The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Appreciate the info, but next time, could you please do a copy/paste/plain text?

I use dark mode on chrome and a normal copy/paste fucks things up. Also, I'm not picking on you specifically; instead, I've finally decided to make a stand on this common posting issue.

tia

Thank you for bringing that up as I am not adept with this stuff and have a question if you have the time: when I go to post something, a choice is offered of 'rich' text or 'plain' text. I usually click 'plain' and just add my own quotes or use the quote box provided in the reply section. Are you saying you prefer just quote marks as opposed to the quote box as well?

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Thank you for bringing that up as I am not adept with this stuff and have a question if you have the time: when I go to post something, a choice is offered of 'rich' text or 'plain' text. I usually click 'plain' and just add my own quotes or use the quote box provided in the reply section. Are you saying you prefer just quote marks as opposed to the quote box as well?

I can't recall out of hand if your posts are issues. But, yes, pasting plain text is the way to go, regardless of the quote function.

Sometimes rich text comes out in blocks of white or the text is only slightly darker than the background and the only way to read it is to "select all" in order to create enough contrast so that it's legible. To be honest, it's a real pain in the ass but dark mode is best for these aging eyes.

Ending thread derail rant...for now.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

... a choice is offered of 'rich' text or 'plain' text. I usually click 'plain' and just add my own quotes or use the quote box provided in the reply section. Are you saying you prefer just quote marks as opposed to the quote box as well?

He's asking folks to use the plain text option.

Pro tip if you are using a PC - copy paste your quote text (from a 3rd party site - ie. text that isn't from a Surly post) into Notepad and edit it there first.  Then copy/paste from Notepad.  It will then be pasted as plain text automatically.

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

He's asking folks to use the plain text option.

Pro tip if you are using a PC - copy paste your quote text (from a 3rd party site - ie. text that isn't from a Surly post) into Notepad and edit it there first.  Then copy/paste from Notepad.  It will then be pasted as plain text automatically.

Or just use "paste special" and then select "plain text."

Control C > S > T

Just now, bolverk said:

Or just use "paste special" and then select "plain text."

The real benefit to my suggestion was the editing part.  So much easier to edit text in Notepad than from within the Surly editor which insists upon double spacing carriage returns.  I mean, do you (Surly at large, not Bolverk in particular) even ellipsis, bro?

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

The real benefit to my suggestion was the editing part.  So much easier to edit text in Notepad than from within the Surly editor which insists upon double spacing carriage returns.  I mean, do you (Surly at large, not Bolverk in particular) even ellipsis, bro?

Hadn't thought of that benefit as the double spacing is also a concern.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I can't recall out of hand if your posts are issues. But, yes, pasting plain text is the way to go, regardless of the quote function.

Sometimes rich text comes out in blocks of white or the text is only slightly darker than the background and the only way to read it is to "select all" in order to create enough contrast so that it's legible. To be honest, it's a real pain in the ass but dark mode is best for these aging eyes.

Ending thread derail rant...for now.

Thanks for answering and info, will try my best to remember when posting.

Monica has some gem tweets. Loved the John Oliver interview.

7 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Well, except for the one where she thinks James Bond can be a woman

A spy can be a woman, but James Bond is a male and IMO the definitive 007. I don't have a problem with an actress have a double 0 designation for a spin off though.

Personal order of rank:

Sean Connery

Daniel Craig

Pierce Brosnan

Roger Moore

David Niven

Timothy Dalton

George Lazenby

i had a half page diatribe typed up a month ago that I was going to post as a new post, discussing that the best strategies for Dems would be to simply focus on fairness and honesty as the framework for the Senate trial.  As I think fairness is still something the majority of Americans believe in.  Now I know a huge part of the GOP has no interest in fairness, or you wouldn't have voter suppression and a host of other actions, but they want to be reelected.  

I closed my prior non-posted diatribe asking if the rest of you still believe that most Americans have a genuine sense of fairness?  

I decided that while I do not believe the majority of Republicans believe in fairness, I believe that the majority of voters in 2020 will be able to identify an unfair process designed to hide the truth, vs an honest fair process designed to find the truth.  I have no illusions about Trump being removed from office, nor that the Senate will actually seek the truth.  Because the truth would remove not only the President, but the Vice President, Secretary of State, and several other top echelon Trump cabinet members.  So the truth must be avoided at all costs by the GOP.

The remedy will come in the Fall when just a couple percent more vote for the Dems.  It will be clear that the GOP simply does not want fairness nor honesty in the proceedings.  This will be enough to make the majority of Americans who still believe in fairness to flush the GOP out of office in a wave election. The firm 42 percent that watches foreign controlled news exclusively on television and thinks Facebook is a great news source, will vote for Trump and the GOP.  

The catch 22 of avoiding and honest look at the facts, while trying to appear to fair to the American voters is a needle the GOP will not be able to thread.  This trial is going to shape the outcome of the 2020 election far more than the GOP believes, IMHO.  Unless of course you know of some way the GOP can look fair and honest and simply ignore any and all of the facts set before it?

Party line votes to avoid fact finding over and over again will not go well for the GOP.  The only alternative to that will be allow witnesses and try to smear the process by calling witnesses who know nothing about the matters at hand?  How can the truth be avoided and still have an appearance of fairness?  Foreign controlled FOX news will show you how to thread that needle, but for the rest of folks who are not spoon fed by foreigners?  Gonna be a lot smaller needle to thread.

PS- The GOP strategy will be to pretend that the Linton Impeachment that culminated after a 6 year (true witch hunt) investigation by Ken (rape university head) Star. There was a lot of information in the record. A president under oath for example.  The GOP will pretend that having no information is the same as having all the information.  Again... I think folks will see the farce.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

i had a half page diatribe typed up a month ago that I was going to post as a new post, discussing that the best strategies for Dems would be to simply focus on fairness and honesty as the framework for the Senate trial.  As I think fairness is still something the majority of Americans believe in.  Now I know a huge part of the GOP has no interest in fairness, or you wouldn't have voter suppression and a host of other actions, but they want to be reelected.  

I closed my prior non-posted diatribe asking if the rest of you still believe that most Americans have a genuine sense of fairness?  

I decided that while I do not believe the majority of Republicans believe in fairness, I believe that the majority of voters in 2020 will be able to identify an unfair process designed to hide the truth, vs an honest fair process designed to find the truth.  I have no illusions about Trump being removed from office, nor that the Senate will actually seek the truth.  Because the truth would remove not only the President, but the Vice President, Secretary of State, and several other top echelon Trump cabinet members.  So the truth must be avoided at all costs by the GOP.

The remedy will come in the Fall when just a couple percent more vote for the Dems.  It will be clear that the GOP simply does not want fairness nor honesty in the proceedings.  This will be enough to make the majority of Americans who still believe in fairness to flush the GOP out of office in a wave election. The firm 42 percent that watches foreign controlled news exclusively on television and thinks Facebook is a great news source, will vote for Trump and the GOP.  

The catch 22 of avoiding and honest look at the facts, while trying to appear to fair to the American voters is a needle the GOP will not be able to thread.  This trial is going to shape the outcome of the 2020 election far more than the GOP believes, IMHO.  Unless of course you know of some way the GOP can look fair and honest and simply ignore any and all of the facts set before it?

Party line votes to avoid fact finding over and over again will not go well for the GOP.  The only alternative to that will be allow witnesses and try to smear the process by calling witnesses who know nothing about the matters at hand?  How can the truth be avoided and still have an appearance of fairness?  Foreign controlled FOX news will show you how to thread that needle, but for the rest of folks who are not spoon fed by foreigners?  Gonna be a lot smaller needle to thread.

PS- The GOP strategy will be to pretend that the Linton Impeachment that culminated after a 6 year (true witch hunt) investigation by Ken (rape university head) Star. There was a lot of information in the record. A president under oath for example.  The GOP will pretend that having no information is the same as having all the information.  Again... I think folks will see the farce.

You're like the anti-Brisket.

On 1/16/2020 at 2:18 AM, Zavala said:

oh, by the way, @Zavala, your president committed a crime, and, ergo, is a criminal. congrats!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/16/white-house-violated-the-law-by-freezing-ukraine-aid-gao-says-099682

The White House budget office violated the law when it froze U.S. military aid to Ukraine, the Government Accountability Office concluded in a new report.

President Donald Trump ordered the hold on the critical security assistance in July, a slew of senior White House officials testified to House impeachment investigators late last year. It was a move that coincided with an effort by the president and his allies to pressure Ukraine to investigate Trump’s Democratic rivals.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why are you such a horrible person?

Oops, my bad, it's Biden 2020 now right?

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this is the best you can do?

btw, hillary is not running in 2020.

always be trolling, i guess.

Your argument is a politico article, but looking at the underlying findings..

“Amounts apportioned, but not yet obligated as to the date of this reapportionment, for the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (Initiative) are not available for obligation until August 26, 2019, to allow for an interagency process to determine the best use of such funds. DOD may continue its planning and casework for the Initiative during this period.”

At issue in this decision is whether OMB had authority to withhold the USAI funds from obligation.

The burden to justify a withholding of budget authority rests with the executive branch. Here, OMB has failed to meet this burden. We conclude that OMB violated the ICA when it withheld USAI funds for a policy reason.

CONCLUSION

OMB violated the ICA when it withheld DOD’s USAI funds from obligation for policy reasons. This impoundment of budget authority was not a programmatic delay.

OMB and State have failed, as of yet, to provide the information we need to fulfill our duties under the ICA regarding potential impoundments of FMF funds. We will continue to pursue this matter and will provide our decision to the Congress after we have received the necessary information.

We consider a reluctance to provide a fulsome response to have constitutional significance. GAO’s role under the ICA—to provide information and legal analysis to Congress as it performs oversight of executive activity—is essential to ensuring respect for and allegiance to Congress’ constitutional power of the purse. All federal officials and employees take an oath to uphold and protect the Constitution and its core tenets, including the congressional power of the purse. We trust that State and OMB will provide the information needed.

That's all you got? We held up some money going to the most corrupt country in the world, to see if their leadership was corrupt, and that's not how congress stipulated?

Was it in the countries national interest for Trump to say what he said on the phone call?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

17 minutes ago, Zavala said:

That's all you got? We held up some money going to the most corrupt country in the world, to see if their leadership was corrupt, and that's not how congress stipulated?

Was it in the countries national interest for Trump to say what he said on the phone call?

Fascinating.  What's it like going through life in an alternate reality not knowing dick about what's going on in the world around you?