2020 UFC/MMA thread

ss13

To be fair, with little context, the old man was willing to be the hero that Lubbock deserved.

It's painful to listen to someone like Mike Perry that seemingly has so far to go spiritually and emotionally. It must be tiring fighting the whole world and everything in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

To be fair, with little context, the old man was willing to be the hero that Lubbock deserved.

It's painful to listen to someone like Mike Perry that seemingly has so far to go spiritually and emotionally. It must be tiring fighting the whole world and everything in it.

I think the old guy that got dropped might be the biggest idiot in this video. What exactly did you think was going to happen when you mimicked him and stepped forward like you wanted to fight.

On 7/6/2020 at 12:16 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

I think Usman and Covington are pretty clearly the two best welterweights, but Burns hasn’t gotten his turn yet. For the most part I agree with you, but I still think it should be an entertaining fight. At least the first 3 rounds. 

On 7/7/2020 at 9:27 PM, JohnnyRage said:

Usman has a cast on his left hand? Is that the one that he broke on Colby Covington's face?

Watched that last night again. That was a damn good fight.  Colby is a tough SOB

On 7/8/2020 at 12:28 PM, ss13 said:

-300 in Vegas. 

Paige is +550. 

Paige is a prohibitive favorite in my pants 

36 minutes ago, Scraps said:

July 11th has brought the fire in the past....both Hendo's H bomb destruction of Bitch ass Bisping and then Lawler/Rory fight were on 7/11.

Hoping tonight doesn't disappoint.

I was a 19 year old kid who just finished TUF for the first time, hoping that this English douche Michael bisping gets his head knocked off. 

So how is everyone leaning with main card tonight?

I will post mine so that they can be made fun in 5 hours:

Ribas
Rose
Yan
Max

And I want Masvidal to win bad, but my head says Usman. I think if it gets to rd 3 that Usman will dominate rds 3-5. Jorge gotta take him out early.

34 minutes ago, Scraps said:

So how is everyone leaning with main card tonight?

Sticking with my earlier pick of Usman by lopsided decision.

Volkonovski over Holloway by TKO.

Yan over Aldo by decision.

I'll pick the underdog Jessica just so I'm not the guy who takes all the chalk.

Ribas by murder.  Literal murder.  Nothing left but blood and busted silicone implants all over the octagon.

• Like 1

Just starting to watch a little bit more MMA, so question for the veterans: several of the fights I have watched recently have mentioned that some of the fighters will be like an orange belt in jujitsu or something like that. How would they not all be black belts in whatever discipline they train?

Is it that they may train in several different disciplines, so may not be black belt level in all of them, or am I to believe that there is some sensei that is the black belt grandmaster that is better than that particular fighter? I would assume that any of these guys getting on the main cards for UFC would be experts and thus black belts in whatever they do. Please relieve me of my ignorance.

I stayed at a Ramada Inn last night, if you train at any real school it takes many many years to move up the skill and social hierarchy. It's not something taken lightly. Most fighters, unless you are from Brazil,  don't start out in Jiu Jitsu. It is a later on expounded skill set. Most come from wrestling, boxing, striking martial arts.

Here's one to blow your mind. There used to not be such a thing as 'belts', a black belt was developed from years and years of blood sweat and tears that discolored the belt itself. I guess bleach wasn't a thing.

Yeah, BJJ isn't a belt factory like Tae Kwon Do and other TMAs.  You can get to Blue in about 2 years, which basically means you're competent and you can probably hurt most people in the real world.  Purple takes like 4-6 years, maybe more, and purple is instructor level.  Brown and black are for the badasses.  

So when you hear somebody's a purple or even a blue in BJJ, that ain't the same as karatay.