The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

haha, this is awesome. the bolton news took the wind out of their indignant sails. they were going to grandstand, and now realize that they cannot.

I'm expecting something along the lines of "When did Bolton call this a drug deal, why did the House never bring this up? This is the first I have heard of this."

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

that's where you're wrong, kiddo.

it's clear that they do not want to or cannot face questions about the bolton revelation. i'm hoping this is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg here, and we start seeing things fall apart like they did for nixon

Edited by hayden_horn

13 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Oh, see, it has "prompted conversations!"  That's serious stuff!

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

strongly worded letter, there, Senator. You fucking coward

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

She's the worst

But these.  She's the fucking worst.  Hell, I have more respect for the coward who just says "nope, I'm not getting on that landing craft to hit Normandy" than I do the fucker who lands, but just hides behind some cover and refuses to do anything to help his fellow soldiers who are being slaughtered.

I'd call her a piece of shit, but shit actually fulfills an important biological function.

• Like 2

Well alright then... 

"A Democratic group on Monday began an ad campaign taking aim at five Republican senators for “rigging the impeachment trial” and violating their oaths of office by voting against subpoenas for new evidence.

The 30-second spots target Sens. Martha McSally of Arizona, Cory Gardner of Colorado, Susan Collins of Maine, Joni Ernst of Iowa and Thom Tillis of North Carolina, and will run on television platforms such as Hulu in each lawmaker’s state. Majority Forward, which has ties to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), said in a news release it will spend more than $1 million on the campaign."

• Like 1

Remember when Fox News was explaining that Nancy Pelosi's holding back of the Articles of Impeachment was hurting with the Public?

Could her timing have been any better?  No no matter what the GOP is fucked.  This is exactly why your Grandmother told you, "If you lie down with dogs you'll pick up fleas." 

The rock and the hard place are where you end up when you discard all your since of principle.  When you discard all your sense of honesty. When you decide it's better to try to convince voters that lies are true rather than ever seek the truth. When you willingly and wantonly personally want to believe lies rather than the truth. When you do all these things in combination, and you support the corrupt man who is corrupting the very foundational principles of our country, you have betrayed both your oath of office and your honor is non-recoverable.

This is the position the President has placed the GOP Senate in.  There is no good option now, and more and more Senators are realizing their folly is going to place them exactly between the rock and the hard place.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

rumor i heard over the weekend is that if/when witnesses are voted on, it won’t be 51-49 for witnesses. if the vote is to call witnesses, expect 6-8 gop senators to jump on the yes train to give cover to the others in flip states. 

mcconnell doesn’t want anyone to be the “51st” vote. he knows what he’s doing. 

and this was before the bolton news. 

These stupid chucklefucks don't deserve to be a Senator.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/26/braun-trump-impeachment-learn-105262

Republican Sen. Mike Braun on Sunday said he hopes the impeachment process will “be instructive” for President Donald Trump’s conduct if he’s acquitted by the Senate.

In an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Braun was grilled by host Chuck Todd on how Trump will react to beating articles of impeachment, which is seen as a near certainty in a Republican-controlled Senate.

"This president, as you know, he's going to take acquittal and think, 'I can keep doing this,'" Todd said.

"No, I don't think that," Braun replied. "Hopefully it'll be instructive."

"I think he'll put two and two together," the Indiana Republican added. "In this case, he was taken to the carpet."

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

As a Democrat, I'm cool with this. Everyone means Rick Perry, Mulvaney, Pompeo, etc.  In fact I think they should openly invite Trump and Pence.

If Joe Biden did anything wrong in regards to his son getting paid by an Ukrainian company, it's ok if joe goes down as well. However I don't think Hunter Biden getting paid for bs work automatically implicates Joe.

Schumer should work out this deal today.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Seems like she's fishing for reactions, like maybe she'd like to do the right thing, if it wouldn't cost her too much personally.  That's as close to integrity as we're likely to get from the GOP these days.

Or...  her vote will be whatever Mitch tells her it will be, and this is a desperate attempt to make it look like she gave the matter honest consideration.

I'd bet my dog on the latter.

lulz, when i click on collins' twitter account, i get the following "you might likes"

You might like
Sen. Lisa Murkowski
@lisamurkowski
Jeff Flake
@JeffFlake
ChuckGrassley
@ChuckGrassley

yup, about right. 

and her tweet is not yet totally ratioed, but she's got about an equal number of likes to replies. and the replies....they are mostly unkind.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm still expecting the Senate majority to point to the process, and state that the trial is not the place for new evidence to be introduced. "It's not our fault, it's the House Democrats. sorry."

Either way they’re screwed because it won’t stop the truth from coming out.  Right now it’s about Senate GOP trying to skirt Bolton and other witnesses without being exposed for perping a broad coverup - now OR later that every Joe can see.  That’s the calculus.  

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As a Democrat, I'm cool with this. Everyone means Rick Perry, Mulvaney, Pompeo, etc.  In fact I think they should openly invite Trump and Pence.

If Joe Biden did anything wrong in regards to his son getting paid by an Ukrainian company, it's ok if joe goes down as well. However I don't think Hunter Biden getting paid for bs work automatically implicates Joe.

Schumer should work out this deal today.

They can investigate Biden in a seperate case, nothing has ever stoppen them from doing so. Hell, it would be nice if they started to look into all corruption on Boards in the US. Of course, they would never upset their donors and their own relatives.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Either way they’re screwed because it won’t stop the truth from coming out.  Right now it’s about Senate GOP trying to skirt Bolton and other witnesses without being exposed for perping a broad coverup - now OR later that every Joe can see.  That’s the calculus.  

What a dilemma.  I don't envy or pity them, because they have chose this.  

Defend/protect the President at all costs, including their own personal reputations.

Do the right thing, and risk having the President and his legion of followers in the media and elsewhere threaten to kill them electorally (or other ways).

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

I wouldn't count on Bolton to do the right thing.  He's had many chances to do so in his life.

I wouldn't trust Bolton any farther than I could throw his mustache into a stiff breeze.

When it comes to this admin, there are only two types of people: shitty and shittier.  Still no way to decide which group Bolton falls in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I wouldn't trust Bolton any farther than I could throw his mustache into a stiff breeze.

When it comes to this admin, there are only two types of people: shitty and shittier.  Still no way to decide which group Bolton falls in.

[Republicans]Bolton is too much like President Trump. He can't be trusted. Wait.[/Republicans]

i think it's weird he hasn't come forward before, and only know enough to infer it was because he wants his book payday, but i'm optimistic.  he was embarrassed by trump in something he holds himself in high regard about.  i bet he has no love for the admin.

his reason for not coming forward could be as simple as a non-disclosure agreement with his publisher he signed, who has the same profit motive.  execute that before impeachment comes around and it doesn't feel that fishy.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Considering he held back the truth for book sales, I'm not sure I like our odds. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I actually think Bolton is an honest man.  That's what worries me.  He may believe that there is a deeper honesty (to the country, to the Constitution, to posterity, whatever) in undermining the Democrats.

It's like Jack Sparrow said: "a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly stupid.”

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

am i the only one who's totally fine if they want to call hunter biden?  what are they gonna ask him, about how he got the spot on the board and call him unqualified?

no one is worried in the 'worried' sense.  it is the theatrics of it, imo.

tell me the difference between stupid and illegal and i'll have my wife's brother arrested /thebigshort

1) you just did he's not confessing he's bragging.

2) I never really understood that line.  I sort of thought it was just gosling's character being a fast talker even though it doesn't really make sense.  

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

am i the only one who's totally fine if they want to call hunter biden?  what are they gonna ask him, about how he got the spot on the board and call him unqualified?

tell me the difference between stupid and illegal and i'll have my wife's brother arrested /thebigshort

It's fine if they want to call a witness that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue here, which is the President's conduct.

They might as well call Hillary too.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Would it be that hard for any of the media to pull the board of directors of the Fortune Top 20 companies and see who on each board is an expert in that field and what they are paid?  Pretty sure not everyone on the board of Exxon is a O&G person or UHCs board are experts on insurance, etc....plus they are probably paid more than 50K a month.  Not saying Hunter Biden is clean but this is complaining someone got a job because of their family name Or help from their parents which means we would have to go after most of the upper class in this country.

If they go there on Hunter, the Dems should call Ivanka and Jared to testify to their qualifications for the positions they hold in the WH.

Also, what's the fixation with the whistleblower?  It's like the defense attorney demanding an anonymous tipster testify despite the caller's info proving to be true..."Yes you have my client on video murdering that woman, and you found his DNA all over the crime scene, but how can we have a fair trial without knowing the tipster's motivations?"

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 2

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

no one is worried in the 'worried' sense.  it is the theatrics of it, imo.

i think the theatrics actually help the dems.  points out what a circus the whole thing is, as the gop contorts their argument to try to fit their narrative as they search for relevance.

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

1) you just did he's not confessing he's bragging.

i will never be done quoting movies on longhorn message boards.  #cantstopwontstop

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

2) I never really understood that line.  I sort of thought it was just gosling's character being a fast talker even though it doesn't really make sense.  

i think he worded it a little funny, but the spirit of the line is more "my wife's brother is an idiot, which isn't illegal.  but if you can prove the stupid shit he does is actually illegal, then i'm happy to call the cops and point it out to them."

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If they go there on Hunter, the Dems should call Ivanka and Jared to testify to their qualifications for the positions they hold in the WH.

Also, what's the fixation with the whistleblower?  It's like the court demanding an anonymous tipster testify despite the caller's info proving to be true..."Yes you have my client on video murdering that woman, and you found his DNA all over the crime scene, but how can we have a fair trial without knowing the tipster's motivations?"

Witness intimidation.  

• Like 5