Tokyo

RollLeft

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/shopping/best-depachika-food-halls-in-tokyo

the department stores in Tokyo - especially on Ginza have fabulous food halls.  Great to visit - even if you don't buy.

take the subway everywhere - its easy to use.

most restaurants do not speak English, so be prepared to point.

eat sushi at one of the small places at the Fish Market - even breakfast. The old outer market is still there but if you want to see the tuna auction you need to go to the new market.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html

https://tokyocheapo.com/entertainment/toyosu-fish-market-what-to-know/

• Like 2

As i get older I'm less and less of a planner when it comes to travel.  With technology these days i find myself dropping in on a city and just going with it.  This was the case for me on this trip and Tokyo met the convenience challenge.  The subway was easy to navigate, but you have to keep up with all the connections.  I found the monorail and buses even easier to use.  The buses were nicer and more direct to the popular destinations.  They cost a few more bucks but the wait was worth not having to deal with the masses.  Think private charter and not U.S. city bus.  Didn't try Uber as i was told it wasnt big here, but like other Asian countries Grab works to get a cab, though new.   Haneda airport is just as easy to navigate as Narita, if not easier.  Free bus that loops from terminal to terminal if needed. Sometimes you hear the Japanese are the most resistant to all things English, yet the most western culturally of the Asians.  I knew the second part to be true but was uncertain of the first.  Its fair to say but while the Japanese may not speak much English the transportation and most places i went offered or tried to offer an English option.  If Singapore is the L.A. of Asia then Tokyo to me is the NYC of Asia, with one major difference.  The attitude of the people.  As a rule and not the exception the Japanese are friendly and open to help.  We all know they aim to please in their service but i'm not talking about that.  I'm referring to the average person on the street. In summary the food options were crazy good.  The weather was superb.   The people watching is world class.  I'd hit it up again but not my idea of a top vacation destination.  I hear leaving the city is where its at for that.  Though i'm not a big skier.  It did make me question one thing.  Why do we accept the shitty take that the reason for the often experienced shitty NY attitude and service is because of the size and pace.  Tokyo dwarfs NYC in population and rivals its pace and lifestyle yet welcomes you with a smile and a helpful attitude.  You have no excuse NY, get your shit together.     

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 3