The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

On 1/15/2020 at 8:06 PM, Enchubben said:
4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

As Factbase says, "He is having a Moment." Have another one, Rep. Jeffries!

Just checked out his bio. Having people like him in our federal government gives me some hope.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

If there is anything in the legal world that Sekulow understands, it's Freedom of Information Act filings.  That's probably 90% of what the ACLJ did under the Obama administration. 

27 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

We got whitey deliberately running over 12 yr old browns just because they were brown. Go peruse the right wing violence thread. The Second Civil War has already started.

Esto. People who think it can't imagine picture it as two massive organized armies facing off against each other. It won't be like that, it will be "random" lone-shooter type right-wing terrorism combined with militia attacks on minority populations, while the cops mostly ignore but make occasionally token arrests to pretend that they're not supportive.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Donald Trump's presidency is proving that the president of the United States can do anything he wants as long as he is protected by his party and its base. 

Bingo.

That's the achilles heel of our entire system.  The failsafe is the Senate.  But if the failsafe is compromised, and is part of a criminal conspiracy with the executive....the failsafe fails.  We crash into the mountain.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.

That's the achilles heel of our entire system.  The failsafe is the Senate.  But if the failsafe is compromised, and is part of a criminal conspiracy with the executive....the failsafe fails.  We crash into the mountain.

Assuming Doug Jones loses in Alabama, Democrats have to flip five seats to take back the Senate.

I am not optimistic.

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Assuming Doug Jones loses in Alabama, Democrats have to flip five seats to take back the Senate.

I am not optimistic.

AZ

CO

ME

NC

IA

A competent party wins those states. Unfortunately I have very little faith in the DNC. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

At some point, House needs to consider shutting off govt purse if this degree of treachery persists and escalates.  That’s one fairly definitive lever it wields.

Unfortunately, it carries enormous political risk that they are not willing to take.

Edited by David Dennison

36 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Because playing it close to the vest has worked so well the last 20 years...

It gets lost in this extremely overt Republican corruption and chaos but the Dems are in no way clean. They aren't champions of Justice or anything. They're corrupt as well just far more subversive about their dealings. Republicans used to be that way too until trump showed up and proved you can get away with anything as long as you scare the shit out of your own party. 

trump didn't get elected because he was a republican or sided with republicans. He got elected because he publicly attacked republicans and Dems alike. Enough people in enough states were so disgruntled with how broken the political system in America is that they openly chose a visibly corrupt and stupid reality TV show host. And they'll most likely do it again because it pissed everyone off and so far nothing different good or bad has happened to their lazy way of life. 

What they don't realize is the turmoil and negative consequences don't occur right away in a system as big as America. It takes years of neglect but they do show up eventually down the road. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Unfortunately, it carries enormous political risk that they are not willing to take.

Right.  We’re not quite there yet.  What the public is witnessing being perpetrated by everyone in the loop of Trump crimes and coverup helps expand public awareness and understanding of the rationale for why such a step might be justified and necessary.  It’s building.

Never said anything about them being as bad or selling out the oval office. Just they are corrupt as well which is a fact and have contributed to the broken system. Name a Democrat that isn't financially profiting off their public office position? That's corruption. It's a big reason why they never went after trump for massive emoluments violations. 

Republicans have gone full Dr Evil so it would be best to turn over the government to democrats for the foreseeable future but let's not pretend that fixes the problem. It just makes it less worse and slows the decline. The system is far too broken in favor of the people tasked with writing the laws for anything to ever really get fixed. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

It gets lost in this extremely overt Republican corruption and chaos but the Dems are in no way clean. They aren't champions of Justice or anything. They're corrupt as well just far more subversive about their dealings. Republicans used to be that way too until trump showed up and proved you can get away with anything as long as you scare the shit out of your own party. 
trump didn't get elected because he was a republican or sided with republicans. He got elected because he publicly attacked republicans and Dems alike. Enough people in enough states were so disgruntled with how broken the political system in America is that they openly chose a visibly corrupt and stupid reality TV show host. And they'll most likely do it again because it pissed everyone off and so far nothing different good or bad has happened to their lazy way of life. 
What they don't realize is the turmoil and negative consequences don't occur right away in a system as big as America. It takes years of neglect but they do show up eventually down the road. 

Lies lies lies comrade.

5 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Never said anything about them being as bad or selling out the oval office. Just they are corrupt as well which is a fact and have contributed to the broken system. Name a Democrat that isn't financially profiting off their public office position? That's corruption. It's a big reason why they never went after trump for massive emoluments violations. 

Republicans have gone full Dr Evil so it would be best to turn over the government to democrats for the foreseeable future but let's not pretend that fixes the problem. It just makes it less worse and slows the decline. The system is far too broken in favor of the people tasked with writing the laws for anything to ever really get fixed. 

I just won't abide that perspective.  It blurs the lines.  Yes, Democrats in DC have been part of the machine as long as the Republicans, but the latter has taken it to a whole different level, and your original post attempted to diminish that difference.  Nope.  Nope nope nope.

Citizens United sucks.  The loss of the Fairness Doctrine sucks.  Frankly, I'm not sure a lack of term limits sucks.  But a simple walk back to 2015 or 2007 or even 1999 would do us a world of good.  We have seen the enemy and he is us . . . sure.  Now we at least know what we're fighting against.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Nah, that's flat out wrong.  No Democrat has sold the Oval Office to our enemies.  Enough with this #bothsides equivocation.  Trump is evil and is far FAR worse than any of his predecessors, including Reagan and the Bushmen.

seriously this.

if you say one kid stole a nickel and the other stole a dime, then fine.  they're both little thieves, but it's fifteen cents, so what can you really do.

if #bothsides do things you don't agree with, or fail to keep campaign promises, then you say hey, that's politics, it's been going on for centuries.

but that line of thinking gets you into trouble when you have (1) a politician that gives zero fucks (2) a politician that owes everything to a (hostile) foreign nation (3) a politician that is only interested in furthering his own interests and (4) a system too broken to stop a true bully.

he saw the situation, and he took advantage of it.  right now the gop is complicit in the scam, either because they agree with it, or because they're too fucking petrified to do anything about it, because in their world, power is everything, and it'll have to be pulled from them with their teeth marks still on it.

so when does it end?  what happens if he loses the election and sues everyone and refuses to leave?  what happens if he wins the election and decides to run for a third term because of all the investigations?  what happens when he starts having white house reporters arrested?  what happens when he starts leasing out our soldiers?

if you allow what is going on currently, and admit that it's just a matter of degree, then you're negotiating.  and we've already lost.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

seriously this.

if you say one kid stole a nickel and the other stole a dime, then fine.  they're both little thieves, but it's fifteen cents, so what can you really do.

if #bothsides do things you don't agree with, or fail to keep campaign promises, then you say hey, that's politics, it's been going on for centuries.

but that line of thinking gets you into trouble when you have (1) a politician that gives zero fucks (2) a politician that owes everything to a (hostile) foreign nation (3) a politician that is only interested in furthering his own interests and (4) a system too broken to stop a true bully.

he saw the situation, and he took advantage of it.  right now the gop is complicit in the scam, either because they agree with it, or because they're too fucking petrified to do anything about it, because in their world, power is everything, and it'll have to be pulled from them with their teeth marks still on it.

so when does it end?  what happens if he loses the election and sues everyone and refuses to leave?  what happens if he wins the election and decides to run for a third term because of all the investigations?  what happens when he starts having white house reporters arrested?  what happens when he starts leasing out our soldiers?

if you allow what is going on currently, and admit that it's just a matter of degree, then you're negotiating.  and we've already lost.

You make it sound like voters aren't a party to the system and the current situation and they have no ability to correct it

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I read your entire post, and agree with all of it, but I want to focus on this bit.  There is a third option, and it's likely the actual explanation:  they're complicit.  They're in on the take.

Now, does that mean no Democrats have ever been in on the take?  No, of course not.  But the vector from Russian oligarchs to the NRA to Republican politicians is not only well established, it's unique, and there's no way in hell it's the only path towards where we are now.  I mean, ENERGY (oil) is a far bigger pot of gold, and while #bothsides have acted the ass on the world stage in support of that commodity and our nearly unlimited demand for it, I have no reason to believe that there isn't an even darker story at play in that arena, and that it isn't playing out almost exclusively on the "right" side of the aisle.  Prove me wrong, because until that day, I'm just going to remain cynical about Republicans and everything they stand for.

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

You make it sound like voters aren't a party to the system and the current situation and they have no ability to correct it

The two party system definitely hinders the ability to correct it.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

seriously this.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I read your entire post, and agree with all of it, but I want to focus on this bit.  There is a third option, and it's likely the actual explanation:  they're complicit.  They're in on the take.

Now, does that mean no Democrats have ever been in on the take?  No, of course not.  But the vector from Russian oligarchs to the NRA to Republican politicians is not only well established, it's unique, and there's no way in hell it's the only path towards where we are now.  I mean, ENERGY (oil) is a far bigger pot of gold, and while #bothsides have acted the ass on the world stage in support of that commodity and our nearly unlimited demand for it, I have no reason to believe that there isn't an even darker story at play in that arena, and that it isn't playing out almost exclusively on the "right" side of the aisle.  Prove me wrong, because until that day, I'm just going to remain cynical about Republicans and everything they stand for.

I can't give any more of the little 'like' thingys, but I like both of your comments. Fiona Hill was speaking the truth and she was speaking it clearly and assertively and plainly. Why few Americans were listening to her, I cannot understand, but since that position she left is now vacant once more, people better wake the hell up and kick Russia out of the bedroom, the boardroom and the Oval Office cause Trump and the GOP are screwing around or profiting in all of them. Literally, figuratively and I don't want to know what a third one is or could be. Probably whatever Lindsey got himself involved with.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Clarification

4 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

The two party system definitely hinders the ability to correct it.  

Well yes, particularly when one party engages in blatant gerrymandering and other forms of voter suppression, not only allows but encourages and participates in foreign interference in our elections, including illegal campaign funding,  has their own propaganda TV network, and then spreads their ass cheeks in our faces and says "nothing you can do about it".  So yeah you're partially correct.  1/2 of the two party system is hindering the ability to correct it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

#BothSides

Not really my point.  Its just a major problem with good candidates getting either sidelined because they don't support enough party pillars, bend their own values to conform to the party pillars, or they run independent, which is a dead end for major offices.

18 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

yeah, i have a big problems with the voters.  i have a big problem with the voters who use the "both sides" argument to justify the actions of the mob boss in the oval office.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not sure how a rational person could watch Schiff right now and not come away thinking this impeachment is not only appropriate, but necessary. He’s acting like a fucking adult and it’s nice to see that. 

Yea, hes killed it since the beginning of all of this.  The only way you hear all of this and still vote no to witnesses and materials is by breaking the oath you took to start the trial, and the one to the constitution when you swore in to the office.  

• Like 2