2020 CFP National Championship Game: #3 Clemson @ #1 LSU - Sugar Bowl on ESPN

immamac

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The refs stank that game up unnecessarily. LSU didn't need the help. Clemson couldn't overcome the loss of those DL last year. Good enough against most teams, but Burrow was something special this year, and congrats to the LSU staff for having some fucking imagination with the offensive playcalling. Tony Elliot called a miserable game. ETN was averaging 5.2 yards a carry, fucking run him. 

I don't know. They really fucked the momentum out of Clemson and threw them off their game. The QB never settled down. He might have been able to get in rhythm. We'll never know. 

6 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I don't know. They really fucked the momentum out of Clemson and threw them off their game. The QB never settled down. He might have been able to get in rhythm. We'll never know. 

No. Lawrence was never gonna get there. He was terrible tonight from start to finish. I agree somewhat with the sentiment that some crucial ref errors in the second qtr really gave some tailwind to LSU changing momentum but this game was really never in doubt once SE adjusted with the qb draws and Clemson had no counter for pressure. For the first time in decades, there is no doubt whatsoever that LSU is the best team in the country and they proved it again against a damn good Clemson team with a very tough and physical defense. 

it was a perfect storm year for them. 

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The refs stank that game up unnecessarily. LSU didn't need the help. Clemson couldn't overcome the loss of those DL last year. Good enough against most teams, but Burrow was something special this year, and congrats to the LSU staff for having some fucking imagination with the offensive playcalling. Tony Elliot called a miserable game. ETN was averaging 5.2 yards a carry, fucking run him. 

Those guys would have helped, but you have to have some pretty amazing corners on top of that, like 3 legit lockdown corners to be able to hold up against that WR corps.  Clemson is loaded, and they still had 42 hung on them.  The stars aligned with Brady coming in and having Burrow and this group of receivers, and 22 to hand the ball off to. That little fucker is such a major factor and he never gets enough credit. Critical first downs, huge momentum shifting runs, absolute beast at killing clock.

LSU will be more mortal next year with Burrow gone, kind of like Clemson came back down to earth a little with the group that left them last year. Not sure of it was a case of the big head or just forgetting how young a Lawrence is, but I expect him to assert himself next year and have a Clemson right back in it. They have just stockpiled too much talent to have a big drop off. 

15 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Clemson wasn’t ever going to win that game. The better team won. 

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Does anyone think Ohio St would have gave LSU a better game? Before the playoff started, I thought they were the team who had the best shot to knock off OU. Clemson just did not look like they did last season. Lawrence seemed unstoppable last season.

WTF? No one would have thought that. You have been wrong all season about Texas and the Cowboys.

4 minutes ago, Royal With Cheese said:

WTF? No one would have thought that. You have been wrong all season about Texas and the Cowboys.

It was a simple question, dork. No need to get offended by it. 

Wrong about Texas? Lmao. Sure thing. Don't think I ever claimed they would win shit as this season moved along. I mean, did anyone?

26 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Does anyone think Ohio St would have gave LSU a better game? Before the playoff started, I thought they were the team who had the best shot to knock off OU. Clemson just did not look like they did last season. Lawrence seemed unstoppable last season.

I thought Ohio State was the second best team, so I agree with you. But fuck them. 

48 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

LMAO...you thought there was that one team out there who could knock off the mighty Sooners? 

I know what you meant and I'm going with no...this team was something else.  Maybe Clemson with that ungodly Dline last year puts up a better fight...but not tOSU. 

Yeah, I said about a month or so ago that I thought both Ohio St or Clemson would boat race LSU.

I changed my mind after the gooner detonation, but boy was I wrong.

That is a really really (/Herman) good team AND coaching staff.  

They deciphered what Venables was doing and eviscerated his scheme, no ifs ands or buts.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah. I thought so.

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Those guys would have helped, but you have to have some pretty amazing corners on top of that, like 3 legit lockdown corners to be able to hold up against that WR corps.  Clemson is loaded, and they still had 42 hung on them.  The stars aligned with Brady coming in and having Burrow and this group of receivers, and 22 to hand the ball off to. That little fucker is such a major factor and he never gets enough credit. Critical first downs, huge momentum shifting runs, absolute beast at killing clock.

LSU will be more mortal next year with Burrow gone, kind of like Clemson came back down to earth a little with the group that left them last year. Not sure of it was a case of the big head or just forgetting how young a Lawrence is, but I expect him to assert himself next year and have a Clemson right back in it. They have just stockpiled too much talent to have a big drop off. 

With a mortal QB, Texas beats LSU.  Burrow is great.  Had a rough 1Q tonight, but settled in.

Just think: we played that team as closely as anyone...and then the wheels cane off our season. If we could have maintained that level of play for the whole season, we might have only lost another game. Crazy to think how it all shook out. LSU had a perfect storm of good things happen (good coaching, right players, few injuries). We had a perfect storm of bad things happen (poor coaching, players shitting themselves, lots of injuries).

They were the best team, no doubt, but we were right there and squandered our season. Players and coaches have to be kicking themselves tonight. 

• Like 2

Trevor Lawrence was terrible in that game, he sailed pass after pass over his receiver's heads. LSU knocked off a slew of ranked teams throughout the year, they earned it. Clemson played a bunch of trash and was never tested to the extent that LSU was tested. Make no mistake Ohio St would've gotten their asses beaten too.

Stingley is the best DB on that team. He will be a top 5 pick when he can declare imo

11 hours ago, bullet said:

With a mortal QB, Texas beats LSU.  Burrow is great.  Had a rough 1Q tonight, but settled in.

Colts completion record % is safe thanks to that 1Q. Given the year Burrow had, that record may stick for a while.

Edited by bigcigar
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Clemson was disappointed that Alabama wasn't there and to find out they were not invited to the Super Bowl and didn't want to be there.