Passenger tries to storm cockpit, attacked flight attendant

RPM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/passenger-allegedly-tried-storm-cockpit-attacked-flight-attendant-police-n1114216

200112-matthew-dignley-cs-1008a_0891a5e5

A man aboard a United Express flight from Washington, D.C., to Newark, New Jersey, was arrested Thursday after allegedly ramming the cockpit door before attacking a flight attendant who tried to stop him, according to NBC New York.

Matthew Dingley, 28, was aboard the flight, which was about to touch down in Newark, when he got out of his seat and headed for the cockpit door, NBC New York reported.

Mike Egbert, a passenger aboard the flight, told NBC New York that Dingley got out of his seat and sprinted toward the cockpit before banging on the door.

Egbert said a flight attendant, who attempted to intervene, became the focus of Dingley's attack.

"A slight woman, petite, and this guy was clocking her," Egbert told NBC New York.

Other passengers stepped in to pull Dingley off of the woman and regain control of the situation in the cabin. DIngley's erratic behavior continued after the plane landed when he charged at police officers, one of whom was injured after falling down the plane's stairs, Port Authority Police told NBC New York.

The officer broke several ribs, Port Authority Police said.

Six officers were injured and the flight attendant was taken to a nearby hospital and later released, according to NBC New York.

In an email to NBC News, CommutAir, which operates United Express, said the flight in question landed without incident and was met by local police to handle to disruptive passenger.

"Our primary concern is always to ensure the safety of all customers and crew and we are cooperating with authorities. We express our gratitude for the quick reaction of our passengers and crew who responded during this incident," the statement reads.

It was not immediately clear what charges Dingley was facing nor was it clear if he had an attorney.

54 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

SIX officers were injured? 

The guy deserves whatever the law can do to him, but I wonder if the claim of him injuring 6 officers is a stretch in order to pile on the number of charges.  They're probably counting any mark at all as injury. But I'm just guessing. Fuck this guy.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Flight attendants are emotionally unstable alcoholics with daddy issues. Part of the reason why I am attempting to become a pilot.

My wife and I took a late flight into a small airport years ago, and evidently the flight crew ended their day at that destination.  We checked into our hotel, and as we headed to our room, our pilot and flight attendant got on the elevator with us and got off on the same floor.  The flight attendant must have not minded working for a cheap ass airline that "made them" share a room because she was giggling the whole way down the hall to their room.  /Penthouse Forum letter

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife and I took a late flight into a small airport years ago, and evidently the flight crew ended their day at that destination.  We checked into our hotel, and as we headed to our room, our pilot and flight attendant got on the elevator with us and got off on the same floor.  The flight attendant must have not minded working for a cheap ass airline that "made them" share a room because she was giggling the whole way down the hall to their room.  /Penthouse Forum letter

You have no idea how close to the regular  reality this is. And no to tasers for the FAs. I have more than a few from my younger days who would gladly tase me in the face. 

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So passengers are able to restrain the guy, then the cops show up and make things worse and hurt themselves?

My understanding, not from the posted article, is that some cops or LEOs of some sort, were on the flight and were the ones that restrained him in the first place. 

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

When they’re not fucking the pilots they’re turning tricks

17 hours ago, Matuka said:

Yep, cops can draw their full salary off work and FA’s have to draw WC subject to a max rate*

* At least that’s how it is in TX

One union is obviously stronger than the other.  Plus that one union has the blind, unquestionable support of pissed off, racists white folks.