7th Dem 2020 Debate (last before Iowa)

bad_teammate

Steyer - Warren - Biden - Sanders - Buttigieg - Klobuchar

Expectations:
- CNN will try to build up the Warren/Sanders drama
- Bernie will try to go after Biden
- Klobuchar will have an "I think women CAN win" line prepared
- Steyer will claim to be the only candidate to be talking about something they all talk about
- Buttigieg will continue to be hated by everyone else on stage
- The all-whiteness of the panel will be brought up

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

- CNN will try to build up the Warren/Sanders drama

one of the first questions will be to bernie.  "senator sanders, there was a story that came out that you told elizabeth warren that a woman cannot win the presidency.  do you believe that a woman cannot win?"

if he talks about how the story was misconstrued or the conversation was misinterpreted in some way, he loses the round.  if he ignores the premise and gives a 45 second answer about how a woman can definitely win and we're way overdue (or some such), then he wins.  i think 95% chance he's already memorized the latter.  if he hasn't, his people screwed this up.

the stupid slack/volunteer thing likely won't make it into a debate.

the drama should be over by 6:03pm (pst).

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Buttigieg is somehow getting worse at coming across as authentic as this process goes on.  Usually the candidates get better at campaigning instead of worse.

I think he would finally gain ground with black voters if he cut out the "debate competition" voice. I have nothing to back that up, but will someone please send that to his campaign manager. It's killing me

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Watching this with my wife, so now the topic of conversation is the real issue of the election:  why the fuck does Klobuchar have one arched eyebrow and one flat one?

Now that's all I see when she speaks. 

Edited by Zombie

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Buttigieg is somehow getting worse at coming across as authentic as this process goes on.  Usually the candidates get better at campaigning instead of worse.

He is getting worse. Bernie and Biden have both gotten better. The rest are the same. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

one of the first questions will be to bernie.  "senator sanders, there was a story that came out that you told elizabeth warren that a woman cannot win the presidency.  do you believe that a woman cannot win?"

if he talks about how the story was misconstrued or the conversation was misinterpreted in some way, he loses the round.  if he ignores the premise and gives a 45 second answer about how a woman can definitely win and we're way overdue (or some such), then he wins.  i think 95% chance he's already memorized the latter.  if he hasn't, his people screwed this up.

he got the question, and he fucked it up.

If the "30 years" thing is any indication, Warren and Bernie don't know how to communicate with each other. She seemed genuinely confused about his 1990 win counting for "in the last 30 years" and he had no idea how she missed it. After seeing that between them, it's much easier to see how they could have had a huge misunderstanding about America voting for women.

• Like 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

If the "30 years" thing is any indication, Warren and Bernie don't know how to communicate with each other. She seemed genuinely confused about his 1990 win counting for "in the last 30 years" and he had no idea how she missed it. After seeing that between them, it's much easier to see how they could have had a huge misunderstanding about America voting for women.

It was awkward for sure. I really didn't like it even though you know I'm definitely for Bernie. Just have to remind myself that this shit isn't going to really matter for primary voters in the next few weeks.

Just now, Henry Hill said:

He can’t come up with a price on M4A because he doesn’t know what’ll it will cost but he knows it’ll be cheaper than the status quo. Ok.

No one has a price tag for basically any of their plans. Biden thinks we can cover EVERYONE for $74B/year? Fucking lunacy.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Maths are hard with these two. 

1 minute ago, Henry Hill said:

He can’t come up with a price on M4A because he doesn’t know what’ll it will cost but he knows it’ll be cheaper than the status quo. Ok.

We paid over $6k to have our daughter two years ago because, immediately as a newborn, she had a deductible. That was on top of all the premiums I had to pay. Everyone paying into a single healthcare system would easily be cheaper than rolling the dice on whatever insurance plan your company provides.

• Like 2