2020 UFC/MMA thread

ss13

Cut his hand on the piss bottle. 

Former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis is in the process of suing the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency for an injury he says he suffered while providing the agency a urine sample immediately before a fight against Nate Diaz in August 2019.

According to Pettis, USADA, which oversees the UFC's year-round anti-doping program, requested a urine sample prior to Pettis' fight against Diaz at UFC 241 in Anaheim, California. Pettis says he submitted the test but suffered a laceration on his right hand while screwing on the top of a glass collection bottle.

Ariel Helwani's MMA Show: Conor McGregor denies allegations; expects to make $80M vs. Cerrone

Pettis, 32, says the UFC doctors closed the cut on his hand with glue, and he still managed to fight. Pettis said his longtime coach, Duke Roufus, advised him to pull out of the bout entirely. Pettis (22-9) lost a unanimous decision.

Pettis' manager, Abe Kawa, told ESPN that they have retained noted anti-doping attorney Howard Jacobs, who has defended UFC star Jon Jones in a USADA anti-doping case, and intend to file a lawsuit this week.

"We are absolutely filing a lawsuit," Kawa said. "We'll be naming USADA, the UFC and the manufacturer of the bottle that Anthony cut himself on."

USADA representatives declined to comment when reached by ESPN.

Pettis, of Milwaukee, is scheduled to face Diego Ferreira at UFC 246 on Saturday in Las Vegas. It will mark his first appearance since losing to Diaz last August.

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Does anyone else feel this weekend's fight is a sham against a completely washed up and punchy Cowboy that's only designed to get the golden goose a badly needed win? 

I don't know if I'd use the word sham yet, but I agree that Cowboy is past his prime and is a excellent hand-picked opponent for the golden goose.  That's said, if the goose wins and gets to step over more active and more deserving fighters for a championship shot, it certainly reeks of a sham at that point.  If Cerone survives the first couple rounds, he can certainly win the fight if he decides to use his submission skills.

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Does anyone else feel this weekend's fight is a sham against a completely washed up and punchy Cowboy that's only designed to get the golden goose a badly needed win? 

There's no pretense it's anything but this

8 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Cowboy, after a good small run, has been completely outclassed his last two fights. Better pull him to the ground.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, VinyVango said:

I don't know if I'd use the word sham yet, but I agree that Cowboy is past his prime and is a excellent hand-picked opponent for the golden goose.  That's said, if the goose wins and gets to step over more active and more deserving fighters for a championship shot, it certainly reeks of a sham at that point.  If Cerone survives the first couple rounds, he can certainly win the fight if he decides to use his submission skills.

I wouldn't put it past Dana. But yes I agree this is absolutely a cherry-picked fight.

Earlier today I thought about where it leads, should the goose win, and would *think* that the most fair (not the thing that makes Dana the most money) would be to give him the loser of Tony/Khabib. Either would be absolutely huge. Masvidal would make sense too, but Jorge wears him down. Usman/Conor? No thanks.

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

There's zero chance the UFC feeds the Goose to Usman or Masvidal. Or Covington. Won't ever happen as long as he remains the Goose. 

But he should get the loser of the lightweight title fight. Even though we all know he'll get the winner. 

UFC doesn't dictate his fights anymore, in the context of multi-fight career planning.

He's working on single-fight contracts now, where it gives him leverage, and any match could be his last.  After beating step-over Cerrone, he might angle for any fight that is the biggest, even if it's very "losable". 

There's no more unblemished record or mystique to preserve.  No charting a course to the belt.  If he can sell 2.0M PPV in a losing match, vs 1.0M in a winnable match, he'll go for the one with higher payout.

That's why he wouldn't fight Gaethje.  Wouldn't sell much more than Cowboy.  So after this one, it's just about what would be the bigger spectacle, vs Usman, vs Masvidal, vs Ferguson, vs Khabib, vs or someone else. 

Cerrone doesn't really have a 3rd gear.  He's methodical.  He takes a while to get loose.  His chin is suspect at this point in his career and he's been stopped by body shots when he was a younger tougher man.  He prefers to stand nowadays and will need to chop at Conor's lead leg and body a bit with kicks to make him honest.

Conor will hit 3rd or 4th gear within the 1st round.  He will gas out well before 5 rounds.  Cerrone could accelerate Conor's gas tank drain if he somehow is able to make him defend some ju jitsu... but Cerrone hasn't really shown much ability/desire to get guys into a grappling contest in his past several fights.

If Cerrone can make it through 3 rounds and can do so without being busted up in pure survival mode, he has a solid chance to beat Conor, once Conor's gas is low and his speed, movement, and defense become sloppier due to fatigue.

Based on Cerrone's last 2 fights, I think Conor wins by TKO/KO in round one.  If Cerrone somehow survives 3 rounds without getting beaten close to death and can get some work done with kicks, maybe he knocks Conor off balance and taps him out.

I've always been a fan of Cowboy and I'll be rooting for him.  But he's 4-6 in his last 10 fights and he's 36 years old.  

I think Conor will be careful with Cowboy and win on a decision or doctor stoppage from a cut.  I don't think Conor ends it in one round, but I don't see how he loses unless he gets careless.

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I've always been a fan of Cowboy and I'll be rooting for him.  But he's 4-6 in his last 10 fights and he's 36 years old.  

I think Conor will be careful with Cowboy and win on a decision or doctor stoppage from a cut.  I don't think Conor ends it in one round, but I don't see how he loses unless he gets careless.

He will fight with his hands down, but I don't think cowboy will bite. 

Conor by WWE style finish (just like when Tony fought him) in the 4th or 5th. 

They are there to put on a show.

Holy fuck this card looks terrible, but sometimes these are the ones where every other fight is a banger with a crazy ko.

The way the match making has gone in the espin era is pathetic

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

He will fight with his hands down, but I don't think cowboy will bite. 

Conor by WWE style finish (just like when Tony fought him) in the 4th or 5th. 

They are there to put on a show.

Holy fuck this card looks terrible, but sometimes these are the ones where every other fight is a banger with a crazy ko.

The way the match making has gone in the espin era is pathetic

Oh yeah, he'll fight with his hands down.  I just meant he'll be careful as in I don't think he'll try to force a KO.  Cowboy is very beatable these days, but still dangerous.

Just now, TexArcher said:

Oh yeah, he'll fight with his hands down.  I just meant he'll be careful as in I don't think he'll try to force a KO.  Cowboy is very beatable these days, but still dangerous.

true, but I think the playbook on Cowboy is pressure, so maybe he won't be too too careful. Conor's chin is also not deleted yet, I don't know about his cardio, but he gassed out bad against Khabib. I think Conor wants to put on a show and show his cardio, so he stretches it out then overwhelms with pressure at the end of the 3rd. Gets into the 4th with that same plan. If Cowboy really wanted to win he would pull guard lol. Cowboy wants to bang, thank God.

All this hopefully creates a 162 division between the 155 and the 170. There's way too many fighters that shrink themselves too much for 155, but are a bit undersized for 170. Fuck the commissions, just call it the BMF division and setup Mastival vs. Conor next. 

You now remember that time gooby did a bunch of cocaine and ran into the lelletor ring to celebrate with his boy

32 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

GSP recommends the opposite that Mcgregor starts hot before Cerrone warms up and downloads.

Over 9,000 hrs in paint - Y'all want to make predictions?

EWGEWG.jpg

Main Card (10 pm ET on ESPN+ PPV)

Conor McGregor vs. Donald Cerrone

Holly Holm vs. Raquel Pennington

Aleksei Oleinik vs. Maurice Greene

Brian Kelleher vs. Ode Osbourne

Anthony Pettis vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira

Preliminary Card (8 pm ET on ESPN)

Roxanne Modafferi vs. Maycee Barber

Andre Fili vs. Sodiq Yusuff

Tim Elliott vs. Askar Askarov

Drew Dober vs. Nasrat Haqparast