The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

just read this wapo article, which is confusing and only mildly illuminating.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/19/more-voters-are-registering-than-dying-but-differences-by-state-could-shape/

but, it includes this figure, which is useful.  black circle is number of deaths (ed -- scaled to the number of new registrants), pie chart is new registrations with party preference (usually, registering as a democrat or republican, but some states don't do that so they have other proxies).

SLG3AGVVQFDFPPAOCJHY4ZQK7I.jpg&w=1440

everyone in montana, north carolina, connecticut, and mississippi has died, and no one has registered in indiana, ohio, mississippi, and georgia.  florida is playing pokemon.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/19/more-voters-are-registering-than-dying-but-differences-by-state-could-shape/

but, it includes this figure, which is useful.  black circle is number of deaths (ed -- scaled to the number of new registrants), pie chart is new registrations with party preference (usually, registering as a democrat or republican, but some states don't do that so they have other proxies).

Jesus Christ, Mississippi. If I'm reading that right, they aren't even registering new voters at the rate of replacement. Just let one of the surrounding states annex them. 

• Like 1

Junior Miller asked to name one Democrat who hasn't profited off the office, and I would offer Jimmy Carter.  And any profit he might have made would have been unintended.  I would daresay any of that profit was plowed back in Habitat for Humanity or other charitable causes he supports.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:51 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

People keep talking to her and asking her questions. She's like that neighbor that you make small talk with that cannot pick up on the cues one sends that say, 'this conversation is over, I have things to do today.' Because they keep engaging her, she responds. She appears in good health and with energy, taking that volubility to a senior center or Meals on Wheels program and providing comfort and conversation to others would help transition her out of the public sphere. I really wish she would do that. It's time, really it is. Stay active, stay engaged on a local level with good works as other former politicos do, but stop answering the questions.

Good point. 

On 1/22/2020 at 11:32 AM, washparkhorn said:

Odd how Yang doesn't register with white voters  as much as non-white.

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Where are they getting the $100 mil? Anyone with big money in this country is happy with trump because he follows the Moscow Mitch plan of removing several trillion in tax obligations from them for no reason. The govt is bought and paid for and the public is too stupid to see what's happening. 

While Trump is out fundraising any single Democratic candidate, collectively they are out raising him threefold.   I imagine if the DNC wanted some or all that $100 mil, they'd get it.   It would be ironic if dark money sank those who invented it.

16 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

It would be ironic if dark money sank those who invented it.

That's the only thing that will end the practice.  You'd think the notion that our legislative motives being for sale would be enough to scare the shit out of everyone, but this place isn't for thinking anymore.

It's been a busy day at work so I haven't been able to follow, but since our president only tweets truth, I'm guessing the Democratic impeachment managers must have drastically changed their presentation today. Shocking that after all this time they just concede. 

44 minutes ago, Chooky said:

That's the only thing that will end the practice.  You'd think the notion that our legislative motives being for sale would be enough to scare the shit out of everyone, but this place isn't for thinking anymore.

hah--I can't wait to see how f'ked the Census gets this next go around. 

49 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Just outstanding.  Nadler rubs Lindsey Graham's nose in some younger Lindsey Graham and spanks him with a newspaper.

Sadly, I read that Lindsey was out of the room when that was presented by Nadler. If I relocate where I read that I will put it in this thread.

On another note, I wonder if word got out to Fox about muting the trial for part of the day- I was scrolling channels and they had it on full screen. Only other channel showing it was CSpan so Mitch knew what he was doing.

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Can someday smarter than me explain what the gray area is. For example, why does GA have so much gray area? I thought Abrams was registering everybody and they mama, so why is the sliver of blue so small.

edit: nvm got the article to finally bypass the paywall.

Edited by Bruh Man

9 hours ago, horn4life said:

So another day of Republican Senators pretending to listen, obvious facts presented and dismissed as meaningless because of a singular reason, an (R) behind the name.  I guess the only thing I can take heart in is that if the shoe was on the other foot the Dems would break the ice and defect in support of honesty and fairness. The big question for 2020 is going to be do young people and non-whites show up to the polls?  Will the uneducated whites keep have a huge turnout in support of Trump and shore up underwater Senatorial polling? A landslide in November, is becoming a distinct possibility, and the reason is the clear unfairness and rigged nature of the Senate trial. 

Here is a Pew Research snapshot of where things stand right now. https://www.people-press.org/2020/01/22/by-a-narrow-margin-americans-say-senate-trial-should-result-in-trumps-removal/  When the GOP votes straight down party lines to prevent a single piece of subpoenaed information from being allowed to be presented in a "trail?" Corruption will be what the image of the GOP will become to the majority of the country.

spacer.png

White educated women are gone for the GOP this cycle. That's not gonna change, just differ by how strong a tilt to the Dems. But the key is that right now people under 30 believe by a 63% -35% that Donald Trump should be removed from office.  WITHOUT any witnesses or facts presented voluntarily by the white house. These are the widest numbers by a large, large margin demographically against Trump and these are the voters of the future. When the GOP closes ranks and protects Trump from a fair trial these numbers will permanently transfer to the GOP.  These numbers are BEFORE the "trial" actually began.

Trump was NEVER going to be removed from office. What is happening now is that the Republican Party is cementing the view in the minds of educated and young voters in particular that they are corrupt.  Purely and completely corrupt.  Now this is not to say that a solid 41-43 percent of all voters think the GOP should prevent even a single scrap of paper be presented by the Trump administration in this "trial."  It's easy to see the corruption if you don't purposefully blind yourself.  I believe that a majority of Americans still have a sense of need for fairness.  I also have always felt that if the DEMs framed the trail as a fight for fairness and search for truth it would be a hard narrative to counter for the GOP.  One more day we are going to see a simply plea to find the truth.  In two days the argument will be, Trump should not be required to do anything but what he wants to do. The GOP will stand firmly behind this assertion and Moscow Mitch will have presided over a perfect Soviet style "trial."  Of course facts will trickle out over the Summer and Fall showing the clear fraud, and Trump's guilt will only become more, not less apparent.

And 2020 will be a wipeout. As the tilt from the educated whites, the young, and the non-white will surge a few percent.  And that solid Trump 43% will see it coming in the Fall and Republican enthusiasm will wane.  More importantly the young people of our Nation will view themselves for years as anything but Republican.

Man, I hope you are right.  The thing that keeps niggling at me, though.  The splinter agitating my brain...

The information you presented is all available to the GOP.  They absolutely know the data you presented and more.  With those numbers, the GOP knows they are willfully committing suicide.  Not just for 2020, but for a decade or more.  But not a one of them seems the least bit concerned.

That only makes sense if those numbers regarding public sentiment don't fucking matter.  If the influencing that was solicited and provided in 2016 has been iterated and improved upon to make popular sentiment irrelevant.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That only makes sense if those numbers regarding public sentiment don't fucking matter.  If the influencing that was solicited and provided in 2016 has been iterated and improved upon to make popular sentiment irrelevant.

This.  My other theory is that they would rather be voted out than exposed for their illegal funding via the NRA from Russia (and god knows what other foreign entities).  If that angle is not investigated when/if a Dem president comes to power, I will lose my damn mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I like that chart.  A lot of existing red states get redder and existing blue states get bluer.  The interesting ones that the chart makes seem like they could flip:

* Montana
* North Dakota
* Dare I say... Texas?
* Missouri
* Wisconsin
* Michigan, oh my!
* North Carolina
* Pensylvannia
* South Carolina

• Like 1

i'm sure it's overkill at this point, and probably not typical in the legal/trial sense, but at any point, are the dems going to mention the "pattern of behavior" as part of his motive, or the overall "believability" of the story they're so carefully laying out?

i mean, there was a 500 page report that deemed the 2016 election had been interfered with in sweeping and systematic fashion, and most of trump's campaign team is currently behind bars.  he stood on stage and asked russia to hack hillary's emails.  he's shown us the one play in his playbook.

i know everyone knows, and i know it doesn't matter, but shouldn't it be said at least a few times for the senate record, that hey, he's already done once what he's being accused of doing now?  it's the only other time he's run for office.  is anyone picking up a pattern here?

oh well.  zoe crushed it tonight.  

• Like 5

In a real or regular trial, referring to bad acts other than those the subject of the indictment is pretty much verboten.

This, of course, is not a real trial, but I suppose it might be considered dirty pool to bring in other bad acts not the subject of the articles.

The R's are playing nothing but dirty pool, so I say let it fly.  But there would be excessive harrumphing and more nicknames.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

In a real or regular trial, referring to bad acts other than those the subject of the indictment is pretty much verboten.

This, of course, is not a real trial, but I suppose it might be considered dirty pool to bring in other bad acts not the subject of the articles.

The R's are playing nothing but dirty pool, so I say let it fly.  But there would be excessive harrumphing and more nicknames.

yeah, that was kinda what i meant with my intro sentence, but wasn't sure the proper way to put it.

Right, I don't get the strategy of strict focus or perhaps congressional "decorum" at this point.

The D's fully fucked up by seeming to give into the narrative that they "lost" on the Mueller report. It would be easy to hammer the point that Mueller found Trump & Co. welcomed Russia's help in the election. And that Mueller documented TEN instances of obstruction, which he concluded might have affected investigators' ability to find they illegally conspired. 

And that Trump takes the bullshit victory lap from Barr's mischaracterized report by continuing the pattern of ....... welcoming foreign intervention in his election.

Fuck it's not complicated.

• Like 2

The only reason that R's do nothing to go against Trump is they are scared of his base (and the electorate for them).  They also only think short term.  There is no such thing as a chess match.  They play Stratego and put the bombs on the front line.  Fuck whatever happens after that.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Jesus Christ, Mississippi. If I'm reading that right, they aren't even registering new voters at the rate of replacement. Just let one of the surrounding states annex them. 

Louisiana and Alabama will both go to war to make the other state annex it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yes, they were.   If only every American voter were listening.  

Fox News right now has a Republican Rep "discrediting" the entire thing.  He's saying there are no underlying facts and that's why they want witnesses.  Christ, man.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Fox News right now has a Republican Rep "discrediting" the entire thing.  He's saying there are no underlying facts and that's why they want witnesses.  Christ, man.

It’s a “who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes”. Unfortunately, half the country hears that and decides it must be my lying eyes.  

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Man, I hope you are right.  The thing that keeps niggling at me, though.  The splinter agitating my brain...

The information you presented is all available to the GOP.  They absolutely know the data you presented and more.  With those numbers, the GOP knows they are willfully committing suicide.  Not just for 2020, but for a decade or more.  But not a one of them seems the least bit concerned.

i want to highlight this great post.

i think republicans are all in on this shit, but they are thinking tactically rather than strategically. 

they want to win this battle rather than win the war. they are old, they are crooks and they want to win today because tomorrow doesn't matter because they will be dead. there is no long game because they got theirs. there is no desire to try and win over the country. there is only today. but they do not care about tomorrow. look at them. old white dudes. yesterday is so much more important to them than tomorrow. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i think republicans are all in on this shit, but they are thinking tactically rather than strategically. 

they want to win this battle rather than win the war. they are old, they are crooks and they want to win today because tomorrow doesn't matter because they will be dead. there is no long game because they got theirs. there is no desire to try and win over the country. there is only today. but they do not care about tomorrow. look at them. old white dudes. yesterday is so much more important to them than tomorrow. 

Every sentence Susan Collins speaks sounds like her last.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Nah, they are trying to win the war. It comes through disenfranchisement and election rigging. And it will work. They've long been testing the limits of what is possible. It turns out the sky is the limit. 

They could rig swing state votes, get caught doing it, and Trump will still be sworn in while the GOP in the Senate feign ignorance and Dems do little more than write sternly worded letters. They could jail Dems after that. Still the populace would do nothing.  Well, maybe there would be a peaceful march or something.  Really, they could even declare martial law and start rounding up people tomorrow. Nothing.  The threshold for reaction has been strategically pushed back. There is no fight in the American dog anymore. 

And there are plenty of younger shitbags ready to take over. There's at least 100 Gaetz' in every town in America. Ready to run unopposed. 

I do hope you're right, but I see a different picture. America is going to go out with a whimper.  

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1