Fleetwood Mac has fired Buckingham, hired Mike Campbell

Gil Bang

Oh yeah.  

Similar experience -- the only time I saw Eric Clapton, he was touring with Paul Carrack as his keyboard player.  He gave the stage over to Paul to perform not only "Tempted", which is quite literally my #1 favorite song of all time (and that is not even close to an exaggeration), but also "How Long" by Ace, which was an eye-opener, as I never knew that was Carrack on vocals.

I want to see this Fleetwood Mac tour.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh yeah.  

Similar experience -- the only time I saw Eric Clapton, he was touring with Paul Carrack as his keyboard player.  He gave the stage over to Paul to perform not only "Tempted", which is quite literally my #1 favorite song of all time (and that is not even close to an exaggeration), but also "How Long" by Ace, which was an eye-opener, as I never knew that was Carrack on vocals.

It is a jam of jams.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mdmost said:

She played the long game on her revenge for the break up. 

According to Lindsey, she was the one who dumped him.

Buckingham and Nicks were a duo, professionally and romantically, when they joined Fleetwood Mac together in 1975. But they broke up during the recording of the landmark "Rumours" album. The song "Go Your Own Way" is about their breakup.

"I was not the one doing the leaving. She left me. But there was never really any chance to get anything like closure because that takes perhaps some distance," Buckingham said.  

Edited by DougO

Lindsey Buckingham / Fleetwood Mac breakup talk not going away.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/lindsey-buckingham-calls-fleetwood-macs-current-lineup-a-cover-band?fbclid=IwAR3MaD5HU40zRE_Y-b-bs5Um9a_druAksZSh26g0Vqv1pjlkCX0tLDpOhW4

“I don’t know what they’re doing. It’s a cover band kind of deal, and Stevie Nicks may be enjoying that, and that’s fine. If she’s happy doing that, there is no one outcome that I think is going to be OK.

“The way I look at it is it’s giving me an opportunity to do some things in a more rapid-fire way with some new people who actually care about what I’m doing and not just about getting the money from Fleetwood Mac.

“I mean, it does make me question who these people are, but again, to look at it compassionately, I think it’s all coming from a lack of perspective and to some degree a certain weakness on their parts. I can’t stop loving them because of that.”

On 11/22/2018 at 3:32 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Oh yeah.  

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I know this is way off topic, but this post is so fucking spot on regarding "How Long".  It's always the first tune played once I get my boat in the water.  First song Carrack ever wrote...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I know this is way off topic, but this post is so fucking spot on regarding "How Long".  It's always the first tune played once I get my boat in the water.  First song Carrack ever wrote...

Dude.  A thousand thanks for posting.   Song is in my top 5 of all time.

• Like 1

Back on topic.

Just got my daughters tix to the Feb 9th Fleetwood Mac date.  Was planning on taking them and being there too, but gotdamn, fuckers are up there in the stratosphere price wise.  Shit, Roger Waters in SA was a bargain in comparison.

I know, csb.

Edited by Cajun

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, Cajun said:

I saw him do it with Ace opening for Clapton way back in 1974, just after he wrote it.  Fun, stupid fact:  the song isn't about a two-timing romantic thing, it's about a bandmember moonlighting with another group and not telling Carrack and his band.  No, really!

Awesome song.  You don't hear a lot of people covering it because few can.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:28 PM, BoomMF said:

Interesting video. Thanks.

Lindsey with the cameras on him seems like a decent human.

You can just sense that Don Henley sort of arrogance just under the surface though.

Interesting watching him and Stevie digging in while still attempting to not have the conversation go nuclear.

Like their each lighting up a cig while driving a fuel tanker.

I’ve seen FM four times in my life, once in their heyday in the 70’s at my second concert ever and it was unreal. once in Cali in the 2000’s without Christine at the Pond and it wasn’t very good. Saw them about four years ago with the full lineup with my daughter in the fourth row right in front of LB and it was awesome.

Saw them last Thursday because my brother gave me tickets for Christmas and they sucked. Without LB they aren’t the same. Mike is one of my guitar hero’s and I spend a lot of time chasing his tone when I’m playing petty tunes but his sound is different than LB’s and these songs were written with LB’s unique playing style and tone in mind.

I kept hearing that vox-tele lightly distorted growl instead of that very clean Rick Turner tone along with his flawless finger picking. LB only uses like 2 or 3 pedals, mainly delays and he has unique pup setups so basically no one can sound like him and it’s noticeably missing even with the the great Mike Campbell filling in.

Campbell killed when they played three Green era Mac tunes, “Black Magic Woman”, “Oh Well” and “Tell me all the things you do”

Stevie sounds like a girl that I went to high school with. at our 30th reunion she showed up with a black eye. I asked her what happened and in her baritone, cigarette, whiskey voice growled “my old man hit me”.

In summation, they were bad and I never thought that would be possible given the talent level in this band but they aren’t the stones and their days of rocking have come and gone

• Haha 1

I watched some of their live stuff on youtube. Not the best quality to judge, but it wasn't imrpessive. I don't have any problem with the makeup of the band in theory, but they are rough. Finn sounded like a good addition when it was announced, but his voice doesn't really work with their music, it gets lost, not enough balls to cut through. The harmonies of the group are terrible because the girls just can't cut it, and Finn's range isn't quite there to handle those tunes.

Christine seems like she just can't sing at all any more. Stevie seems on the edge of 70, having a tough time holding it together.

Mike Campbell's guitar sound is sweet as can be, but he looks bored as hell. He's just wasted on this stuff.

I thought maybe it had a chance if they tried changing things up a bit to suit the strengths of the new lineup. But, as feared, they're just a Fleetwood Mac cover band, and not a particularly good not at this point.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

I saw Crowded House about 3 years ago and was blown away. They can still bring it and Neil Finn is so underrated as a frontman, singer and guitarist. I really hope they put something out soon.

Finn was good.  His voice wasn't exactly like LB's, but it was ok.  

On 2/11/2019 at 8:05 AM, Mileslong said:

I’ve seen FM four times in my life, once in their heyday in the 70’s at my second concert ever and it was unreal. once in Cali in the 2000’s without Christine at the Pond and it wasn’t very good. Saw them about four years ago with the full lineup with my daughter in the fourth row right in front of LB and it was awesome.

Saw them last Thursday because my brother gave me tickets for Christmas and they sucked. Without LB they aren’t the same. Mike is one of my guitar hero’s and I spend a lot of time chasing his tone when I’m playing petty tunes but his sound is different than LB’s and these songs were written with LB’s unique playing style and tone in mind.

I kept hearing that vox-tele lightly distorted growl instead of that very clean Rick Turner tone along with his flawless finger picking. LB only uses like 2 or 3 pedals, mainly delays and he has unique pup setups so basically no one can sound like him and it’s noticeably missing even with the the great Mike Campbell filling in.

Campbell killed when they played three Green era Mac tunes, “Black Magic Woman”, “Oh Well” and “Tell me all the things you do”

Stevie sounds like a girl that I went to high school with. at our 30th reunion she showed up with a black eye. I asked her what happened and in her baritone, cigarette, whiskey voice growled “my old man hit me”.

In summation, they were bad and I never thought that would be possible given the talent level in this band but they aren’t the stones and their days of rocking have come and gone

After watching/listening to my daughters' videos from the show, yeah, I see your point.

Poor McVie, those pipes are completely shot.

Stevie's lost steps too, but she's still very much enjoyable.  The rest of the show (at least the snippets I heard) just had no real heart.

I saw Stevie solo about a year or so ago here and it was much better.  She was invested and told stories to go along with just about every song.  Good stories.  Even down to watching Prince shoot hoops after a recording session ala Charlie Murphy.

4 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I saw Crowded House about 3 years ago and was blown away. They can still bring it and Neil Finn is so underrated as a frontman, singer and guitarist. I really hope they put something out soon.

Here fucking here. To me the most criminally underrated pop bands with bigger intentions of the late 80s - early 90s are Crowded House and Del Amitri. To be that poppy and approachable while still writing great, finely crafted tunes with lyrics that balance cynicism, romanticism, and 'fuck it, let's have fun & rock' is a great gift.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Here fucking here. To me the most criminally underrated pop bands with bigger intentions of the late 80s - early 90s are Crowded House and Del Amitri. To be that poppy and approachable while still writing great, finely crafted tunes with lyrics that balance cynicism, romanticism, and 'fuck it, let's have fun & rock' is a great gift.

I have no idea what Pineapple Head is about, but it's one of my favorite songs of all time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dreams is number 1 song on iTunes right now. 2020 is one of the weirdest years on record, and the circumstances of Dreams becoming a hit again 40+ years later are even stranger. 

But goddamn, it’s a good song. Stevie Nicks at the height of our powers. I won’t argue she’s the best female vocalist of all time or anything likethat,but certainly right place, right time, right band. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Dreams is number 1 song on iTunes right now. 2020 is one of the weirdest years on record, and the circumstances of Dreams becoming a hit again 40+ years later are even stranger. 

But goddamn, it’s a good song. Stevie Nicks at the height of our powers. I won’t argue she’s the best female vocalist of all time or anything likethat,but certainly right place, right time, right band. 

She just released a new song and it kinda sucks. So people probably bailed and followed the next youtube recommendation, which was one of her big hits, so it got all the hits.

Edited by DougO

Just now, DougO said:

She just released a new song and it kinda sucks. So people probably bailed and followed the next youtube recommendation, which was one of her big hits, so it got all the hits.

I believe the TikTok video with 38 million views is the source of Fleetwood Mac’s newfound momentum. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
I believe the TikTok video with 38 million views is the source of Fleetwood Mac’s newfound momentum. 

Especially since Mick Fleetwood did one, too.

It’s like the YouTube twins listening to In the Air Tonight and being blown away by the drums/beat for the first time. In glad there are platforms where young people can discover classic rock. 

My parents were pretty old school. Our house/our car, our music. Period. Nearly constant Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, and Springsteen. Classic rock stations at all times in the car. 

My paternal grandmother was never in great health. So we’d visit her in Seguin almost every weekend. A solid two hour block of classic rock each way. Good times. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

And AC/DC and Van Halen were #2 and #3 - 2020 producing that as a top 3 songs on iTunes is.....odd.

Of course, Van Halen jumping up there was for all the wrong reasons.