Fleetwood Mac has fired Buckingham, hired Mike Campbell

Gil Bang

No doubt.  She is a star . . . none of the rest of them have anywhere near that kind of charisma.

I keenly remember the hushed concerns about Stevie being "a witch" when the band was at their peak.  Yeah, she probably did/does practice wicca at some point (I don't really know), but it was mostly just more fuel for the fame fire.  (Holy alliteration, Batman!)

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Agree on both counts. I’m just saying the majority of their fan base and concert attendees don’t realize it.

I dunno, most are probably going to be thinking, "where is the skinny guy with weird hair and the funky guitar?"

I could be fairly intrigued by this lineup, if they were doing new stuff. Not sure how most of their old songs go down. Some really old school Mac from the Peter Green era would be neato with Mike on Guitar, but that seems unlikely.

Lindsay may be a dick, but he was the only member that was a leader, capable of giving the band some direction. The rest are all followers. Even Stevie seems to need help finishing her songs.

Nicks is the only other possibly transcendent talent to come through Fleetwood Mac (don't even start with me, Greenies), but I wonder where she would be had it not been for Lindsey and then, when she left FM to pursue a solo career, Tom Petty (and Petty's right hand man, Iovine). My instinct is that she is a brilliant clump of clay that needed to be molded properly, and lucky enough to have been the muse of two of pop's all-time greatest.

I don't think I would feel cheated to see a FM show with only Stevie, though.

26 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

Nicks is the only other possibly transcendent talent to come through Fleetwood Mac (don't even start with me, Greenies), but I wonder where she would be had it not been for Lindsey and then, when she left FM to pursue a solo career, Tom Petty (and Petty's right hand man, Iovine). My instinct is that she is a brilliant clump of clay that needed to be molded properly, and lucky enough to have been the muse of two of pop's all-time greatest.

RE the bolded, have you seen them in concert recently?  Stevie isn't Stevie anymore.  

34 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

RE the bolded, have you seen them in concert recently?  Stevie isn't Stevie anymore.  

I saw them live during that post The Dance reunion tour at the Summit and they were fantastic. It's unfortunate what happened over the last 20 years. There are a few videos of them performing from the last few years, and you're right, Stevie's been hit hard (no pun intended). She may not have that magic in her voice, but it's still Stevie up there and that's something, imo.

Getting old sucks, but I imagine getting old after a life of serious Schedule 2 fuckery is another level.

Shame.

Edited by BoomMF

I saw them live during that post The Dance reunion tour at the Summit and they were fantastic. It's unfortunate what happened over the last 20 years. There are a few videos of them performing from the last few years, and you're right, Stevie's been hit hard (no pun intended). She may not have that magic in her voice, but it's still Stevie up there and that's something, imo.
Getting old sucks, but I imagine getting old after a life of serious Schedule 2 fuckery is another level.
Shame.
Yeah, i get all that, but LB is still LB. He's why i would go see them today. And with him gone, i will not go see them now.

3 hours ago, BoomMF said:

I don't know, it's not the same. The interplay and tension between Stevie and Lindsey, which they play up to the hilt, is a primary source of the drama and impact they are presenting. It's a major ingredient on their stage show.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

It might be a cover band, but I'd love to hear what Campbell and Finn bring to Fleetwood Mac.

I'd like to see it not be a cover band, and just start over like they did a couple of times before with something totally different. It's a fantasy at this point, but it would potentially be awesome.

12 minutes ago, DougO said:

I'd like to see it not be a cover band, and just start over like they did a couple of times before with something totally different. It's a fantasy at this point, but it would potentially be awesome.

I don't disagree with that at all.  Finn is a great singer, and could hold his own with Stevie & Christine.  Campbell's hooks go without saying.  It would be a late-era veer for Fleetwood Mac, as they did from Peter Green and Bob Welch.

I don't know, it's not the same. The interplay and tension between Stevie and Lindsey, which they play up to the hilt, is a primary source of the drama and impact they are presenting. It's a major ingredient on their stage show.

Preach. Relatedly: The version of Silver Springs from The Dance is more great theater than great performance, and it's a darn great performance. I still get goose bumps when I see it. It's like Stevie is channeling 30 years of emotion to the point of catharsis. Add the fact that it's set to Silver Springs, a song that would have been on Rumours were it not for Lindsey's vote. And lyrically it's perfect. Stevie's eyes darting around unsuredly, maybe even insecurely, after giving Lindsey the business - Did she think she went to far? Did she not go far enough? Does she feel emotionally exposed? And Lindsey has to sit there and take it. "Thank you, Stevie!" Chills, man.

The upscripted standing ovation is warranted.

I'm not sure, for Stevie's part at least, it was played up so much as it was genuine expression. Apparently, up till even recently, he would do small things meant to fuck with her. Much of the time it would elevate to abuse.

They should make a new album.

• Like 3

I think so. And apparently I’ve never played with a drummer who had a real drum kit until now. Because that gold sparkle DW is by far the best sounding kit I’ve ever heard.

Our drummer bought if off of reverb a few months ago. Seller was the drummer in the video. Apparently he was super cool and said that kit toured with him and Stevie several times over about a 5 year period.

12 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I’ll just leave this here because A) it’s bad ass and 2) our drummer now owns the gold sparkle custom DW drum set featured in this video and it is beyond bad ass

Most probably already know this but a cool story about that song is Stevie asked Tom Petty's first wife how old she was when they met.  She said, 'the age of 17" but Stevie heard "The Edge of 17"

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 6:56 PM, Grandioso said:

Roger Waters and David Gilmour are on good terms.  

Um, did I miss something?  Yeah, they got together for Live 8, but they are on anything but good terms.  Gilmour is super pissed still about Waters suing them for years.  Waters would like it to be water under the bridge so to speak, but it ain't.

I'm a huge FM fan, but I don't think the Mac without Lindsey is the Mac.  I saw Floyd without Waters in the 90's, and it was good, but it wasn't Floyd.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 8:56 PM, Grandioso said:

The fucking drama with this band.

The Eagles got back together and Roger Waters and David Gilmour are on good terms. Fucking Guns N' Roses got back together and are having a blast. Fleetwood Mac is like if you took Guns N' Roses and you replaced everyone except Axl with a clone of Axl. 

I’m still upset that AC/DC replaced Brian Johnson with Axl Rose.

15 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Preach. Relatedly: The version of Silver Springs from The Dance is more great theater than great performance, and it's a darn great performance. I still get goose bumps when I see it. It's like Stevie is channeling 30 years of emotion to the point of catharsis. Add the fact that it's set to Silver Springs, a song that would have been on Rumours were it not for Lindsey's vote. And lyrically it's perfect. Stevie's eyes darting around unsuredly, maybe even insecurely, after giving Lindsey the business - Did she think she went to far? Did she not go far enough? Does she feel emotionally exposed? And Lindsey has to sit there and take it. "Thank you, Stevie!" Chills, man.

I'm not sure, for Stevie's part at least, it was played up so much as it was genuine expression. Apparently, up till even recently, he would do small things meant to fuck with her. Much of the time it would elevate to abuse.

See, and that is why Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey is just some different band.  They can play all the same songs, and may sound pretty good, but that raw emotional back-and-forth between those two that has been going on for 40 years cannot be replaced.

That song is fucking great.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BoomMF said:

It was a great, productive dynamic, if not a healthy one.  Even in their later albums they were still taking digs at each other, reflecting on each others emotional problems. And they were collaborating with each the the whole time.

I didn't know who the hell Waddy was until I saw this goofy looking bastard playing with Stevie in a concert video I saw on TV a few years ago. I was glued to it because of his playing and had to look up who it was. He's a total badass.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, DougO said:

It was a great, productive dynamic, if not a healthy one.  Even in their later albums they were still taking digs at each other, reflecting on each others emotional problems. And they were collaborating with each the the whole time.

Interesting video. Thanks.

Lindsey with the cameras on him seems like a decent human.

18 minutes ago, DougO said:

I didn't know who the hell Waddy was until I saw this goofy looking bastard playing with Stevie in a concert video I saw on TV a few years ago. I was glued to it because of his playing and had to look up who it was. He's a total badass.

Good playing on the Zevon and Rondstadt stuff as well.

Love Mike Campbell, Waddy and the like, but I will always be in the Lindsey camp.

Strangely enough, Buckingham is how I got into playing guitar (through my sister's constant nagging about how good he was/is).

Edited by Rip76
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DougO said:

Second guitar in Keef's solo band, The X-Pensive Winos.

• Like 1

Sorry for the Waddy thread hijack.  

Just to offer my .02 on the thread topic:  I love Mike Campbell.  I own one of his signature guitars.  He was perfect guitarist for Tom Petty.

But Lindsey is 100 times more original and creative... think about the unconventional drums and syncopated high guitars at the beginning of "Go Your Own Way," which he had to fight the label brass to keep intact (they told him they "couldn't find the beat" and wanted him to change it to something more straightforward).  

Or think about the arrangement to "Tusk" - pounding drums and acoustic guitars with a very muted (almost whispered) vocal part singing in octaves, and that gives way to a marching band in the choruses.  Brilliant and totally original.  

And he's technically proficient.  Second half of this song just blows me away:

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 12:33 PM, hullabelew said:

Most probably already know this but a cool story about that song is Stevie asked Tom Petty's first wife how old she was when they met.  She said, 'the age of 17" but Stevie heard "The Edge of 17"

Lol.  Age and edge are pretty much homonyms in the South.

Retirement is great and all that, but the insomnia is a regular deal.  The videos on this page were a great way to spend the early morning.

As a guy I'm not supposed to give a shit about the Buckingham and Nicks drama.  I always thought it produced great stuff from LB, but had long since stopped listening to the band's recordings.  The video of The Dance offers an alternate perspective.  Funny how art, even pop, can make one reflect on ones own life.

• 3 weeks later...