun as Uchi or Nobu, but you just can’t find better consistent knock it out of the park sushi. Nobu is my second choice and uchi is a distant third.

Actually like the sushi at R+D kitchen. Don’t sleep on it. One of my favorite meals in Dallas, two rolls, their killer Hamburger, and a super cold grey goose martini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This may seem odd, but I think it's also nice have more casual/lower end options when you just one a couple rolls with some beer and sake.  On that note I submit Oishii.  Rolls are pretty cheap, but you can definitely still rack up a bill if you get into the special rolls and high end sushi/sashimi.

21 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

Tei-an is my go too, number one, can’t miss. Not as fun as Uchi or Nobu, but you just can’t find better consistent knock it out of the park sushi. Nobu is my second choice and uchi is a distant third.

Actually like the sushi at R+D kitchen. Don’t sleep on it. One of my favorite meals in Dallas, two rolls, their killer Hamburger, and a super cold grey goose martini.

A burger, sushi and martini?  We might need to hang out.

3 hours ago, Spoosner said:

This may seem odd, but I think it's also nice have more casual/lower end options when you just one a couple rolls with some beer and sake.  On that note I submit Oishii.  Rolls are pretty cheap, but you can definitely still rack up a bill if you get into the special rolls and high end sushi/sashimi.

Yeah Oushii is really really good sushi.  The scene feels a little more family, little less party.  Nothing wrong with that from time to time.  Little Katana around Knox Henderson is also good for that type of place.

For more of a scene, I also like Shinsea around Lovers and Inwood and Tei Tei around Knox Henderson.

On 4/9/2018 at 9:33 PM, PorscheGuy said:

I hate that space at Tei-An, though. They have a cool rooftop hangout spot but I guess that little enclave is so isolated from everything else, it just feels lifeless to me. That area just does not work for me. I don't know why.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

Tei-Tei on Henderson is a fun place for dinner, get a group up in the little private table area and you can eat sushi and drink sake all night.  I've really enjoyed it over the years, plus the waygu steak on a rock is fantastic.  

How old are you?

• Fuck You 1

On 4/10/2018 at 3:37 PM, Spoosner said:

My daughter and her roommate are regulars there.  (no pics)

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Looking for a place where I wont look like a cereal killer for studying alone tonight. Is Oishii that? 

Should be fine.  I’ve only been there a couple times and I think there was a dude eating by himself at the bar maybe one of the times.  Can’t remember if it was there or another place but I’m pretty sure it was there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/16/2018 at 7:21 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Oishii was packed so opted for Sushi House. Definitely the vibe I was looking for

Sushi House is solid and pretty affordable. 

My favorite place lately has been Blue Sushi which is ironically an Omaha transplant. 

Fatty salmon nigiri is on point. They also have some great rolls. Also have REAL wasabi which I would encourage anyone to try that hasn't had it.

You can wine and dine w a bitch there for <$100 easy.

• 9 months later...

Wife and I were jonesing for sushi the other night and she suggested trying Sushi Axiom. There's a new location next to Snooze on Oak Lawn and her good friend always liked the place on Henderson. What a mess that place is -- disorganized with lots of seemingly-extraneous staff. We sat at the sushi bar -- place has TVs all over the place and heavy-bass music playing in the background. There were lots of big-table parties the night we went. We had who I thought was the head chef behind the sushi bar with a couple of subordinates. He seemed nice enough but he kept hitting us up asking if we needed anything in addition to a very poor server who checked in at very random times.

The miso soup starter wasn't very memorable and the fried jalapenos with crab/cheese stuffing weren't very good at all. Wife got a salad that she liked but I thought the grilled chicken was overly tough. My fish was good (I think) -- got a couple of regular rolls and one order of yellowtail ngiri but the whole vibe/service in there was enough to convince us that will be a one-time visit. I wish we'd gone to Sushi House instead.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Wife and I were jonesing for sushi the other night and she suggested trying Sushi Axiom. There's a new location next to Snooze on Oak Lawn and her good friend always liked the place on Henderson. What a mess that place is -- disorganized with lots of seemingly-extraneous staff. We sat at the sushi bar -- place has TVs all over the place and heavy-bass music playing in the background. There were lots of big-table parties the night we went. We had who I thought was the head chef behind the sushi bar with a couple of subordinates. He seemed nice enough but he kept hitting us up asking if we needed anything in addition to a very poor server who checked in at very random times.

The miso soup starter wasn't very memorable and the fried jalapenos with crab/cheese stuffing weren't very good at all. Wife got a salad that she liked but I thought the grilled chicken was overly tough. My fish was good (I think) -- got a couple of regular rolls and one order of yellowtail ngiri but the whole vibe/service in there was enough to convince us that will be a one-time visit. I wish we'd gone to Sushi House instead.

I've been to Sushi Axiom at least a dozen times. 

Because they didn't card us in college and had cheap sake bombs. So if you're a 20 year old trying to get hammered and eat some city sushi for $15 then sure. If you're a married man taking your wife out to dinner then for the love of God go somewhere better. 

1 hour ago, strangulation! said:

so to recap: wife wants sushi, orders grilled chicken? that about right?

Well, I was itching for sushi. She suggested trying a new place.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I've been to Sushi Axiom at least a dozen times. 

Because they didn't card us in college and had cheap sake bombs. So if you're a 20 year old trying to get hammered and eat some city sushi for $15 then sure. If you're a married man taking your wife out to dinner then for the love of God go somewhere better. 

Lesson learned. It was a last-minute deal. Passed on the Spoon-Cage-Beck show at the absolute last minute. (The even bigger kick in the nuts is that it mean we missed on joining Landomatic and Mrs Lando at Homewood.)

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Well, I was itching for sushi. She suggested trying a new place.

Lesson learned. It was a last-minute deal. Passed on the Spoon-Cage-Beck show at the absolute last minute. (The even bigger kick in the nuts is that it mean we missed on joining Landomatic and Mrs Lando at Homewood.)

Nothing wrong with finding out an average restaraunt is average. 

And damn - I havent seen Beck but have seen the other two and they are fantastic live. I fucked up and missed half of Jimmy Eat World's set on Friday but Third Eye Blind was pretty redeemingly good. 

Nothing wrong with finding out an average restaraunt is average. 
And damn - I havent seen Beck but have seen the other two and they are fantastic live. I fucked up and missed half of Jimmy Eat World's set on Friday but Third Eye Blind was pretty redeemingly good. 

Seen Spoon a bunch. They’re great.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I really liked Gui on McKinney for a long time, but it appears to have changed ownership and is called Ta-Ta now. Not impressed. The food quality slipped a little, but the price went way up. No plans anytime soon to return.

I like TaTas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 6:22 PM, ztejas said:

@C-Man take your wife here if yall havent been - Blue Sushi. Especially if you can catch the happy hour. Never had anything that wasn't on point. Sake Toro nigiri and a "lion king" roll. Could have ate 3 of these plates. 

20190730-180959.jpg

Do they have a store in the trader joe's center on Walnut? If so, had the worst service in recent memory for lunch. The food was just ok too. 

• 2 months later...

Ebesu Robata and Sushi in downtown Plano received a glowing review in the Observer.

Still, it’s impressive to visit a restaurant multiple times, order half the menu and come away wishing just one dish was a little different. And, given how good Ebesu already is and how great it could become, it’s remarkable that so few people seem to be making the trip to downtown Plano to try it.

In Dallas, a restaurant this good would be packed every night of the week.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/restaurant-review-ebesu-robata-and-sushi-in-plano-11840450

• 1 year later...

Finally got a seat at that new omakase restaurant on Greenville...place called Shoyo. @bluto I think you and I were talking about it, but now I can't find it. Must have been a different thread. Reservation was a bitch to get (this one kind of just fell in our lap after missing on it for a few months) and it was pretty spendy. Right at $650 for 2 of us, with tip and a mid-range priced bottle of sake. It was really good, but not mind blowing or anything. Nothing crazy exotic like baby whale testicles or anything like that. Mostly just a bunch of different sushi, all of which tasted really fresh, some had a little different twist. Can't say I have to run back anytime soon. Nor do I think anyone needs to kill themselves or their wallets to try to get a reservation. Fun experience and something a little different from anything else we've done in Dallas. Service was outstanding. I think there were about 18 courses which were pretty much one bite each. Left there uncomfortably full, so if anything, it was too much food. Tiny space, I think 12 total seats. Here are some pics of some of it...

wyEzFp.jpg

XnJ067.jpg

FNEIlb.jpg

v2d976.jpg

sbBYUT.jpg

zX7jzU.jpg

Gu9M5S.jpg

fMq5Li.jpg

DMcWlg.jpg

f4vZHO.jpg

2pInRM.jpg

4qGDZ9.jpg

b7xadX.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but Kazy's Gourmet Shop is the importer / distributor of sushi and other related foods for a ton of local restaurants, meaning that the yellowfin you are eating at Oishii probably comes from the same place as the stuff at Deep Sushi. Obviously how its handled and prepared at the restaurant is the key, but the fish all arrives from the same place usually, and these guys are it unless you are talking super-high end or specialty places ($650?? I assume that came with geisha service for both of you...) which probably have their own direct distributor.

They do sell wholesale to the public so if you, ya know, want to make sushi for you and 50 of your best friends, call em. Looking through their catalog is awesome, do you happen to be in the market for whole frozen octopus? They got it.

What is (was) even more awesome is that they had a lunch and dinner counter inside their onsite grocery shop, now shut down bcs covid, but I pray it returns. They served really basic rolls, sashimi, etc. but the fish itself was all the high quality stuff you'd get elsewhere, just no fuss about the preparation. And it was CHEAP. After work I could stop in and get a glass of Kirin, miso, a roll, and a few strips of whatever they had available that day for around $10-12. No shit.    

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but Kazy's Gourmet Shop is the importer / distributor of sushi and other related foods for a ton of local restaurants, meaning that the yellowfin you are eating at Oishii probably comes from the same place as the stuff at Deep Sushi. Obviously how its handled and prepared at the restaurant is the key, but the fish all arrives from the same place usually, and these guys are it unless you are talking super-high end or specialty places ($650?? I assume that came with geisha service for both of you...) which probably have their own direct distributor.

They do sell wholesale to the public so if you, ya know, want to make sushi for you and 50 of your best friends, call em. Looking through their catalog is awesome, do you happen to be in the market for whole frozen octopus? They got it.

What is (was) even more awesome is that they had a lunch and dinner counter inside their onsite grocery shop, now shut down bcs covid, but I pray it returns. They served really basic rolls, sashimi, etc. but the fish itself was all the high quality stuff you'd get elsewhere, just no fuss about the preparation. And it was CHEAP. After work I could stop in and get a glass of Kirin, miso, a roll, and a few strips of whatever they had available that day for around $10-12. No shit.    

This is fairly close to me.  Thanks for the tip.  $12.50 lb for sushi grade frozen salmon seems pretty reasonable.

Edited by DDD Dad

On 12/15/2021 at 8:56 AM, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

love that place. Haven’t been in probably 5 years but will swing back in the next couple weeks. 

On 12/22/2021 at 11:47 PM, bluto said:

I prob said it on this thread already, but uchi/ba’s happy hour might be the best bang for the buck in the city. 

Yup.  I hit up Uchi on the reg.  Happy hour is probably the best money I spend on quality food.  $3 for a sake bottle.  Two of those fuck me up.  Try their foie gras next time.  Absolutely delicious... 

new sushi spot is going into the old Lucia spot in Bishop Arts next year.  stiff competition for that space apparently, but the sushi concept won out.  it better be fantastic.  i don't have any more than that.

on a separate, non sushi note, we did the Lucia family style dinner the other night.  holy fuck, that was incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1

Brief data point/update on Kazy's.  Went there yesterday to pick up stuff to make sushi.  My kids bought me a contraption to make rolls, something called a bazooka from Sushiaya.  Pretty cool actually.

Anyway, a lady met me outside to take my order (they're still not letting folks inside.  I was of course completely unprepared so she helped me figure out what I needed to get started making sushi (we did simple California rolls) and she set me up perfectly.  Highly recommend.  Nice people.

https://www.sushiaya.com/bazooka-kit-us

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...