2020 UFC/MMA thread

ss13

I also don't think the PPV is great, but at least it has a title eliminator in Sterling/Sandhagen and then Sugar Sean is entertaining enough typically and some fighters who have been in the top 5 of rankings at some point.  Nunes should splatterface this other chick.  

The previous fight night (other than main event and Chookagian) had like 1 fighter who may sniff the top 5 in their career with Dern.  The rest of them fools were just filler.  

19 hours ago, Scraps said:

Just wait til the June 13th card.  Just announced the main event is supposed to be Jessica Eye v Cynthia Cavillo.  That is going to be a brutal card if that is what they are coming with.  

God.  WMMA is so bad.  What is the UFC's rationale and economic model behind trying to prop it up?  They just throwing darts until they hit the lotto with another Ronda Rousey?  They think somehow it's going to open viewership to more females?

At some point they need to accept that these fights yield negative returns.  Jessica Eye and Cynthia Calvillo are ranked #1 and #10.  Almost any man outside of T15 is still more interesting to watch.  And you might run into new talents like Bryce Mitchell. 

Andrade and Weili and Nunes are worth following sure, but in this case, it's worth sacrficing the baby with the bathwater.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, Scraps said:

I also don't think the PPV is great, but at least it has a title eliminator in Sterling/Sandhagen and then Sugar Sean is entertaining enough typically and some fighters who have been in the top 5 of rankings at some point.  Nunes should splatterface this other chick.  

The previous fight night (other than main event and Chookagian) had like 1 fighter who may sniff the top 5 in their career with Dern.  The rest of them fools were just filler.  

I'm not suuuuper deep in the UFC game, but I've caught a LOT of fights over the past couple years, and I didn't really know shit outside of the main even of the last fight night (woodley). I'm looking forward to Sugar Sean and Sterling, Neil Magny impressed me with his last fight, and Nunes is the baddest woman on the planet. Or are y'all this critical of it bc it's PPV? I guess I can understand that, I'm not paying for it either way though.

22 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'm not suuuuper deep in the UFC game, but I've caught a LOT of fights over the past couple years, and I didn't really know shit outside of the main even of the last fight night (woodley). I'm looking forward to Sugar Sean and Sterling, Neil Magny impressed me with his last fight, and Nunes is the baddest woman on the planet. Or are y'all this critical of it bc it's PPV? I guess I can understand that, I'm not paying for it either way though.

I am not critical of it.  I was critical of the Woodley fight night.  I am just thankfully this card coming up actually has people ranked high enough to matter in the future.  That Woodley card was straight trash when it comes to future product stock, but there ended up being a few decent fights on it.  

My stance is deeper than just these events though...it goes back years.  They started "ruining" the events because of dilution.   That's what happens when you start getting popular though and the $$$ starts rolling in.  Back when they had 12-15  PER YEAR it was awesome because you waiting for those events each month and they were spectacle events.  Most cards were pretty legit with contenders and pretty much every one of them had a title fight going on.  Now they have like over 70 events a year.  Product is diluted, but I can't lie from a fan standpoint I will watch just because I love MMA events....but look at the events on the 13th and 20th....both of those could be combined and would still be a pretty crappy card overall.  

I try not to beat this drum too often because as I stated I think it weakens the product overall, but I do enjoy watching events....so I really don't have a massive issue with all of it.   It definitely isn't going away so it is what it is.   

• Like 1

Also some may argue that the way it is now actually strengthens the product because there are more people getting shots and fighting.  I don't agree with that stance, but I can see that argument as well.  

From a money standpoint they obviously know what they are doing, but I am just specifically talking about quality of fights etc. 

Edited by Scraps

I’m not gonna post all the tweets, but Masvidal is asking to be released from his contract. Said they’re trying to pay him half of what he made against nate Diaz (because usman doesn’t draw) and how every other sport has close to a 50/50 revenue split between the players salaries and the league. The ufc is like 85/15 in favor of the UFC. 

I mean, masvidal and Jon Jones are clearly right, but it’s on the fighters to get a fighters union together. And the only person that could really drive something like that is Conor. And why would he do that?

13 minutes ago, hundredTT said:

No way spending $65 on this one. Usually my streams always freeze though, hopefully they won’t be as jammed up with this card

Dana white was talking about how satisfying it is to catch people who are broadcasting fights for others to stream. It’s never going away, Dana. I know we’ve beaten this topic into the ground but i don’t understand how this model still works. 

• Like 1