2020 CFP National Championship Game: #3 Clemson @ #1 LSU - Sugar Bowl on ESPN

immamac

50 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I was eating lunch yesterday at some local dive diner, and ESPN was on the TV. Those douchebag idiots were claiming Lawrence might be the best college football player of all time.

Curse. lulz.

He certainly might get there, its hard to believe that he hit his ceiling already.  Sometimes you need a kick in the ass to realize that you still have room to improve.  Its not like he was out there making bad reads, his throws were just off.  That can be corrected. 

Burrow is living fucking proof of that, his progression in one year is hard to wrap your head around.  

Stats | CMP	ATT	CMP%	YDS	AVG	TD	INT	LNG	RTG
2019 | 	402	527	76.3	5,671	10.8	60	6	78	202.0
2018 | 	219	379	57.8	2,894	7.6	16	5	71	133.2

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Ohio State and LSU fans are the two worst fan bases in college football.

I was actually trying to think of a trashier fan base last night. Settled on the notion that LSU fans are like aggy. One on one, many are salt of the earth types.  In a crowd, I’d rather hang out with ISIS. 

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I was actually trying to think of a trashier fan base last night. Settled on the notion that LSU fans are like aggy. One on one, many are salt of the earth types.  In a crowd, I’d rather hang out with ISIS. 

and there's OU, remember them?

13 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Yeah I'm sure Beckham stopped with him and certainly didn't give anyone else any cash behind closed doors or at any other time

Clemson has one of the two or three highest paid rosters in college football. Players get paid. 

I bet OBJ wishes that Cleveland was the Ohio team with the #1 pick, not Cincinnati. 

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Ohio State and LSU fans are the two worst fan bases in college football.

I feel like LSU fans are fine. Fun to drink with. By and large they haven’t had a team that was really unlikable unless you want to count this years team. Bama fans and Gator fans (and aggy of course) are easily the worst in the SEC.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Those guys would have helped, but you have to have some pretty amazing corners on top of that, like 3 legit lockdown corners to be able to hold up against that WR corps.  Clemson is loaded, and they still had 42 hung on them.  The stars aligned with Brady coming in and having Burrow and this group of receivers, and 22 to hand the ball off to. That little fucker is such a major factor and he never gets enough credit. Critical first downs, huge momentum shifting runs, absolute beast at killing clock.

LSU will be more mortal next year with Burrow gone, kind of like Clemson came back down to earth a little with the group that left them last year. Not sure of it was a case of the big head or just forgetting how young a Lawrence is, but I expect him to assert himself next year and have a Clemson right back in it. They have just stockpiled too much talent to have a big drop off. 

Honestly that game against LSU next season is gonna tell me all I need to know about this Texas team in 2020. If these players or coaches have any cojones, we’ll win that game. We have the experience advantage at every position except WR. I can’t imagine them coming out uninspired for that game

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Honestly that game against LSU next season is gonna tell me all I need to know about this Texas team in 2020. If these players or coaches have any cojones, we’ll win that game. We have the experience advantage at every position except WR. I can’t imagine them coming out uninspired for that game

LSU has a ton of Juniors, I wonder how many are going to bolt trying to ride the championship wave.  

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

LSUs Jefferson is already gone, top 15 pick in April maybe. It doesn't matter how much he takes now.

Covered above, but the second player he hands cash too isn't gone.  Just a Fuck you to the NCAA from LSU.  Nothing to see here.

Edited by fattyflattie

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

LSU is about to claim national championships coached by Les Miles and Ed Orgeron — Coach Potato U.

i love when people assume O is dumb and/or not worth a shit...

in his 49 games as the LSU head coach...24 have been played against Top 25 teams. he's won 17 of those games.  but when you look closer at LSU's record against Top 10 opponents, Coach O is 12-3 in games...including 8 straight dating back to the UCF game last year.

another way of looking at it: dating back to last year's Fiesta Bowl Coach O has us on a 16 game winning streak,  with 8 of those wins came against Top 10 teams.

Coach O can flat out get it done.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i love when people assume O is dumb and/or not worth a shit...

in his 49 games as the LSU head coach...24 have been played against Top 25 teams. he's won 17 of those games.  but when you look closer at LSU's record against Top 10 opponents, Coach O is 12-3 in games...including 8 straight dating back to the UCF game last year.

another way of looking at it: dating back to last year's Fiesta Bowl Coach O has us on a 16 game winning streak,  with 8 of those wins came against Top 10 teams.

Coach O can flat out get it done.

I don't know that I think Ed is smart, but he's an affable guy, he's a good motivator, and he did a great job making new hires for his staff and letting them do their job. Kudos to him.

As much as I think he's a lying asshole for the fake cramps and A/C bullshit, I respect what he did with his team this season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

He certainly might get there, its hard to believe that he hit his ceiling already.  Sometimes you need a kick in the ass to realize that you still have room to improve.  Its not like he was out there making bad reads, his throws were just off.  That can be corrected. 

Burrow is living fucking proof of that, his progression in one year is hard to wrap your head around.  

Stats | CMP	ATT	CMP%	YDS	AVG	TD	INT	LNG	RTG
2019 | 	402	527	76.3	5,671	10.8	60	6	78	202.0
2018 | 	219	379	57.8	2,894	7.6	16	5	71	133.2

This shit does not even seem real. I don't think I've ever seen a QB progress that much in one year. Holy shit.  It's like going down to the easy level on a  video game and just dominating because its so easy. Props to him. One of the best QBs I have seen at this level for a given season. 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Anyone else catch Herbstreit's comment at the end of the game that LSU hires the best players?  Oops.

I was about to post the same thing.  Pretty sure that was what I heard, but never rewound to confirm.  Thanks for the confirmation.  And props to Herbstreit for admitting the truth.

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

Seemed like he was trying to throw the ball through a fucking brick wall and everything sailed high. He was not good last night, that's for sure. I thought we'd get more deep balls to tall WR's such as Higgins and Ross like last year against Bama. They got one to Higgins but it was called back due to a bullshit offensive PI call against Higgins.

14 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don't know that I think Ed is smart, but he's an affable guy, he's a good motivator, and he did a great job making new hires for his staff and letting them do their job. Kudos to him.

As much as I think he's a lying asshole for the fake cramps and A/C bullshit, I respect what he did with his team this season.

So pretty much the exact opposite of Herman.  Got it.

2 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Not sure that cojones will matter, but I have almost zero confidence that our players will be coached well enough to win that game.

14 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Ed Oregeron has been coaching for 30 years. He's the physical embodiment of the neanderthal, rub some dirt on it FOOTBAW guy. He was smart enough, and humble enough, to realize power based, run offenses aren't going to win championships in college football anymore. Saban was winning with that shit, but even he realized that the game was changing and he allowed Alabama to open the offense up. Nobody could've ever predicted Burrow would be THIS, but Orgeron knew he had something as well as a wealth of skill position weapons so he trusted a relatively unknown dude to come in and reshape the offense. It was a gamble and it very clearly worked out.

Orgeron is like Dabo. I don't think anyone will ever think he's a tactical genius, but he paid his assistants well and delegated to them. This is the era of the CEO coach in college football. Nick Saban is a once in a generation coach, trying to find someone like him is fools gold. Dabo's extreme religious fanaticism plays well to recruits and their mothers. Ed O is the perfect representative for Louisiana culture. They're charismatic, smart leaders who delegate to smart coaches. 

I'm super impressed by his willingness to try something different even if it was counter to his every instinct as a football coach. His humility and willingness to delegate is completely antithetical to the way Texas football is run currently.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This shit does not even seem real. I don't think I've ever seen a QB progress that much in one year. Holy shit.  It's like going down to the easy level on a  video game and just dominating because its so easy. Props to him. One of the best QBs I have seen at this level for a given season. 

Yea, that's why I had hope going into the game this year.  Florida fucked Burrow up in 2018.  He was 19-34, 192 yards and 2 picks.  I knew he had improved, but I also thought that teams just weren't playing LSU right, or didn't have the right mix of guys on D to hold up in the back until pressure could get home.  Granted we were missing our two best pass rushers for the bulk of that game, but it might have been a 7 point swing if anything.  This offense was just a machine, and short of an NFL defensive backfield, there was no slowing this team down.  

This is why Joe Brady should be the highest paid assistant in college football, and should probably be making close to ogre money.  What he did with that QB and receivers in one offseason is unreal.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Seemed like he was trying to throw the ball through a fucking brick wall and everything sailed high. He was not good last night, that's for sure. I thought we'd get more deep balls to tall WR's such as Higgins and Ross like last year against Bama. They got one to Higgins but it was called back due to a bullshit offensive PI call against Higgins.

I think the playcalling really screwed Lawrence up. ETN was running over LSU and Elliot refused to give him the ball. Also, look at that overthrow chart, one ball in the deep middle. One. Get your head out of your ass and call some different plays, besides Higgins/Ross down the sideline. 

5 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Wtf can Texas do to get at the level these teams are? They seemed like they are two deep NFL talent at every position.

Mack got complacent and lazy at the end.  Charlie was always a lazy recruiter.  It takes time and success.

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I think the playcalling really screwed Lawrence up. ETN was running over LSU and Elliot refused to give him the ball. Also, look at that overthrow chart, one ball in the deep middle. One. Get your head out of your ass and call some different plays, besides Higgins/Ross down the sideline. 

I got so frustrated with Lawrence continuously trying to muscle 35-40 yard sideline throws that would've gained about 8-10 yards if he hadn't airmailed them.

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

That's really hard to do by design.  LSU has Delpit playing cleanup in the middle of the field and he eats up a ton of space on anything not driven.  Might be why Lawrence was throwing so hard.  Looking Delpit off one way and throwing the opposite boundary is about the only safe throw you have deep.