Cabo advice?

Saint Austin

On 1/10/2020 at 12:19 PM, Abogado Peligroso said:

Bumping this as I am taking the wife this July.   Staying 4 nights at The Cape and 4 nights at the Grand Velas.   We probably need 5 off resort restaurant recommendations.   We have never done Cabo before so I have no idea what we are doing otherwise.  Any can’t misses?

Flora Farms.  You should probably make reservations soon, they fill way in advance.  Also book a lunch and a dinner - you'll want to go back.

I like Edith's but most people can take it or leave it.

Pro tip:  If you want to spend the day in town, or go to the tourist beach to jet ski, get a day pass at Casa Dorado hotel.  For non guests I think they're $35 each for the day.   You get to hang out at the pool, park your stuff, and walk through a guarded gate right to the beach.  The cool part is the $35 is a credit at the pool bar - anything you eat or drink is offset against the day pass fee.

Might not be your thing, but each trip we always do the ATV tour on the way to Todos Santos.  I think it's Cactus something or other.  They haul ass through the desert and end up on a beautiful beach. Flying around, kicking up sand, watching waves crash against the rocks - never gets old.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, Abogado Peligroso said:

Bumping this as I am taking the wife this July.   Staying 4 nights at The Cape and 4 nights at the Grand Velas.   We probably need 5 off resort restaurant recommendations.   We have never done Cabo before so I have no idea what we are doing otherwise.  Any can’t misses?

I really,. really like The Cape.  Fantastic place to stay and reasonably priced compared to Pedregal or Esperanza.

Go have a dinner at Los Tres Gallos in Cabo San Lucas.  Open air seating.  Great ambiance.  Insanely inexpensive.  Fantastic food.  We eat there every time we go.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think we paid less than $70 for several rounds of drinks and dinner.

Edited by Johnny Sack

I really,. really like The Cape.  Fantastic place to stay and reasonably priced compared to Pedregal or Esperanza.
Go have a dinner at Los Tres Gallos in Cabo San Lucas.  Open air seating.  Great ambiance.  Insanely inexpensive.  Fantastic food.  We eat there every time we go.
LTG_54_990x660.jpg

35739017_1651020591634065_5346414223939338240_o-1-1024x682.jpg
I think we paid less than $70 for several rounds of drinks and dinner.

That looks like the place they used to call the Trailer Park. Is this place somewhat close to the Costco?

On 1/11/2020 at 2:49 PM, Mach 1 said:

Flora Farms.  You should probably make reservations soon, they fill way in advance.  Also book a lunch and a dinner - you'll want to go back.

Yeah, do brunch actually.  Great food in a really cool environment.  Very "un-Cabo."

• 6 months later...
28 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Wife's company has a trip to Los Cabos in November and we will be staying at Le Blac Spa Resort. Looks like a nice, all-inclusive place but wondering if anyone has been there. Don't plan on going into town and just staying at the resort. 

Have fun! We got back last week. Weather is perfect. The resort your at looks really nice...I think we may have passed it.

I know you want to stay at the resort...but if you get a wild bug...I’d hit guss taco in town. Amazing. Hole in the wall but best tacos I’ve had in a while. Total was $5 US.

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Have fun! We got back last week. Weather is perfect. The resort your at looks really nice...I think we may have passed it.

I know you want to stay at the resort...but if you get a wild bug...I’d hit guss taco in town. Amazing. Hole in the wall but best tacos I’ve had in a while. Total was $5 US.

Now you have my interest peaked. Wife is hesitant (at least at this point in time) about being around crowds in town. I would also like to see what gold courses are around that I may want to play at.

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:

Wife's company has a trip to Los Cabos in November and we will be staying at Le Blac Spa Resort. Looks like a nice, all-inclusive place but wondering if anyone has been there. Don't plan on going into town and just staying at the resort. 

Not to hijack but also going in November for 4 days for a wedding. Staying at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica if anyone has stayed or been there.

17 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Now you have my interest peaked. Wife is hesitant (at least at this point in time) about being around crowds in town. I would also like to see what gold courses are around that I may want to play at.

I felt safer in Cabo than Austin. Restuarants are very spaced....and EVERYONE is masked up inside and outside. Temp check at restaurants and everythign is being cleaned constantly. They are doing a good job.

I did see a nice course when we were coming in. If you are going for a few days...the resort thing is a good option as it does seem nice...but town is super close and there are a couple nice restaurants and that taco dive you might want to hit.

If you are there for a week...I would try and golf if you can...I would personally be fishing...some of the best marlin fishing around...I also did a two-tank dive because I have to get underwater to decompress from life outside of it.

If you get  a serious bug...your wife might like this place: https://www.flora-farms.com We took a salsa making class using a molcajete and taught by their head chef....a lot of fun and damn good recipes. And again, not only all masked up...but some of the most advanced masks I have seen are at this place...these clear plastic small shields that are supported at the chin and just cover the mouth and nose from @ 1" away so you can see the person as they talk. They also have a signature carrot margarita that is 'lit' as my kids would say.

Enjoy!

Edited by Tailgate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not to hijack but also going in November for 4 days for a wedding. Staying at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica if anyone has stayed or been there.

Don’t swim in the water there. As a matter of fact, I’m not really sure you’re even supposed to walk on that beach. It’s notorious for having random large waves roll in out of nowhere and sweeping people off of the continent.

There is a shuttle at your resort that will take you to the sister resort on Medano Beach, Pueblo Bonito Rose. I’ve stayed there before and the beach is great and perfectly safe for swimming.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

Don’t swim in the water there. As a matter of fact, I’m not really sure you’re even supposed to walk on that beach. It’s notorious for having random large waves roll in out of nowhere and sweeping people off of the continent.

There is a shuttle at your resort that will take you to the sister resort on Medano Beach, Pueblo Bonito Rose. I’ve stayed there before and the beach is great and perfectly safe for swimming.

Lol well that’s good to know. Def didn’t mention that on the website

Apparently so.
We got caught in one, were careful blah blah blah, didn’t matter it came out of nowhere and took us out 30 yards in a matter of seconds. I spare you the details but we were dead. I was a half second from giving up in a tumultuous wash cycle of currents then was able to swim back sort of. Got the beach, dug in hard, suffered crashing waves again on top of me. Slipping back further and further into the ocean and had one more chance with a lull and crawled up the beach to my girlfriend who made it back before me. Heart rate goes up dramatically typing this. I’m lucky to be here. It’s a bit of a PSA now, even smart and careful people can be on the pacific side thinking they are at a safe distance. Maybe, maybe not. I feel obligated to be a warning when this thread pops up with new folks considering Cabo.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Scary stuff. Glad you guys are ok. I posted early in this thread as JohnnyShotgun. After a year of not being able to log in I just changed my name. Anyway, glad to be back on Surly. It's thread like this one that has a ton of good info. Man, I could go for a margarita from Monkey Business right about now! 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Cabo advice?  Yeah, stay here.  Sleeps 8 for $79/night in Pedregal.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/45866808?adults=6&check_in=2020-12-28&source_impression_id=p3_1602777030_FgR9DdpxrxzgiAYA&guests=6&check_out=2021-01-03

Image 10-15-20 at 11.19 AM.jpeg

ac23c41c-5921-4543-8c87-aa481a131b25.jpg

a5cfabc8-9e79-45f9-a760-9db1a4575fe2.jpg

e8d0ea6e-91fd-490b-b927-84526b57097c.jpg

1e9eb97d-fdf8-4add-a6d6-5e33c398e332.jpg

0361238d-eb54-4d6c-906d-d6cb877d8b93.jpg

26b47cbb-4c98-41f6-bac6-27b8c3c1ebd3.jpg

a4415574-3bd6-46bb-b03d-6b1c3f51404b.jpg

8a078f60-f722-425c-95cb-5ce926482b8b.jpg

Edited by Cajun
Like I said many times before - If you're staying in a hotel in Cabo you're doing it wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...

ok was planning to book an AI trip to Playa del Carmen but they may change the covid status to Red status meaning everything gets locked the fuck down. so we I am thinking of taking me, the wife and 4 college girls to Cabo (no pics). never been to Cabo so will ask stupid questions. don't judge, bro.

we normally get an All-Inclusive in playa del carmen because with teenage/college aged girls, i never liked the idea of walking girls around PDC, especially at night. we would usually do one or two nights dinner in PDC and that's it. no bars or clubs. yea the food suck at AIs but the convenience of not having to worry about driving/walkign/ubering/taxing to restaurants for most every meal is great.

is Cabo "safer" than PDC? again, it'll be me and 5 women. is it safe for the college girls to hit bars/clubs on their own?

should we stay at AIs or stay at a normal hotel and head into town for every meal. 

speaking of, do i need a car in cabo? taxis safe (again thinking of 4 college girls)?

any areas/hotels where i should stay? i know for partying, stay in cabo. for relaxing, stay in san jose.

sounds like beach swimming options are extremely limited. so basically spend days at the pool. are there beach front hotels in the area where you can swim and not die?

any other suggestions for the trip?

59 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

ok was planning to book an AI trip to Playa del Carmen but they may change the covid status to Red status meaning everything gets locked the fuck down. so we I am thinking of taking me, the wife and 4 college girls to Cabo (no pics). never been to Cabo so will ask stupid questions. don't judge, bro.

we normally get an All-Inclusive in playa del carmen because with teenage/college aged girls, i never liked the idea of walking girls around PDC, especially at night. we would usually do one or two nights dinner in PDC and that's it. no bars or clubs. yea the food suck at AIs but the convenience of not having to worry about driving/walkign/ubering/taxing to restaurants for most every meal is great.

is Cabo "safer" than PDC? again, it'll be me and 5 women. is it safe for the college girls to hit bars/clubs on their own?

should we stay at AIs or stay at a normal hotel and head into town for every meal. 

speaking of, do i need a car in cabo? taxis safe (again thinking of 4 college girls)?

any areas/hotels where i should stay? i know for partying, stay in cabo. for relaxing, stay in san jose.

sounds like beach swimming options are extremely limited. so basically spend days at the pool. are there beach front hotels in the area where you can swim and not die?

Fish bro.  Its what you do there.  You don't need a full day either.  You'll probably hook one in the first hour and spend the second reeling it in.  

https://www.elbudster.com/report

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We are going for 4 nights next month while kids are at camp.  Going to stay at The Cape. Looking forward to the trip.

My wife gets seasick, so I doubt I will fish unless I can find someone to split a charter.  Not sure if that's really possible.  

If i was there i would happily split it with you.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Are you not vaccinated? Just go to Cancun/PDC anyway fuck it - Cabo is like San Diego more than it is like Cancun not at all the same type of vacation if you are expecting Cancun vibes. 

It's very safe - probably safer than PDC. 

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I am in Playa right now. The "imminent lockdown" BS is universally regarded here as political grandstanding for the upcoming elections in 2 weeks. I wouldn't worry about it.

And you can always go to Cozumel, the Cozumel mayor ignores whatever is happening on the mainland and keeps Cozumel in a permanent yellow status.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Are you not vaccinated? Just go to Cancun/PDC anyway fuck it - Cabo is like San Diego more than it is like Cancun not at all the same type of vacation if you are expecting Cancun vibes. 

It's very safe - probably safer than PDC. 

Not worried about us. We are all vaccinated. Worried they’ll lock the bitch down and we sit in our rooms all day. 

We are going for 4 nights next month while kids are at camp.  Going to stay at The Cape. Looking forward to the trip.
My wife gets seasick, so I doubt I will fish unless I can find someone to split a charter.  Not sure if that's really possible.  

Very possible to split a charter. Pisces and Redrum both accommodate splits. Or just charter a panga and go solo to target roosters.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Cabo is no more or less safe than any of the major Mexican beach destinations, which is to say it's no less safe than whatever American city you live in. As a gringo, you really have to go looking for trouble to find it in those spots (mostly true in MX in general, but in particular there).

Decided on Cabo. Wanted a quiet resort but the college kids want to booze it up and party. Staying at Solmar Resort. It's nice and tucked away at the end of the stretch of beach. Not real fancy but nice enough. Plus its walking distance to the Marina area. Plan to spend as little time in the rooms as possible. Doing the All Inclusive because it's a normal restaurant deal. You get served the normal menu, order and then don't have to pay. The college girls get to drink like idiots. Supposedly has a good sushi restaurant and that's on the AI list too. Will go out for dinner. Plenty of recs in this thread for dinner.

Looking to rent a private yacht for snorkeling, and sunset cruise. Any recs? Fishing is prob out since I'll be by myself. Wimmin won't want to fish. Will hit a golf course or two.

Anything else? ATV in the dunes? Not humpback season in July but what about whale sharks? 

Edited by crash_davis

The Cape

Used points to book four nights at The Cape in October over the weekend. Not typically resort types but really looking forward to it. The place really stood out to us.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Used points to book four nights at The Cape in October over the weekend. Not typically resort types but really looking forward to it. The place really stood out to us.

I haven’t stayed at all of the best places in Cabo.  But I have stayed at Esperanza and Pedregal.  I like the Cape better. Smaller.  Cool vibe.  Very nice.  Great setup.  And price is a lot bettter.