Taal volcano in the Philippines about to blow.

Parliament

"Taal volcano entered a period of intense unrest... that progressed into magmatic eruption at 02:49 to 04:28... this is characterised by weak lava fountaining accompanied by thunder and flashes of lightning," the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) said in a statement.

But PHIVOLCS director Renato Solidum said that signs of a hazardous eruption, including "flows of ashes, rocks, gas at speeds of more than 60 kph horizontally" had not yet occurred, according to CNN Philippines.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51086961

Good.  We need a really big volcanic eruption to cool the planet for a couple of years.  Prepare you anus for next winter.  It has a VEI of 6 which would be on par of Vesuvius in Italy.  It could really mess some things us and if it fully erupts, it could cause basin wide tsunami's.  If I lived anywhere along the coast of the South China Sea and maybe even the Philippine Sea, I would be paying close attention to this.

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hate said:

It takes a little while for the aerosols to make their way around the planet.  It may be too soon to affect the next winter, but if it really erupts we may have a nice summer and fall.

Wait. I thought we banned aerosols. Has anyone informed the volcano?

• Like 1

The crater lake on Volcano Island is the largest lake on an island in a lake on an island in the world.

Taal has an island within a lake, that is on an island within a lake, that is on an island within the sea: Vulcan Point Island is within Main Crater Lake, which is on Volcano Island.

200w.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, smuggs said:

200w.gif

I hope this link works:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Taal+Volcano/@13.9972838,121.2455478,125311m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x33bd738d30c66c4f:0x749396e27e5f3873!8m2!3d14.0112531!4d120.9976909

Said "inception island" is literally in the caldera, and has houses and stuff on it.  Probably not good for resale, Folks.

ETA:
Philipine military people helping evacuate locals are carrying weapons and ammo.  Odd.

Edited by Parliament

The crater lake on Volcano Island is the largest lake on an island in a lake on an island in the world.

Taal has an island within a lake, that is on an island within a lake, that is on an island within the sea: Vulcan Point Island is within Main Crater Lake, which is on Volcano Island.

200w.gif

For help trying to understand this, here is a satellite image of the volcano with a lake inside of a lake on a volcanic island.

a59e837c4722043bc0f4ba304ddd1506.png

Edit: and here is the island in the lake of the volcano in a lake on a volcanic island.

9bc0e461f0ba23ddd7a462c92dd1796e.png

CNN Philippines seems to be covering it.

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/1/13/Philippines-Taal-Volcano-eruption-live-updates.html

8 hours ago, RayDog said:

I live 140 km from the volcano. So far there is only a little tint to the sky that looks odd. I think I will buy a mask when I go out to dinner.

Based on how much time the leaders are spending on talking about mask price caps, I'd hurry and buy one or three if I were you.

14 hours ago, RayDog said:

I live 140 km from the volcano. So far there is only a little tint to the sky that looks odd. I think I will buy a mask when I go out to dinner.

Raydog, if my trip stands i'll fly into Manila on Sunday.  Any need for more masks?  I know supplies tend to run short in instances like these.  I'd be more than happy to bring some if needed.  I'm not sure where you are located but if needed you can pm me and maybe we could work it out.

https://www.earthtv.com/en/webcam/manila-bay-roxas-boulevard   

• Like 2