2020 UFC/MMA thread

ss13

Halfway decent Bellator card on Paramount tonight at 9. Cat Zingano makes her debut, & Phil Davis v. Lyoto. 

https://www.espn.com/mma/fightcenter/_/id/401221805/league/bellator

And if you ever wanted to see Jessamyn Duke topless, you can click. 

https://i.ibb.co/tbh2bJV/jessamyn-duke-090820.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Sheesh, Cowboy. 

One of the busiest fighters in UFC history has accepted his next assignment, as welterweights Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone and Niko Price have agreed to a bout on Sept. 19, sources told ESPN.

Cerrone (36-15) is looking to end a four-fight losing streak and is 0-2 in 2020, including a controversial loss via decision to Anthony Pettis at UFC 249 in May. Cerrone, 37, began the year with a knockout loss to Conor McGregor at UFC 246.

Price (14-4) is one of the more exciting fighters in the welterweight division. A member of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Florida, Price has won four performance of the night bonuses during his UFC career. He is coming off an entertaining TKO loss to surging contender Vicente Luque in May.

Covington/Woodley main from Vegas Apex next Saturday on ESPN+. 

On 7/11/2020 at 7:06 PM, PokerFace said:

Just starting to watch a little bit more MMA, so question for the veterans: several of the fights I have watched recently have mentioned that some of the fighters will be like an orange belt in jujitsu or something like that. How would they not all be black belts in whatever discipline they train?

Is it that they may train in several different disciplines, so may not be black belt level in all of them, or am I to believe that there is some sensei that is the black belt grandmaster that is better than that particular fighter? I would assume that any of these guys getting on the main cards for UFC would be experts and thus black belts in whatever they do. Please relieve me of my ignorance.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:11 PM, Scraps said:

I think on avg it takes like 10-15 years to get a jiu jitsu black belt. By training more you can speed it up, but it will still take years.

I think BJ Penn got his black belt in like 3 years, which is extremely fast.

Sorry to be late to the black belt party, but I figured I would chime in.  Scraps is right.  10-15 years is the norm.  In BJ's case, he obviously had an aptitude for grappling.  However, if I remember correctly, he moved to California to train BJJ specifically and was essentially living at the gym.  Ajax probably has some insight into BJ´s training as I know he is a brown belt under Ralph Gracie where BJ got his purple belt.  The fastest I have personally known anyone get a black belt in BJJ was about 8 years and he was training at least 5 times a week and competing a lot.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:15 PM, JohnnyRage said:

I stayed at a Ramada Inn last night, if you train at any real school it takes many many years to move up the skill and social hierarchy. It's not something taken lightly. Most fighters, unless you are from Brazil,  don't start out in Jiu Jitsu. It is a later on expounded skill set. Most come from wrestling, boxing, striking martial arts.

Here's one to blow your mind. There used to not be such a thing as 'belts', a black belt was developed from years and years of blood sweat and tears that discolored the belt itself. I guess bleach wasn't a thing.

I think in the past (90s) this was true of fighters not from Brazil, but I think these days it is pretty common for fighters to come from a BJJ background regardless of nationality.  Or at least they start BJJ virtually the same time they start training another discipline.  I have trained with a few pro fighters that went that route.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, TexArcher said:

Yeah, BJJ isn't a belt factory like Tae Kwon Do and other TMAs.  You can get to Blue in about 2 years, which basically means you're competent and you can probably hurt most people in the real world.  Purple takes like 4-6 years, maybe more, and purple is instructor level.  Brown and black are for the badasses.  

So when you hear somebody's a purple or even a blue in BJJ, that ain't the same as karatay.

Yes and no.  Not all BJJ schools are equal and since it has become so popular in the US, there are quite a few schools that are total bullshit and run by scam artists.  I am not sure how often it is happening now, but several years ago there were a lot of upper belts doing "dojo storms" where they would go and call out these fake black belts running BJJ schools.  Some would get it on video and it was pretty amusing.

Your time lines for blue and purple are pretty accurate.  I got my blue at 2 years (I *think* I would have got it sooner had I stayed in Brazil).  I got my purple at just under 5 years.  However, I have been stuck there for fucking ever as my training has been extremely inconsistent due to various injuries.  I am likely on the 15-20 year plan.  But within a belt grade, there is a lot of difference in skill level.  I have rolled with purple belts that I ran right through, and I have rolled with blue belts that gave me the fight of my life.  Professors (we don't call them senseis, and many americans prefer the term coach) promote their students at different rates and for different reasons.  Yeah, as a rule, you need to be able to demonstrate and apply the techniques, but some professors want you to be able to teach it, others want you to demonstrate that you are "good person" on and off the mats (I have seen people get kicked out of schools or held back at a belt for being a dickhead).

Sorry for the verbose reply, I am anxious to get back to training again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] would you say that your 'various injuries' were from practicing your martial art?

Some of them were during training but were accidental. I broke a toe when I went to throw someone and it just got caught in the mat. I also had an avulsion fracture in my thumb during training. Those sidelined me for several weeks each.

However, the big injuries are bulging disc and something is very wrong with my right shoulder. For a long time I thought the back problem was from BJJ or kettlebells, but I now believe it was from the amount of driving I was doing and the poor posture/back support. I have been able to train with this but there has been times where the sciatica was so bad that I stopped for several months (the longest being nearly a year). In the last few years it has bothered me a bit less as I have learned to avoid certain situations (getting stacked is a big one).

The shoulder is problem is within the last two years. I can not pinpoint a moment where something happened during training that caused it. One of the most common techniques that can blow out a shoulder is a kimura. I rarely get caught in those and I think I would remember something happening. I have put off going to get an MRI for various reasons. I took some time off and it felt better, returned but after a few months it was too painful. I haven’t trained since Last December because of it. Before getting back on the mats I intend to get it checked out though. I am a bit nervous that it will need surgery.

I’m not much of an ego guy on the mat so I have no problem tapping. Hell, I am in my 40s now and there is no reason to push things.

I have seen a handful of gnarly injuries though. Twice ambulances were called.

When people aren't black-belted today, it's more representative of lacking formality than skillset.  They've already got lots of experience and talent.  I think Jon Jones very recently went to purple and black.  Quite a bunch of T15 people only recently got black.

It's impossible to survive today's MMA without a very substantial BJJ skillset.  The rawest example are blue belt Derrick Lewis, who gets by with insane strength in the HW division where they mainly punch each other to death.  The other example is CM Punk, and he got clowned BAD against Mickey Gall.  Got subbed in like 10 seconds.