Texas BMDs Who are they?

orangeut

23 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yes, DFW BMDs are rumored to have been in on Strong, then Houston got theirs with Herman.  When Mensa shits the bed it will be the power guys in the RGV and the Permian Basin combining forces to call the shots.

Hell yea, lets get some futbol going 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:36 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Yes, DFW BMDs are rumored to have been in on Strong, then Houston got theirs with Herman.  When Mensa shits the bed it will be the power guys in the RGV and the Permian Basin combining forces to call the shots.

22 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

"When"? 

Soon, ese, soon.

16 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Joe Jamail?

I was just going to ask about Joe. Did he leave anything to the university or more specifically to the athletics dept. I can't remember how he felt about Strong but I'm glad Red didn't die while Strong was here I can definitely see that old codger holding it against the athletic dept.

On 1/13/2020 at 8:36 PM, Surly Bevo said:

I never heard those rumors at the time. Not sure if they are true. Powers certainly seemed constrained by his P.C. views and the Korn Ferry report. He wasn't going to pay for the report and then go in another direction. His football knowledge was limited, as such it appeared (from my limited perspective) that the Korn Ferry report was the menu and he chose what he felt was the best (most comfortable) choice from that menu. I had understood (again from my limited perspective) that Red had been trying to get Patterson to look at Gruden and at least two others. Patterson wouldn't take or return his calls. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It certainly seems so.  Almost cultish.  I think even Wall Street is moving away from that model.  Also, spending that kind of money on rent and amenities and accoutrements seems kind of non-fiduciary.

I could say the same about a lot of law firms.  

On 1/13/2020 at 7:47 PM, Randolph Duke said:

If you want to see just how deep the alumni pockets are, swing by Lemmon Ave by Love Field on the way to the Cotton Bowl for the OU game and look at the iron parked by where TacAir and Signature are. The line of planes flying out of Love after that game will blow your mind.

Them all be Toby Keith’s.  

On 1/15/2020 at 9:29 PM, bizzle said:

some of you clearly don't office at old parkland. 

Well we've named Bob and sure you can throw in Crow even though I'm not sure he is even to the level of BMD as the Moncrief's let alone the true large check writers. So besides Bob and Crow who else that offices at Old Parkland are considered BMD?

Cockrells (Big Houston Organization run by a family)
I would assume Jeff Hildebrand as well (HilCorp).
McCombs of course.

Are the Cockrells really involved at all with Athletics ? Considering neither of their kids even went to UT & never seemed that interested in it.

Yes, Cockrell is mostly a foundation as far as giving to the academic side, but there are other interests that could probably easily fund some BMD activity.

Ernie H, the son of College of Engineering Cockrell is the right age and probably has sufficient distributions from the various interests to be a BMD.  He has two degrees from UT.

His kids, nieces and nephews are the ones that haven't gone to UT as far as I can tell.  And they seem to be outside of the various Cockrell interests, but I'm sure they still collect fat checks.  Maybe not fat enough to be BMD's if they were so inclined.

Edited by TwiceHorn