2020 UFC/MMA thread

ss13

I hope he stays at welterweight and fights Masvidal because he doesn't deserve to get a title shot at 155 versus either Khabib or Ferguson. Especially if it's Khabib because we already saw he looked completely befuddled and had zero chance to withstand that outside of a one hitter quitter lucky punch. 

Masvidal wants that fight for the money and because he knows he has the advantage. Fighting Usman is much more precarious for him because of Usman's size and sheer grappling tenacity. 

Give the goose to Masvidal at 170 with winner fighting Usman. 

Khabib gets Ferguson with the winner defending next against Gathje

18 hours ago, ss13 said:

Ouch 

The doctor came into the ring and said it was just a partial tear though wtf lol

17 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I hope he stays at welterweight and fights Masvidal because he doesn't deserve to get a title shot at 155 versus either Khabib or Ferguson. Especially if it's Khabib because we already saw he looked completely befuddled and had zero chance to withstand that outside of a one hitter quitter lucky punch. 

Masvidal wants that fight for the money and because he knows he has the advantage. Fighting Usman is much more precarious for him because of Usman's size and sheer grappling tenacity. 

Give the goose to Masvidal at 170 with winner fighting Usman. 

Khabib gets Ferguson with the winner defending next against Gathje

Gathje may be a great matchup against Khabib, but I think Tony would catch em. 

I'll be surprised if Khabib doesn't pull out of the Tony fight though, that shit is just not happening. Tony should be ready for Conor to step in.

Gotta take Rogan and the UFC to task over this whole Stephen a Smith thing. Smith's style is definitely not anything I like but there is nothing he said that's way out of line on that post fight analysis. Rogan spends a lot of time rightly criticizing the extremists on the far right and left for being overly sensitive cunts but in this case he's being way too sensitive. 

The clip I saw of the lost fight didn't show Smith say Cowboy quit. He said he put an atrocious performance and got hit and didn't seem to want to be there. That's 100 percent plausible. Cowboy is like the Tony Romo of mma. Prolific career. Very good. But when it's championship time he just wasn't on that level, and over the last 2 years I think he's realized he can't beat Khabib or Woodley/Usman for a title. Can't happen.

He also realizes he has a name and a following and for at least several fights he can get paid to go in and show up. It happens in boxing all the time. Over the hill fighter with a name keeps taking fights for the money but he doesn't fight to win anymore. If the win is there and he doesn't have to take a massive beating he'll take it, but he's no longer going to fight through the fires of hell to go the distance or have a shot to win. We've seen fighters like Thiago Santos go toe to toe with Jon Jones on two shreded knees (and in my opinion he won 3-2 but got robbed by politics). Cowboy is plenty tough enough to fight through those early shots but at this point why do it? Just go down and be ready to fight again asap to cash more checks. Now he has that little girl to take care of and I think that's exactly what he did. 

MMA people like Rogan have been clamoring to be taken seriously with the major American sports, but now that they're on ESPN and ESPN is sending its most visible and highly paid personality to cover it they can't be getting all bitchy and butt hurt when that guy calls out a horrible performance by the main event fighter. Especially in a fight like this that was an obvious sham from the very beginning to boost the promotion's Golden Goose. 

If they want to stay a niche sport on the fringes and live in their own little bubble where they control the narrative they can do it but then get off ESPN and stop trying to go mainstream. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 8:53 PM, Junior Miller said:

Gotta take Rogan and the UFC to task over this whole Stephen a Smith thing. Smith's style is definitely not anything I like but there is nothing he said that's way out of line on that post fight analysis. Rogan spends a lot of time rightly criticizing the extremists on the far right and left for being overly sensitive cunts but in this case he's being way too sensitive. 

The clip I saw of the lost fight didn't show Smith say Cowboy quit. He said he put an atrocious performance and got hit and didn't seem to want to be there. That's 100 percent plausible. Cowboy is like the Tony Romo of mma. Prolific career. Very good. But when it's championship time he just wasn't on that level, and over the last 2 years I think he's realized he can't beat Khabib or Woodley/Usman for a title. Can't happen.

He also realizes he has a name and a following and for at least several fights he can get paid to go in and show up. It happens in boxing all the time. Over the hill fighter with a name keeps taking fights for the money but he doesn't fight to win anymore. If the win is there and he doesn't have to take a massive beating he'll take it, but he's no longer going to fight through the fires of hell to go the distance or have a shot to win. We've seen fighters like Thiago Santos go toe to toe with Jon Jones on two shreded knees (and in my opinion he won 3-2 but got robbed by politics). Cowboy is plenty tough enough to fight through those early shots but at this point why do it? Just go down and be ready to fight again asap to cash more checks. Now he has that little girl to take care of and I think that's exactly what he did. 

MMA people like Rogan have been clamoring to be taken seriously with the major American sports, but now that they're on ESPN and ESPN is sending its most visible and highly paid personality to cover it they can't be getting all bitchy and butt hurt when that guy calls out a horrible performance by the main event fighter. Especially in a fight like this that was an obvious sham from the very beginning to boost the promotion's Golden Goose. 

If they want to stay a niche sport on the fringes and live in their own little bubble where they control the narrative they can do it but then get off ESPN and stop trying to go mainstream. 

Lol Stephen A Smith is a complete dumbass. He also said we didn't learn anything from Conor in this fight. He doesn't understand or like mma, he wants to watch long 12 round pillow hug contests. 

Rogan doesn't really give a fuck about the UFC since they sold from the Fertittas (Zuffa) to the WME. He talks shit about the way they run it now constantly on his podcast. ESPN is dumb for trying to put their long time boxing guys covering UFC. There's not a ton of guys that know the sport, but maybe hire Bad Ruten or somebody cool to talk UFC instead of trying to have the hot take guy who couldn't name 5 fighters in the division he's covering.

• 2 weeks later...

Card on paper is kinda shitty, but most Houston cards have been pretty legit so hoping they show up and put on a show.

So yesterday Arroyo weighed in and then apparently had to go to hospital. Local guy he was gonna fight was without opponent but James Krause stepped up and was here to corner and took the fight. Pretty cool.

When Black Beast comes out to Tops Drop to start the ppv this place is gonna be on fire

Trying to get home before the co-main, but we’ll see. I’m not too excited about this fight, but I definitely want to be watching if someone can flatline Jon Jones. For some reason this kind of has an Anderson Silva v Chris Weidman vibe. Seems like Jones isn’t really giving Reyes any respect, but it probably won’t matter. 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t understand the ins and outs of the fight game, but the UFC doesn’t hire and train their own judges, right? If not, why? 

No. They can't.

All fighting is sanctioned. The sanctioning bodies are by the state. Some states are better than others for mma, but basically they all suck shit. They grab dumb fuck boxing judges to judge mma fights.

Anytime it's a government organization it's gonna be shit, but man it's extra shitty for mma. The officials suck sometimes too. 

The UFC would be "illegal" if they ran the show themselves, which is bullshit.

They should just fight in Japan and do pride rules and let everyone juice again lol.

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, JBJ is amazing and he should definitely be favored over Dominick Cruz, BUT...  -550 is too much.  That's insane against a 12-0 challenger with 9 finishes.

Lulz, fixing that...

Although I kinda would like to see that...

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Lulz, fixing that...

Although I kinda would like to see that...

Pretty sure Rogan made that exact same mistake right in front of Dominick Cruz, but maybe I heard it wrong. 

and he was a -350 favorite over DC, so -550 sounds about right tbh.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Latifi really fucking up this fight. Lewis looks amazing, he's the skinniest I've ever seen, fast, moving well. Fucking high kicks were always there, but damn the flying knees too nice.

Black beast had gotten up from better ground fighters, hopefully he gets up and there's a fight.

This lay n pray shit is garbage.

• Like 1