Taal volcano in the Philippines about to blow.

Parliament

9 hours ago, smuggs said:

The crater lake on Volcano Island is the largest lake on an island in a lake on an island in the world.

Taal has an island within a lake, that is on an island within a lake, that is on an island within the sea: Vulcan Point Island is within Main Crater Lake, which is on Volcano Island.

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Raydog, if my trip stands i'll fly into Manila on Sunday.  Any need for more masks?  I know supplies tend to run short in instances like these.  I'd be more than happy to bring some if needed.  I'm not sure where you are located but if needed you can pm me and maybe we could work it out.

https://www.earthtv.com/en/webcam/manila-bay-roxas-boulevard   

Masks are available everywhere here like elsewhere in Asia so that is not a problem. 

I live in Angeles, so it is out of your way unless you are coming this way to party here or Subic, or to catch a flight out of Clark.

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

Based on Raydog’s previous posts, I recommend you go to wherever he is and party with him.

There is plenty of partying to be had in Manila, but it costs more there. I am told the Chinese tourists are driving up prices. The Koreans are driving up prices where I live, but more Chinese are showing up here too.

I prefer to fly out of Clark and they are opening a new international terminal later this year. But if the big eruption happens Clark will probably be closed too.

This isn’t a big volcano. It’s not even Saint Helens big and certainly not even close to Pinatubo. If it really erupts, it will be a “localized” event. The worst that may happen on a global scale is it could cause earthquakes that could cause an underwater landslide and tsunami to occur.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

This isn’t a big volcano. It’s not even Saint Helens big and certainly not even close to Pinatubo. If it really erupts, it will be a “localized” event. The worst that may happen on a global scale is it could cause earthquakes that could cause an underwater landslide and tsunami to occur.

You see the lake it is in. That is its caldera. Taal is not a small volcano. Now it is unlikely that the entire lake  will  vaporize  in a massive explosion, but that is how the depression got there.

• Like 1

You see the lake it is in. That is its caldera. Taal is not a small volcano. Now it is unlikely that the entire lake  will  vaporize  in a massive explosion, but that is how the depression got there.

My depression isn’t that big, but it got there from watching Texas football. So, there’s that.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Everything I’ve seen ranks it a VEI 6 which is relatively small as far a potential worldwide impact. Obviously, the local impacts would be magnified if it erupted to its full potential, but it wouldn’t impact the world as Pinatubo did in 1991.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Everything I’ve seen ranks it a VEI 6 which is relatively small as far a potential worldwide impact. Obviously, the local impacts would be magnified if it erupted to its full potential, but it wouldn’t impact the world as Pinatubo did in 1991.

So, this isn't the big one, Elizabeth ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hate said:

Bummer.

Here is a couple that swam in the lake in the volcano just a week before it erupted.  The dude is a little annoying, but you can see how beautiful the volcano was before it erupted.  No doubt it doesn't look like that anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a VEI 5 volcano in Ecuador that could collapse and cause a large eruption soon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/volcano-in-ecuador-showing-signs-of-potential-collapse-researchers-say/ar-BB10aJHx?li=BBnbfcL

A large volcano in Ecuador is showing early warning signs of a potential collapse, according to new research. 

The Tungurahua volcano -- also known as "The Black Giant" -- is showing signs of instability, which could lead to a massive landslide and major damage to the local area, the research published in the journal Earth & Planetary Science Letters found. Volcanic activity has led to Tungurahua's deformation and it must be monitored for more signs of collapse, the researchers noted. 

"Using satellite data we have observed very rapid deformation of Tungurahua's west flank, which our research suggests is caused by imbalances between magma being supplied and magma being erupted," James Hickey, lead researcher and lecturer in geophysics University of Exeter, told Phys.org.

Tungurahua volcano has been active frequently since 1999. About 3,000 years ago, an eruption caused a partial collapse of the same side of the volcanic cone that is beginning to collapse again now. Since then, the volcano has steadily been rebuilt over time. 

While there is a risk of collapse, it is possible that the volcano remains stable, the researchers said. 

On 1/13/2020 at 9:11 AM, smuggs said:

The crater lake on Volcano Island is the largest lake on an island in a lake on an island in the world.

Taal has an island within a lake, that is on an island within a lake, that is on an island within the sea: Vulcan Point Island is within Main Crater Lake, which is on Volcano Island.

index.jpg

this whole thing sounds like it could tip over at any moment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

It's not the scientists who are writing the stories. Good scientific writers are wonderful but rare.

Researchers said it’s possible things will be fine like always.  Possible, not “likely”, not “nearly certain”, but possible. 
ScientistsResearchers are stupid.