The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Rules require Senators to be in their seats for the duration of the trial and 2 hrs in almost half the GOP is not even in the fucking room. What a joke

That's what we were talking about with the cameras not being allowed with the exception of the main camera. During the Inquiry one could see a lot more of the backstory and behind the scenes. It was illuminating. The last thing McConnell wants right now is sunshine on his sham.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

That's what we were talking about with the cameras not being allowed with the exception of the main camera. During the Inquiry one could see a lot more of the backstory and behind the scenes. It was illuminating. The last thing McConnell wants right now is sunshine on his sham.

taking it further he banned cell phones as well, so no one can live stream this either. what fucking cowards

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Rules require Senators to be in their seats for the duration of the trial and 2 hrs in almost half the GOP is not even in the fucking room. What a joke

Is there some way a dem can wait until the math works, then move to vote on conviction, and 2/3 of those present can vote to convict?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

weird that my eye went directly to "an hilarious." wat?

same.  is going around the world correcting grammar a job?  because i think i would be pretty ok at it.

i spend about the same amount of time proofing my wife's work emails as i do working my actual job as it is.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

same.  is going around the world correcting grammar a job?  because i think i would be pretty ok at it.

i spend about the same amount of time proofing my wife's work emails as i do working my actual job as it is.

My hero

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-39459831/meet-the-grammar-vigilante-of-bristol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I wanted a pair of those so bad as a kid, all I could see was the promise, not the grammar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

so you proved that my skepticism of that usage being correct, was, well, correct?

To be completely pedantic (as is my nature), not quite.

Merriam-Webster's guidance is very wishy-washy--go by how it sounds.  Other authorities suggest that "an" is appropriate before "h" whenever the first syllable is not emphasized, and some suggest it's basically just a matter of choice.

That said, the use of "an" is becoming archaic and probably disappear altogether sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Merriam-Webster's guidance is very wishy-washy--go by how it sounds.  Other authorities suggest that "an" is appropriate before "h" whenever the first syllable is not emphasized, and some suggest it's basically just a matter of choice.

That said, the use of "an" is becoming archaic and probably disappear altogether sooner rather than later. 

there are two terms that exist that describe ways of using grammar.  one is by-the-book traditionalist type, and the other is more of an adapt-by-the-way-it-works-in-daily-life type.  the second type also accounts for the general evolution of the way language is used (more of a "spirit of the law" type).

and it's driving me crazy that i cannot think of the two terms.

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I've been aware of the use of "an" before historical and have tended to always use it, thinking it was an obscure exception that was somehow grammatically better (I've never heard/read the explanation). But at the end of that article, I saw that "an" was also sometimes used before hotel and realized I've always said it without realizing it.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there are two terms that exist that describe ways of using grammar.  one is by-the-book traditionalist type, and the other is more of an adapt-by-the-way-it-works-in-daily-life type.  the second type also accounts for the general evolution of the way language is used (more of a "spirit of the law" type).

and it's driving me crazy that i cannot think of the two terms.

Google says 'traditional' vs 'functional'. Does that sound correct?

*Wait, wait hold up, also see something about 'descriptive' vs 'prescriptive.'

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Addition
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Google says 'traditional' vs 'functional'. Does that sound correct?

no, it's something weird.

i'm starting to think what i'm referring to is "prescriptivist" vs "descriptivist".

which are two words so commonly used that surly thinks they're misspelled.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

This thread is about as much of a joke as this impeachment. 

the trial is rotting my brain.  i have to stay sharp.

last night i was still watching at 11:45pm (pac time) and we had an earthquake.  the wife woke up and looked at the tv and was like, "really?  still?"  to which i replied, "we had an earthquake."

• Like 2

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it's amazing to me that the entire R side of the Senate appears to be compromised. That's alarming.

Once you get in ankle-deep in a criminal conspiracy....you're in all the way.  It's why you shouldn't get in one in the first place.

The GOP is firmly in the "we better all hang together, or else we'll surely hang separately" territory.  They really have no other rational choice.  They have to be all-in on the criminal syndicate, because if they don't, they lose its protection.  This is exactly how every criminal organization functions.  Anyone who has spent more than a millisecond in organized crime investigation/prosecution recognizes all of the markers from how the party is conducting itself these days.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Pronouncing the "h" separately is a decidedly modern trend.  Historically, the "h" at the beginning of a word was silent or nearly so, and the next letter was inevitably a vowel. Lots of those words come from French, where the h remains silent. Hence, "an."  Brits still deemphasize the initial h, at least the educated ones.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pronouncing the "h" separately is a decidedly modern trend.  Historically, the "h" at the beginning of a word was silent or nearly so, and the next letter was inevitably a vowel.  Hence, "an."  Brits still deemphasize the initial h, at least the educated ones.

funny, because they "sound" the opposite when I hear it