The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

dude, trump swung the door wide open on being able to do whatever the fuck you want as President. This is no longer a democracy we are officially an Oligarchy 

Dildo Barr has been pushing this narrative since the late 80’s, and saying the constitution supports this theory.  He was amazingly quiet about it during the Clinton and Obama years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The weather has been perfect for the lanai this week, but given that I'm in agreement with you @deech and @tx 3 putt and @horn4life (and most especially for the early warning @Brisketexan)I am moving back to the ledge. The weather on the ledge should be wind and rain and sleet with the temperature hovering at just that point where you are so miserably damp and cold that you wish it would just freeze and turn to snow even though you know you'll die of hypothermia before that happens. The death of the Republic isn't going to be a white hot flame of war between parties, it's going to be the silent and cold shuddering of a last breath.

Hyperbole, perhaps, but it sure feels real.

It’s well down that road and this shit sucks 

dems need to get out the vote. They outnumber the other side 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

It's a cloudy 55 degree day in D.C. Nobody on the left thought it was a good idea to take a break from tweeting and organize a march today?

I'm expecting my strongly-worded internet posts to start changing the tide any moment. Don't make me use my thoughts and prayers; they're devastating.

• Haha 2

Lankford reminds me of Hamilton Swan in "Best in Show", only difference though is I love Hamilton Swan's character and I want to beat Lankford with an OU football helmet.

56 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It's irrelevant because the defense gave out some of these leaves.

41Snl1wySRL._SX425_.jpg

I will not allow my leaf to be disturbed by false presumptions which are proven false by this fig leaf.

It's a magic fig leaf that relieves the possessor of conscience and whatever integrity was present.

But, senator, the tape indicates that the president was-

Fig leaf! Fig leaf! Fig leaf!

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s well down that road and this shit sucks 

dems need to get out the vote. They outnumber the other side 

This is true and hopefully a ton will but the unbalanced electoral college is hard to overcome. Little redneck havens of low education morons who were too stupid and/or lazy to leave when work dried up in places like the Dakota's/Nebraska/Indiana/etc should have only a single electoral college vote at this point. 

• Like 1

I managed to watch about 5 minutes of Fox News at the gym this morning right after the Presidents lawyers finished up for the day.  Neil Cavuto said we will now hear from a key “swing” senator on the Republican side who may decide if we get witnesses, Lindsey Graham.  They then went on to talk with a Dem Senator and Neil Cavuto asked if they were OK with all of the lies Adam Schiff had told the American people.  That was all I could take.  Until we fix Fox News none of this will change.  They enable the low intelligence inbred dumb asses in this country.

• Like 7

This whole angle that Ukraine didn't know about the hold until the end of August is bullshit.  I distinctly recall Fiona Hill testifying that they received email communication from Ukrainian officials on July 25, the day of the "perfect" call, asking about the hold.  I realize there is no means by which the Democrats can get this into the record during these proceedings, but the fucking media could do its job.

Ah well.  Nevertheless.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

i know it took 24 hours (8 per day) to lay out the entire case, the timeline, the details, etc.  and it was awesome.  but to me it comes down to this:

a. it's illegal for the president to ask a foreign country to investigate a political rival (or his family)

b. it's illegal for the president to unilaterally hold up congressionally-approved aid

c. it's illegal to tie them together in a condition-based arrangement.

we know for a fact he did the first two.  those are completely undisputed by everyone.  that's already abuse of power.  everything he's done to fuck with the investigation is already obstruction.  he's already guilty of both of the articles.  but do these violations warrant removal?  maybe yes, maybe no. (maybe fuck yourself).

it's the third one that brings it home.  the third one turns this into bribery (wh meeting) or extortion (the aid) which makes this impeachable/removable.  all the rest of this is smoke-filled coffee-house crap.  this is the cheat sheet.  these are the repeatable facts in a short and concise format.  and it can be argued inside of a minute.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i know it took 24 hours (8 per day) to lay out the entire case, the timeline, the details, etc.  and it was awesome.  but to me it comes down to this:

a. it's illegal for the president to ask a foreign country to investigate a political rival (or his family)

b. it's illegal for the president to unilaterally hold up congressionally-approved aid

c. it's illegal to tie them together in a condition-based arrangement.

we know for a fact he did the first two.  those are completely undisputed by everyone.  that's already abuse of power.  everything he's done to fuck with the investigation is already obstruction.  he's already guilty of both of the articles.  but do these violations warrant removal?  maybe yes, maybe no. (maybe fuck yourself).

it's the third one that brings it home.  the third one turns this into bribery (wh meeting) or extortion (the aid) which makes this impeachable/removable.  all the rest of this is smoke-filled coffee-house crap.  this is the cheat sheet.  these are the repeatable facts in a short and concise format.  and it can be argued inside of a minute.

I'm interested in the legality of doing all of the above via a personal lawyer and his associates versus utilizing official channels and procedures. That's gotta be a thing too, right? 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, heso said:

There are only 11 states that are registering more Republicans than Democrats. 

TN, OK, UT, AR, KS, NE, ID, WV, SD, AK, WY

Population rank:

16, 28, 30, 34, 36, 38, 39, 40, 47, 49, 50

Other than Tennessee, low population states with low growth, in some cases negative growth. 

And in the case of Texas and South Carolina you have Dems being registered at a better than 2:1 rate. 

From the last election there isn’t a single blue state that is increasing its Reputation ratio but at least 10 red states that are increasingly dem. And almost all 10 of those (MT, ND) are in the top 1/3 for population.

collectively, those 10 states represent 154 EC votes.

I am too lazy to do it, but of the states that are registering blues at a high rate, how many have a GOP senator up for re-election in 2020?

3 hours ago, immamac said:

dude, trump swung the door wide open on being able to do whatever the fuck you want as President. This is no longer a democracy we are officially an Oligarchy.

Unless the next President-Elect significantly diminishes the power in the executive office or appropriately amends the constitution to close these bogus ass executive privileges we are no longer living in a democracy. The majority of people don't even elect our presidents anymore due to the electoral system and the Senate doesn't represent their constituents interests - it's become an us vs them and nothing about that benefits public policy at a regional or national level - the only people benefiting are the ones signing the checks. That's how you get to a state of Oligarchy.

Agree totally.  I would love to see "restoring the balance of power between the branches of government" be a key point on the Dem challenger's platform and for them to hammer away at the need in the debates.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

I had to watch a few minutes of White House layer Michael Purpura I think they are shitting the bed at this very moment.  A montage of "presumtions" from video and the insistence that none of the people spoke to the President.  NOT A SINGLE WITNESS TALKED DIRECTLY TO THE PRESIDENT!

Gee.... maybe they should search for the truth by talking to the people who talked to the President.  I know that it's hard to defend a guilty person, but lots of lawyers do it all the time.  But in a real "trial" the prosecution is actually allowed to call the witnesses that DID talk to the President.  So I am very, very confused on why the attack on the current testimony is mostly on the basis of lack of direct contact to the President?  Why insist the record is incomplete? 

I think the average person would like to hear from some of those that could clearly and unequivocally exonerate? Sounds almost reasonable to look for the truth via people who actually did talk to the President. 

I'd like to hear from the accused himself. Make the President testify under oath. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

11 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Nsiap 

It is especially rich given the sheer level of unnecessary vitriol directed at the house members by the Republicans. Schiff references an actual news report, whose factual basis is supported by the actions and threats of others, made publicly like Rand Paul.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Agree totally.  I would love to see "restoring the balance of power between the branches of government" be a key point on the Dem challenger's platform and for them to hammer away at the need in the debates.

how about if bernie or biden just promises that his first act as president is to have china, russia, egypt, and israel investigate jared kushner?

• Like 1

I'm not sure I could point to Ukraine on an unlabeled map, but I could point to Bangladesh, mostly because I have some knowledge of the Pakistan/India/Bangladesh split.

What I could definitely state is that Ukraine is north and west of Bangladesh, BECAUSE I HAVE A PRETTY SOLID IDEA OF WHERE EUROPE IS.

Jesus.

56 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I am too lazy to do it, but of the states that are registering blues at a high rate, how many have a GOP senator up for re-election in 2020?

4 toss ups: mcsally - AZ, Gardner - CO, Collins - ME, Tillis - NC. Most of those states are bluing slowly, Maine the fastest. 

The two states that are registering dems the fastest that have GOP senators up for re-election are Texas and South Carolina. But they are both safe. Cornyn in Texas slightly less so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

See, that’s part of the innate problem. I firmly believe there’s a large (not a majority) part of the population that has authoritarian tendencies. At the heart of it, they don’t believe in a balance of powers deep down. They simply want a “strong leader.” They’re authoritarians by nature or upbringing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure I could point to Ukraine on an unlabeled map, but I could point to Bangladesh, mostly because I have some knowledge of the Pakistan/India/Bangladesh split.

What I could definitely state is that Ukraine is north and west of Bangladesh, BECAUSE I HAVE A PRETTY SOLID IDEA OF WHERE EUROPE IS.

Jesus.

You can find the Black Sea, right? Just point to the blob shaped country on its northern shores. If you also understand that Russia gets REAL cold in the winter and the sea freezes , then you can also understand why the dangling part of that blob (Crimea) is so important to Russia.

58 minutes ago, pacman said:

It is especially rich given the sheer level of unnecessary vitriol directed at the house members by the Republicans. Schiff references an actual news report, whose factual basis is supported by the actions and threats of others, made publicly like Rand Paul.

Hypocrisy is a feature, not a bug.

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus.

the black sea is your friend 

Just now, bolverk said:

You can find the Black Sea, right? Just point to the blob shaped country on its northern shores. If you also understand that Russia gets REAL cold in the winter and the sea freezes , then you can also understand why the dangling part of that blob (Crimea) is so important to Russia.

I'm well aware of all of that -- my point was that the ability to point to Ukraine specifically on a map is fairly distinct from the idea that one might confuse it with Bangladesh.

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

See, that’s part of the innate problem. I firmly believe there’s a large (not a majority) part of the population that has authoritarian tendencies. At the heart of it, they don’t believe in a balance of powers deep down. They simply want a “strong leader.” They’re authoritarians by nature or upbringing.

Ignorant people worldwide like strongmen.  Thinking hurts.  Also, voting is a pain in the ass.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

I just looked at an unlabeled map, i had already read the line about the Black Sea. I think if I had not read that I might have pointed to Belarus. 

Although if I had taken a minute to think about the fact that Crimea was on the water I would have picked correctly. 

Edited by heso

For Senate GOP, the worst thing about the timing of these new smoking gun tapes is that right now they are still in a position to do something in this phase of impeachment.  They can't say later "if I'd only known then what I know now" or some BS (as if its not open and shut already).  And as evidence and revelations continue to  flow forth in coming weeks and months, their complicit, derelict, and reprobate conduct will be exposed all the worse.

25 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

For Senate GOP, the worst thing about the timing of these new smoking gun tapes is that right now they are still in a position to do something in this phase of impeachment.  They can't say later "if I'd only known then what I know now" or some BS (as if its not open and shut already).  And as evidence and revelations continue to  flow forth in coming weeks and months, their complicit, derelict, and reprobate conduct will be exposed all the worse.

I'd never heard of this guy before today, but after googling him, I see read the following:

After graduating, he moved to Edmond, a suburb of Oklahoma City, where he still lives today. He served with the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma. He became the program director of Falls Creek, the largest Christian camp in the U.S.

He was a Baptist Christian camp "program director." That and the dyed hair tells me he's also likely a kiddy diddler.

Edited by bolverk