Cabo advice?

Saint Austin

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Been there over 40 times now.

Still alive.

I think.

been once, barely made it out.

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Oh, and I'm a Pedregal guy.  The private 6 mile beach cannot be beat IMO.  And if you know what you're doing it's much less expensive than a hotel.  

Much.

yep, pedregal is great, that's where we met our rogue wave attempted murderer.

I am much more wary of having my kidneys harvested at Lord Black than I am being sucked out to sea by a wave.

Of course, Lord Black offers its own forms of "sucking out", which have always been of interest to me.

😉

Edited by Cajun

I believe you Troph.  I swam with some Gray Whales off that beach on a very calm day and it took everything I had to make it back to the beach.

I get it.

Honestly, I just love walking out there and watching the waves, whales, fish, model photoshoots, etc.

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

If the gay community knew what those Doritos tasted like they'd all go straight.

Trust me.

That was the only chip sampled.  Jeezuz gawd!

I tried straight, gay is much, much better, trust me haha.

On 5/25/2021 at 11:09 AM, Cajun said:

Oh, and I'm a Pedregal guy.  The private 6 mile beach cannot be beat IMO.  And if you know what you're doing it's much less expensive than a hotel.  

Much.

Got a link?  The last one you posted is no longer active.  Would like to know for the next trip when we will go with a group.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Got a link?  The last one you posted is no longer active.  Would like to know for the next trip when we will go with a group.

I’ll send ne later, but give Cabovillas.com a shot.  Put “Pedregal” in their search bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2021 at 9:31 AM, Cajun said:

If I'm gonna spend a day swimming, it's a trip up to Los Bariles.  Straight out of the end scene in Shawshank Redemption -

D67597B3-D5DC-4374-9288-5D485803F149.jpeg

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

I've stayed at Palmaas de Cortez and the Old Punta Colorado.  Done a LOT of East Caping.  Las Cruces (private club north of there) is awesome, and of course we've done Cabo Pulmo a couple of times.  It is getting a bit fished out though.  Mag Bay in 2019 put the East Cape to shame.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I've stayed at Palmaas de Cortez and the Old Punta Colorado.  Done a LOT of East Caping.  Las Cruces (private club north of there) is awesome, and of course we've done Cabo Pulmo a couple of times.  It is getting a bit fished out though.  Mag Bay in 2019 put the East Cape to shame.

Damned good intel. 

@SbbruinOn Mag Bay (You mean Magdalena Bay, I'm assuming here) - Can you expand on the "put the East Cape to shame" comment?  I'm not debating that the other way.  In fact, I've never been farther north on the Pacific side than Todos Santos,  but just having researched some whale watching trips to Mag Bay the hotels are more like really crappy motels and the beaches are not very pretty.  More than likely I'm missing a shit load just having clicked on some stuff on a laptop, so can you paint me a picture?  I'm very interested.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

@SbbruinOn Mag Bay (You mean Magdalena Bay, I'm assuming here) - Can you expand on the "put the East Cape to shame" comment?  I'm not debating that the other way.  In fact, I've never been farther north on the Pacific side than Todos Santos,  but just having researched some whale watching trips to Mag Bay the hotels are more like really crappy motels and the beaches are not very pretty.  More than likely I'm missing a shit load just having clicked on some stuff on a laptop, so can you paint me a picture?  I'm very interested.

Pretty sure he was on a massive sportfisher so did not need the hotel.

Yeah, I thought about that.  Whole different experience from that perspective than how I'd have to access the area.  That said, I want to know specifics on exactly why Mag Bay was so much better than his East Cape experiences.

iu.gif

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, I thought about that.  Whole different experience from that perspective than how I'd have to access the area.  That said, I want to know specifics on exactly why Mag Bay was so much better than his East Cape experiences.

iu.gif

I’ll let him elaborate but he is specifically talking about the fishing. The fall stripe marlin bite is the best in the world. Private boats consistently catch 50 to 100 or more in a day. Wahoo and other pelagics are thick too. He was on a 43’ or 45 or 48 Cabo but if I recall correctly they stayed at one of the lodges.

Edited by justhookit

That makes sense.  Yes, from a fishing perspective I can absolutely understand that.

He commented on my Los Barriles post, which was a response to Troph after discussing beaches that were safe from Killer Zombie Waves, so I wasn't thinking from the angler mindset.

Good catch!

(pun intended)

Edited by Cajun

[mention=1357]Sbbruin[/mention]On Mag Bay (You mean Magdalena Bay, I'm assuming here) - Can you expand on the "put the East Cape to shame" comment?  I'm not debating that the other way.  In fact, I've never been farther north on the Pacific side than Todos Santos,  but just having researched some whale watching trips to Mag Bay the hotels are more like really crappy motels and the beaches are not very pretty.  More than likely I'm missing a shit load just having clicked on some stuff on a laptop, so can you paint me a picture?  I'm very interested.
I should have clarified- the fishing puts the East Cape to shame.  Everything else about San Carlos (the only little town at Mag Bay) is pretty crappy.  We stayed a couple of nights at the Mag Bay Lodge- which is nothing more than a house with some rooms and a small pool https://magbaylodge.com/ - while waiting for my buddy and some friends to arrive with his Cabo 48 onto which we transferred.  We did a day of fly fishing, which while fun yielded squat, than 3 days of wide open marlin fishing.  And I mean WIDE open.  Fish till your arms are too tired fishing.  But the town and beaches are shit for sure.  Couple good restaurants.  Not a place the ladies would enjoy.  The whale scene is of course better tha anywhere in the world, as it is the gray and humpback breeding grounds.  We stopped there on a sail back from Cabo in 1982 and had a half dozen whales bobbing around us at anchor for hours.  It was magical.
a538f71c5cf877e7f7e23f6f80546fa6.jpg
bff948173c565c6e37700626b391b241.jpg
95ff5b6cfa811b7b1c36a0793a5e7f26.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, I was confused, but now it's all clear.  And I'm glad to have that information as I have been known to chase the bills now and again.  50-100 stripes a day is beyond my comprehension.  I remember one time Lat22 and I caught something like 12 stripes by noon on a trip out of Cabo.  We got the last fish to the boat (probably fought 20 plus with some throwing the hook) and I looked at Lat, he gave me the look back and we headed in to get 18 in at Cabo Del Sol.  We were fucking toast reeling in about 6 each.

But 50?

HO LEE CHIT!!!

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, I was confused, but now it's all clear.  And I'm glad to have that information as I have been known to chase the bills now and again.  50-100 stripes a day is beyond my comprehension.  I remember one time Lat22 and I caught something like 12 stripes by noon on a trip out of Cabo.  We got the last fish to the boat (probably fought 20 plus with some throwing the hook) and I looked at Lat, he gave me the look back and we headed in to get 18 in at Cabo Del Sol.  We were fucking toast reeling in about 6 each.

But 50?

HO LEE CHIT!!!

I think we averaged about 35-40/day for 3 days straight.  You'd come up on diving birds and you would just see a dozen stripers just darting through the water.  There was a big Viking, like 65 ft, fishing near us who said they got 250 in one day a few days earlier.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I think we averaged about 35-40/day for 3 days straight.  You'd come up on diving birds and you would just see a dozen stripers just darting through the water.  There was a big Viking, like 65 ft, fishing near us who said they got 250 in one day a few days earlier.

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/story/game-fish/nine-anglers-330-marlin/

as far as I know that 330 record still stands. As you saw, it’s just sick fishing and the guys catching that many are pro crews. They are there for numbers like we do with blues in CR, and a lot of the boats do both fisheries. We get a lot of practice.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Cajun said:

250?

Did all the dudes on that Viking look like this?

iu-2.jpeg

Csb time, and I think it’s why I’m hooked on billfish to this day.

So back in 1983 I got to fish Cabo. My dad had a client that either owned or had an in with Gaucho and Bandido which were little Bertrams and were the “nice” boats at the time. Prior to this I grew up fishing but my only offshore experiences were In Port A for kingfish and snapper.

Anyway we fly down and it turns out they had just had a hurricane. Which explains why we flew into Mazatlan and sat on the single runway for 5 hours.

Stayed at La Hacienda which was one of maybe 5 hotels there at the time. There was basically no town except a few restaurants and a “marina” that was a concrete dock by the fish processing place.

Day one was a scratch from the leftover hurricane weather. day 2 we go out and back then you basically put lines in as soon as you cleared the arch. after maybe an hour we hook up and it jumps. I hop in the fighting chair and the mate comes over “no,no,no” and pulls me out of the chair. Language barrier but we get my dad settled into the chair. It’s like a 250-300 pound blue marlin. Fight it for an hour or so and get it to the boat but when the mate tries to gaff it he misses and pops the leader. Captain comes flying down off the bridge and punches the mate in the face. I’m 13 years old and decide this whole thing is the coolest thing I’ve seen in my life. Fish the rest of the day with no more bites.

back at the hotel that night we learn that a lot of the locals rely on the catches for their food and that’s why the captain was so upset. Because of the hurricane they hadn’t eaten well in over a week.

‘Went back the next year and caught 2 stripes, gaffed them, hung them on the scale at the dock and took pics. I need to see if I can find that.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

Csb time, and I think it’s why I’m hooked on billfish to this day.

So back in 1983 I got to fish Cabo. My dad had a client that either owned or had an in with Gaucho and Bandido which were little Bertrams and were the “nice” boats at the time. Prior to this I grew up fishing but my only offshore experiences were In Port A for kingfish and snapper.

Anyway we fly down and it turns out they had just had a hurricane. Which explains why we flew into Mazatlan and sat on the single runway for 5 hours.

Stayed at La Hacienda which was one of maybe 5 hotels there at the time. There was basically no town except a few restaurants and a “marina” that was a concrete dock by the fish processing place.

Day one was a scratch from the leftover hurricane weather. day 2 we go out and back then you basically put lines in as soon as you cleared the arch. after maybe an hour we hook up and it jumps. I hop in the fighting chair and the mate comes over “no,no,no” and pulls me out of the chair. Language barrier but we get my dad settled into the chair. It’s like a 250-300 pound blue marlin. Fight it for an hour or so and get it to the boat but when the mate tries to gaff it he misses and pops the leader. Captain comes flying down off the bridge and punches the mate in the face. I’m 13 years old and decide this whole thing is the coolest thing I’ve seen in my life. Fish the rest of the day with no more bites.

back at the hotel that night we learn that a lot of the locals rely on the catches for their food and that’s why the captain was so upset. Because of the hurricane they hadn’t eaten well in over a week.

‘Went back the next year and caught 2 stripes, gaffed them, hung them on the scale at the dock and took pics. I need to see if I can find that.

I remember Cabo then.  We sailed down and arrived right before Christmas 1981.  Yeah, no real Marina.  We anchored of the beach with about 50 other boats.  All dirt roads in the little bit of town that was Cabo.

Yeah, I was yanking your chain.  I grew up a Dodgers fan.  Their AA team was (still is) here in San Antonio where I grew up.  Steve Sax used to hang out with my HS coach & he’d come and take BP w/the team from time to time.  Garvey & Ron Cey were my heroes as a kid.

Didn’t know about the hot ass, but it doesn’t surprise.

If my “aggy” joke was a no frame of reference dud, just know that there was an infamous Texags thread dedicated to their guy’s with bug forearms fetish.

• 1 month later...

Ran across this old vid I made from Lat22's and my exploits down in Cabo "back in the day", if I can still use that saying.  Just a slide show of pics w/Sammy and crew lending the audio along with some old school, actual have to take the roll of film to the Kodak booth in some mall parking lot pics fwiw...

Edited by Cajun
There are other characters pictured who are Surly posters, but I wasn't sure if they'd want to be outed. Full disclosure
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, justhookit said:

Cabo took a glancing hit from a Cat2 Thursday., Los Cabos or San Jose took almost a direct hit. It’s hard to get much info out of there right now but I know a bunch of boats got messed up. Anyway, if you are traveling down there soon check with the hotel before you go.

08953943-0DDD-4A9B-A0A5-56ADF34BB4AD.gif

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Anyone going to be in Cabo week of 1/24? Going with wife and planning a fishing trip. I’ll go alone but would rather have company. Don’t think she’s getting on a fishing charter.

I go back and forth from La Paz and Cabo frequently, but mainly for Costco and diving. If you decide to dive, let me know.

On 5/26/2021 at 3:38 PM, Cajun said:

I’ll send ne later, but give Cabovillas.com a shot.  Put “Pedregal” in their search bar.

We used airbnb and found our condo in the pedregal that way. Stayed up the hill over looking the town on the sea of Cortez side. The pacific side is money and quieter.

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Headed out this week for a few days of chill at Grand Solmar Lands End.

On past trips we’ve just walked outside the airport and grabbed a cab for the trip to town. Been a while though. That still the best way?

Uber/DiDi aren't allowed to pick up from the airport, but you can take one back when you leave.

Taxi/bus/private shuttle are your options for airport pickup.