Mens Tennis 2020 season. Run it back?

perfectchaos007

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

I'd understand if they want to go pro. But selfishly, run it back! 

It's tough to make a living on the pro tour unless you're in the top 100. If they are offered another scholarship to do grad school they should probably take it. But they could each turn into top 100 players down the road.....I don't see why Ito couldn't have a career like his older brother Tatsuma, who peaked at #60 in the world. At the very least, he will get great advice from not only coach Berque but also his brother on his decision....

On 3/13/2020 at 6:23 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

It's tough to make a living on the pro tour unless you're in the top 100. If they are offered another scholarship to do grad school they should probably take it. But they could each turn into top 100 players down the road.....I don't see why Ito couldn't have a career like his older brother Tatsuma, who peaked at #60 in the world. At the very least, he will get great advice from not only coach Berque but also his brother on his decision....

Yuya and Tatsuma, though they share the same last name, aren't brothers.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Defending national champs start the season tomorrow against ULL. We lost our two best players from last year who decided to go pro instead of sticking around with their extra year of eligibility, but we still have a solid young team. I think our preseason rank of #6 is a bit high for this team but I could see us competing for the Big 12 title. 5 of the 6 Big 12 teams are ranked in the top 25 and the other team is still receiving votes so it's gonna be a grind as usual. 

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Defending national champs start the season tomorrow against ULL. We lost our two best players from last year who decided to go pro instead of sticking around with their extra year of eligibility, but we still have a solid young team. I think our preseason rank of #6 is a bit high for this team but I could see us competing for the Big 12 title. 5 of the 6 Big 12 teams are ranked in the top 25 and the other team is still receiving votes so it's gonna be a grind as usual. 

Interesting.  The ITA rankings go:

• 6 TCU
  • 6 Texas
  • 14 OSU
  • 15 Baylor
  • 24 Tech
  • RV Oklahoma

But the Big 12 preseason poll goes:

1. TCU
  2. Baylor
  3. OSU
  4. Texas
  5. OU
  6. Tech

OKST was scheduled to visit Austin this weekend for the ITA kickoff event, but they were forced to withdraw due to covid19 issues within the program. Instead of facing Arizona for our first match, we'll play Liberty. Assuming we take care of business against them, we'll play the winner of Arizona and Florida. 

Florida v. Texas tomorrow for a spot in the ITA indoor tournament. I give the edge to Florida simply because the top of our lineup is weak this season. Sigsgaard and Ito spoiled us for a few years and now we don't really have a Line #1 guy on our lineup. Case and point Woldeab only winning 4 games in his match today against Liberty

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

In a match that spanned nearly 7 hours, Texas def. Florida 4-3! What a win for our guys to qualify for the ITA indoors tournament next month.

Beat two top-12 players too at #1 and #2 singles. 

9 minutes ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

How did Baylor land their coach. He was a monster at Virginia.

You mean Boland? He's no longer coach at Baylor after being forced out around 6 months ago.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/education/baylor-tennis-coachs-resignation-followed-investigation-of-messages-to-student/article_89d1e078-8c18-53fb-8918-329b2178ba15.html

• 2 weeks later...

Texas def. #1 USC 4-3. We lost the doubles and were down big in singles. Down 0-3 in the overall tie at one point, but we rallied and took 4 straight.

Incredible focus and belief shown by our guys today. Evin McDonalds match ended in a controversial call that went in our favor. Sometimes you need some crucial breaks to get big wins!

We have a few Cali guys on our roster so this win was personal for them! 

• Hook 'Em 1