Jack Reacher to Amazon

Gil Bang

On 2/7/2020 at 2:45 PM, Drew said:

Don't know.  Can't just cast based on what book readers think of when they read a book.  Expanse and GOT actors and everything would be completely different.

I understand the gripes about a 5'2" guy pretending to be a bad ass...but if they cast a 5'9"-5'11" it shouldn't hurt them.

On 2/8/2020 at 4:26 AM, Bama Llama said:

Height schmeight, physique schymisique, it's the acting.  Forrest Gump's character as written was 6'6" and ~250# but Tom Hanks nicely finessed that discrepancy.

As usual, wrong.

From Lee Child himself:

I really enjoyed working with Cruise. He's a really, really nice guy. We had a lot of fun. But ultimately the readers are right. The size of Reacher is really, really important and it's a big component of who he is...So what I've decided to do is – there won't be any more movies with Tom Cruise. Instead we're going to take it to Netflix or something like that. Long-form streaming television, with a completely new actor. We're rebooting and starting over and we're going to try and find the perfect guy

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

As usual, wrong.

What's "wrong?" In the book, Gump was 6'6" 242# at 16.  Hanks won the oscar for best actor.  And why "as usual?"  For the record, I picture Reacher as the big guy with lizardy skin in Guardians of the Galaxy, in other words, I'd like to see an effort made to resemble Child's character.  But the vibe is more important to me.  Reacher is one attentive sonofabitch, and doesn't waste time philosophizing.  Got no quarrel with you, Rage, just want to know what you meant by "As usual, wrong."

3 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

What's "wrong?" In the book, Gump was 6'6" 242# at 16.  Hanks won the oscar for best actor.  And why "as usual?"  For the record, I picture Reacher as the big guy with lizardy skin in Guardians of the Galaxy, in other words, I'd like to see an effort made to resemble Child's character.  But the vibe is more important to me.  Reacher is one attentive sonofabitch, and doesn't waste time philosophizing.  Got no quarrel with you, Rage, just want to know what you meant by "As usual, wrong."

JFC.  I bet 99.9% of people didn't even know Forest Gump was a book. What he was in that book didn't matter at all.  However, Jack Reacher has only been known for twenty years in the books.  That's how fans knew him, and his size was a huge component (that's what she said).  If you can't understand this, stop posting.

20 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

As usual, wrong.

From Lee Child himself:

So you used a quote from the author of the book to prove your point?  Of course he thinks that...he wrote the book with the character a certain way.

You can't tell me a 5'10" bad ass couldn't give you the same feeling, especially if you never read the book.  It's like getting mad that Peter Dinklage isn't quite as deformed a dwarf as he should have been based on the book.

• Like 1

My point, which Pilots Error whiffed, was that the actor's size and physique won't mean shit if he doesn't have the acting chops.  I've read or listened to all the Reacher books and enjoyed them all.  His bulk is often a handicap, when running or dealing with tight spaces.  His enemies usually underestimate his mind, not his strength.  I think Bautista could be a good fit but mainly want to see the soul of the Reacher character captured, along with the great detail Lee Child painstakingly describes.  I want a big, bad, smart ass Reacher, faithful to the print character, but not at the expense of putting a quality product on film.  

5 hours ago, Drew said:

So you used a quote from the author of the book to prove your point?  Of course he thinks that...he wrote the book with the character a certain way.

You can't tell me a 5'10" bad ass couldn't give you the same feeling, especially if you never read the book.  It's like getting mad that Peter Dinklage isn't quite as deformed a dwarf as he should have been based on the book.

You are not necessarily incorrect. 

The issue with Tom Cruise was the audience/fans knew he was a dwarf from the second he was cast. In this role, no amount of movie magic was going to overcome your brain knowing he is Ewok size instead of Grape Ape

With a tip of the hat to Pilot Error agreeing to part of what he said,  I saw both Cruise films never having heard of Lee Child or having read a Reacher book, no preconceived image of Jack Reacher.  I liked both films and today, seeing them in the context of the Reacher books they were based on, say they held up well.  As film adaptations of books go, they worked well for me.  Now, if he had been decked out in the ears and wardrobe from Legend it just wouldn't have worked.  I could see Jack Reacher figuring out how to set off an explosion with several reflecting devices, though.