Art Briles back coaching in college

theaveragejon

So I am guessing this is the last time we hear that he is making a comeback in the college ranks? If he is still too radioactive now after all of this time, there is no way someone gives him an OC shot as he continues down the back side of the age curve.

The website was running a huge story on the college football page on why it was a terrible look for Grambling to chance him with his past.  Plus Stephen A. Smith was slamming him and others were asking why it had to be a HBCU that was taking a chance on him.  It was pretty in-depth.  At least online.  I think it's still on the website.

I wonder if they were bitching because he was white.
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So I am guessing this is the last time we hear that he is making a comeback in the college ranks? If he is still too radioactive now after all of this time, there is no way someone gives him an OC shot as he continues down the back side of the age curve.

I think there's still an outside chance that lunatic booster group in Lubbock makes another run at him.  But I also think the same outcome would await and sanity would prevail again.

13 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Not on the website... but like I said in an earlier post, absolutely some people were like, "WTF?! If he was black, he'd be in prison."

Ehhh. no. If he had the same W/L record at Baylor, he would be bullet-proof in McLennan County no matter his race. They will circle the wagons around Baylor at all costs. If you think the defense of Kyiv is impressive, just try to assail Baylor in McLennan county. It's been what 5-6 years and they still think the whole thing is an ESPN jihad against them because "we was winning'". It out aggys the aggys and will make you sick at your stomach that we have these mouth breathers in the state. No reason to bring race into it, although some folks just can't get past bringing it into every thought.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Ehhh. no. If he had the same W/L record at Baylor, he would be bullet-proof in McLennan County no matter his race. They will circle the wagons around Baylor at all costs. If you think the defense of Kyiv is impressive, just try to assail Baylor in McLennan county. It's been what 5-6 years and they still think the whole thing is an ESPN jihad against them because "we was winning'". It out aggys the aggys and will make you sick at your stomach that we have these mouth breathers in the state. No reason to bring race into it, although some folks just can't get past bringing it into every thought.

I think you misread the conversation...

But since you mentioned it...  People bringing race into every thought is why "Historically Black" is even a thing. Historically.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Not sure why he left Mount Vernon. Relative obscurity, small town living with keys to the city.

I talked to a few locals years ago when he was hired as well as when he left.  It  is about 50/50 on really like him or really hate him.  

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

I think you misread the conversation...

But since you mentioned it...  People bringing race into every thought is why "Historically Black" is even a thing. Historically.

Yes, the discussions I'm seeing online among African Americans is that they're pretty adamant if Briles were black he wouldn't be getting the second (or third or fourth) chance that he was getting with Grambling. Turns out he's not getting that second (or third or fourth) chance here either but he WAS hired and lasted a few days.

My old man being a beer drinkin Baptist, hated Baylor with a passion. Knew Grant Taeff was a spawn of Satan and a pure evil motherfucker. He went most ballistic when he sent his huge linebacker on a kickoff to murder all American kicker Steve Little; knocked him out of the game. Taeff was a dirty as fuck cocksucker. Fuck Grant Taeff and fuck Baylor.
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

My old man being a beer drinkin Baptist, hated Baylor with a passion. Knew Grant Taeff was a spawn of Satan and a pure evil motherfucker. He went most ballistic when he sent his huge linebacker on a kickoff to murder all American kicker Steve Little; knocked him out of the game. Taeff was a dirty as fuck cocksucker. Fuck Grant Taeff and fuck Baylor.

It's as if we are brothers.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yes, the discussions I'm seeing online among African Americans is that they're pretty adamant if Briles were black he wouldn't be getting the second (or third or fourth) chance that he was getting with Grambling. Turns out he's not getting that second (or third or fourth) chance here either but he WAS hired and lasted a few days.

Weren’t said folks who did the raping that Briles covered for make it to the damn nfl? 

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Weren’t said folks who did the raping that Briles covered for make it to the damn nfl? 

Did they? I can't remember who all of them were? Of the ones we know of by name, at least one of them (Tevin Elliott) is in prison. I don't believe Shawn Oakman ever played a down in the NFL. Who else was there?

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Did they? I can't remember who all of them were? Of the ones we know of by name, at least one of them (Tevin Elliott) is in prison. I don't believe Shawn Oakman ever played a down in the NFL. Who else was there?

Damn Oakman Never made it? That dude was a meme and a freak.  Waste 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Oakman was in the CFL this season.

23 hours ago, Deej said:

Works for the Girl Scouts and those damned cookies.

My wife was a Girl Scout leader and in the one year we were in, the Houston Area Office moved three times and each time demanded new letterhead, business cards, and redecorating each new place.  A hugely inefficient system.   And the one leader event I went to was more about giving out bullshit awards and badges to the attention whore leader moms than anything about the program for the girls.   After years in the Boy Scouts, GSA was a complete farce.  

On the other hand, I think something decent came from all this:

She seems fun.  And loved the interview.  I'll follow her.

• 1 year later...

bumping this since Briles keeps getting brought up as a potential hire somewhere (he's still nuclear this many years later for good reason)

Defector: The Just-Revealed Conversations Between Art Briles And Baylor Staff Are Exactly What You’d Expect

https://defector.com/the-just-revealed-conversations-between-art-briles-and-baylor-staff-are-exactly-what-youd-expect

In 2015, Baylor hired the law firm Pepper Hamilton to investigate how the university handled reports of sexual assault. This is now part and parcel for universities or large organizations in the midst of a public scandal: hire an outside law firm, have those lawyers investigate and generate a report, then release a detailed report to the public and promise it won't happen again. Except Baylor didn't release a detailed report to the public and, when pressed, it said that was because leadership never had Pepper Hamilton write a document—instead they received all the information orally. It sounded like there was no paper trail to be had at all except, it turns out, as with many oral reports, this one included a PowerPoint presentation. That PowerPoint presentation became an exhibit during Baylor's recent trial, making it a public record.

What was entered into the court record was still incomplete. Names have been redacted, as well as about 88 pages of the 143-page presentation. A few details are hard to make out in the transition of turning a PowerPoint presentation into a printed-out document. What Defector is publishing is about one-third of the presentation Pepper Hamilton showed to Baylor leadership, and none of the pages made public discuss sexual assault. But what it shows still matters because it offers an unedited glimpse into how a football coach, an athletic director, a vice president, and even general counsel talked about the various ways that Baylor kept football players away from consequences no matter what. They are, in these exchanges, unguarded.

the bottom of the article has the redacted pepper hamilton report info in it.