Dasvidaniya, Felicia

jimmyjazz

47 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If this is 1991 all over again, imma look forward to busting out my old JNCOs

Its more like 2008 and 2012.  This has already happened twice.

2000-2008: Putin is President.  President is the most powerful position.

2008-2012: Putin is Prime Minister.  Prime Minister is the most powerful position.

2012-present: Putin is President. President is the most powerful position.

Putin agrees to abide by self imposed consecutive term limits.

202x-202x: Putin is Prime Minister.  Prime Minister is the most powerful position.

And lol that some of you think they are resigning in protest.  They are resigning to show fealty.

"In his statement, Medvedev indicated that the government was resigning to clear the way for Putin's proposed reforms."

To me, the charade seems pointless.  He should just install himself as official dictator or Tsar. He has the full "backing" of all the "elected" officials as it is.

Edited by FondrenRoad

Putin is never going to relinquish power. Dictators can never do so because it is the main action that risks their safety or position.  Say that Putin wants to relax in retirement. If the wrong person, from his view, gets elected, he could find himself in prison for life.  He will either die in office, or be involuntarily forced out.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm shocked that Medvedev is resigning as well.

He's outlived his usefulness. Up until now, Putin was using a constitutional loophole where he steps aside into the PM role while Medvedev takes the president role, but doesn't relinquish power behind the scenes. They would either swap places until the end of one of their lives, or as some thought, until Putin modifies the constitution to allow him to be dictator for life. With this reform, Putin is giving power to the Duma to select the prime minister instead of that power lying with the president.

On the surface, that sounds all well and good and "giving the power to the people," but instead it is him taking all the power away from the president, an office that he has to utilize loopholes to hold on to, and creating a secured office for him to remain a head of state in the PM. Under the current system, Putin is kind of left with his ass hanging out when the time comes for the new president to appoint him PM. What is to keep an aspiring individual from consolidating power away from Putin and naming someone else PM? Essentially, the new president could appoint their own puppet PM to avoid being a puppet president. Instead of his power being at the mercy of one man and then navigating the elections as president, he is instead shifting it to simple majority vote of the Duma, which is far easier to obtain and more secure. The Duma is filled with a bunch of people who are very eager to get rich and climb the ranks, so they are easily bought and on an individual basis pose no direct threat to Putin. Also, this adds a layer of protection from the Russia populace, as they will elect the Duma who will then appoint him as PM. All he has to win is a couple hundred votes, not hundreds of thousands (Russian elections are rigged, anyway, but why leave that to chance in the future).

It was only a matter of time. Welcome back, USSR. 

46 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

He's outlived his usefulness. Up until now, Putin was using a constitutional loophole where he steps aside into the PM role while Medvedev takes the president role, but doesn't relinquish power behind the scenes. They would either swap places until the end of one of their lives, or as some thought, until Putin modifies the constitution to allow him to be dictator for life. With this reform, Putin is giving power to the Duma to select the prime minister instead of that power lying with the president.

On the surface, that sounds all well and good and "giving the power to the people," but instead it is him taking all the power away from the president, an office that he has to utilize loopholes to hold on to, and creating a secured office for him to remain a head of state in the PM. Under the current system, Putin is kind of left with his ass hanging out when the time comes for the new president to appoint him PM. What is to keep an aspiring individual from consolidating power away from Putin and naming someone else PM? Essentially, the new president could appoint their own puppet PM to avoid being a puppet president. Instead of his power being at the mercy of one man and then navigating the elections as president, he is instead shifting it to simple majority vote of the Duma, which is far easier to obtain and more secure. The Duma is filled with a bunch of people who are very eager to get rich and climb the ranks, so they are easily bought and on an individual basis pose no direct threat to Putin. Also, this adds a layer of protection from the Russia populace, as they will elect the Duma who will then appoint him as PM. All he has to win is a couple hundred votes, not hundreds of thousands (Russian elections are rigged, anyway, but why leave that to chance in the future).

It was only a matter of time. Welcome back, USSR. 

It's actually more tsarist than USSR. The USSR at least faked giving a shit about the people.  In it's history, I think Russia has had one single free election. 

Putin is never going to relinquish power. Dictators can never do so because it is the main action that risks their safety or position.  Say that Putin wants to relax in retirement. If the wrong person, from his view, gets elected, he could find himself in prison for life.  He will either die in office, or be involuntarily forced out.

Putin knows that once he is no longer in power he’s as good as dead. Period.

Recent news blurb mentioned that Putin was considering incentives, etc for couples to have more children because Russia's birthrate has declined. The reference to the birthrate made me think of the Romanian dictator, Nicolae Ceaușescu, and what happened to him at the end.

I happened to be in NYC (December 1988) when Mikhail Gorbachev made an hasty exit back to Moscow following a terrible earthquake in Armenia.  The city shut down a corridor back to the airport -- maybe Broadway?  I can't remember -- and as his motorcade roared past, not one American seemed to give a damn about the man.  The hate for the USSR in my youth was widespread, and I find it a perfect indictment of our shitty education system that many of my peers have completely abandoned that perspective.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I happened to be in NYC (December 1988) when Mikhail Gorbachev made an hasty exit back to Moscow following a terrible earthquake in Armenia.  The city shut down a corridor back to the airport -- maybe Broadway?  I can't remember -- and as his motorcade roared past, not one American seemed to give a damn about the man.  The hate for the USSR in my youth was widespread, and I find it a perfect indictment of our shitty education system that many of my peers have completely abandoned that perspective.

Its not an accident. Its done by design. Keep the poor whites and blacks and browns uneducated and hateful and turn them against themselves and other brown foreigners. The system and the media preaches it every day.

Meanwhile reap the profits from their labor until that labor, hopefully someday, ain’t needed anymore or its at least needed less and paid less.

Then what.