The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

What the Republican revealed today is that -- regardless of Mueller's findings -- they would've exonerated him. What we had there was Trump and his campaign soliciting assistance from a foreign country to help himself getting elected. The same happened here, and a couple of Republicans might publicly tut tut that behavior, but in the end it's the "winning" that truly matters for The Party.

They didn't even pretend to try to fully investigate the matter.

I'm not going to make any predictions about whether this will become commonplace in the future, but they have made it abundantly clear that direct foreign interference in our domestic elections is now game and I fully expect that we'll see it increase in the coming election.

Congratulations, Republicans, you've exposed yourselves as being for sale to the highest foreign bidder, regardless of the national interest. Your kimono is open, and you're now the Geisha Orgy Party.

Suck it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If they had done that, you would have criticized them for dragging the process out in an election year you disingenuous fuck.

Not to worry. He’ll be along soon now to let you know he supports Donald’s impeachment, until next November when he votes for him again anyway then lies about it for another 4 years. 

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

What the Republican revealed today is that -- regardless of Mueller's findings -- they would've exonerated him. What we had there was Trump and his campaign soliciting assistance from a foreign country to help himself getting elected. The same happened here, and a couple of Republicans might publicly tut tut that behavior, but in the end it's the "winning" that truly matters for The Party.

I'm not going to make any predictions about whether this will become commonplace in the future, but they have made it abundantly clear that direct foreign interference in our domestic elections is now game and I fully expect that we'll see it increase in the coming election.

Congratulations, Republicans, you've exposed yourselves as being for sale to the highest foreign bidder, regardless of the national interest. Your kimono is open, and you're now the Geisha Orgy Party.

Suck it.

They flat out admitted trump did it, it was obviously wrong, but it “doesn’t rise to the level of impeachment” whatever the hell that means. 

No rules. No laws. Nihilism Lebowski. Dey vantz da moooney. 

• Like 2

Any indication on what has changed, to go from McConnell admitting he doesn't have the votes to deny witnesses to winning the vote today?

I am sure they polled and tested their bs, bad behavior but not impeachable, and it did well enough to give the swing Senators an excuse to cower.

I am sure people are tracking payments and donations as best they can, but I would gander the swing Senators have full pockets today.

In summary, Republicans would push impeachment for a blow but not for the blackmail of a foreign government, through us taxpayer funds, to the benefit of the President alone.

Trump is going to go off the ledge with his personal slush fund the treasury. Lord knows what will happen if Trump gets any indication he will lose the next election, or even win. We will have no such thing as top secret documents, as foreign governments will own them all.

Edited by pacman

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Senate makes up its own rules; rules are subject to being rewritten for each impeachment trial (which they were in this case).

And there is no standard.  This has only happened three times, ever. 

Hell, during the Clinton trial they only heard three witnesses, Monica and two legal experts, and the House had heard none, proceeding entirely on the Starr report.

As I said upthread, this is not only political in nature, it is more legislative than judicial.  It's a trial in name only.

Trump, his Administration including the SoS, and the GOP are nothing if not vindictive. So when do the jailings begin? He was offended by the former President for simply existing so what will happen to those who stood against his rapacious acts? Will he wait until the election or begin next week?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And there is no standard.  This has only happened three times, ever. 

Hell, during the Clinton trial they only heard three witnesses, Monica and two legal experts, and the House had heard none, proceeding entirely on the Starr report.

As I said upthread, this is not only political in nature, it is more legislative than judicial.  It's a trial in name only.

This is unlike traditional rules of court, which in most states go through a lengthy bench/bar committee development process and then is submitted for the relevant highest court to approve and implement.  There is no way you could herd 100 senators to sit down and agree on a forward-looking set of rules to guide impeachments that they'd not immediately modify as it suits them whenever the next big impeachment comes down the pike.

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Trump now has the full permission of the Senate to cheat as much as he wants and never be removed. Who cares who he's running against?

exactly. been a trend for some time into simply short term thinking 301. or is that 101.?whatever. GOP doing their best to remove any process or any protocol that involves any semblance of balance and decency. its a power play. it always has been. its been since Ronnie and their gift of the fall of the CCCP. they are the enchanted ones who bring us happiness and the American dream. 

2020 is going to be a fucking nightmare. I have said it to many times. I hope the military steps in at some point and kicks every last one of these assholes out of all branches. They have sold out every American. Anyone voting for them is a either a dumb animal or hell bent asshole wanting to end the world. At some point you have to understand an enemy when one is staring you in the face. Its just what happens. 

Bill knows whats up. Always has.

• Like 2

Breaking news: a Democrat receiving a consensual blowjob is impeachable, but a Republican blackmailing an ally for a political favor by withholding taxpayer aid allocated by Congress, per their powers laid out in the Constitution, is not impeachable, and it's a traveshamockery that we're, wait for it, spending taxpayer money on this illegal impeachment.

23 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Suck it.

its actually much worse. its the POTUS can do anything cuz he is POTUS drivel. much much worse 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Breaking news: a Democrat receiving a consensual blowjob is impeachable, but a Republican blackmailing an ally for a political favor by withholding taxpayer aid allocated by Congress, per their powers laid out in the Constitution, is not impeachable, and it's a traveshamockery that we're, wait for it, spending taxpayer money on this illegal impeachment.

Well of course, because one involves extramarital SEX, and the other one is just boring government stuff.

Just now, TexArcher said:

Donald Trump got impeached.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Donald Trump got impeached.

Don't be pedantic.  Lamar Alexander used the exact terminology that he didn't think this was "impeachable" and therefore he shouldn't be removed from office.

If the Senate disagrees that it was impeachable then it doesn't mean he wasn't impeached.  It means they refused to remove him from office because they disagreed with the House, despite the House having proved the offense.

• Like 1

Just now, TexArcher said:

No shit.  But Republicans have been arguing that he shouldn't have been.  "It doesn't rise to the level of impeachment."  Etc.

And Democrats argued Clinton shouldn't have been for the exact same reason.

We've seen this movie before. The lesson is, impeachment will never result in removal.

Where is Nadler today?  Don't see him at the table.
Probably with his wife who was just diagnosed with and receiving treatment for pancreatic cancer.

I don't know what this disgusts me more than anything else today but the little baby man in the wh mocking nadler on Twitter while he is with his sick wife is a new low. That I'm sure will be surpassed in another five seconds

9 minutes ago, staboner said:

its actually much worse. its the POTUS can do anything cuz he is POTUS drivel. much much worse 

Don't lose your cool, and count your blessings. No nuke Friday, right?

But, yes, this is effectively giving a "trump card" to this or any future president to do whatever he/she wants whenever he/she wants. According to Republicans in the Senate, Trump is now above the law and can sell us out to get reelected, and it won't even be investigated.

Just now, Brandywine said:

Alexander is a piece of shit. Truthfully I’m glad it’s almost over. Dems did the best they could considering all the roadblocks the soulless President and Republicans put in front of them. 

I wish this was almost over.

This will be going on all the way to the election.

I wish this was almost over.
This will be going on all the way to the election.

We’ve already had our last election. The rest of em from here on out are going to be shams like we used to laugh at from Iraq and North Korea and such.
Dozens of countries have seen a single, corrupt party led by an autocrat take power and not let it go. The lesson here is that this “exceptional” story some idiots still believe is bullshit. We’re a corrupt shit hole country, just like the rest of em, except with a bit more money (for now).
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

We’ve already had our last election. The rest of em from here on out are going to be shams like we used to laugh at from Iraq and North Korea and such.
Dozens of countries have seen a single, corrupt party led by an autocrat take power and not let it go. The lesson here is that this “exceptional” story some idiots still believe is bullshit. We’re a corrupt shit hole country, just like the rest of em, except with a bit more money (for now).

It's always been this way. Hell, LBJ was only president because he literally stole an election in 1948.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Eh, we’re lucky the elections are decentralized and the Republicans have been rigging elections my entire lifetime.  Just gonna have to pull up the old bootstrap, or civil war.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yup, put a fork in it. As of today, this country is no longer be one that can pretend to be one that operates under the rule of law. It's official: we're a kleptocratic idiocracy, ruled by an all powerful executive dictator. Congratulations, Trump cunts, you've won.

hqdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

I think there's little doubt that Donald Trump will commit one or more impeachable acts between now and November.

Oh well.

I wonder if he'll commit a whopper?  Not just one of his bumblefuck self-interest deals, but a real takes-two-hands-to-handle whopper.

Not to diminish the corrosive effect of his bumblefuck self-interest deals.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Wouldn't be surprised if Trump gets Barr's approval (or tells him this is what he's going to do while Barr is bowing down to him kissing his ring) to have Schiff, Nadler, Pelosi, Schumer, and whoever he hates or wants to get revenge on, arrested and put in jail for trial. And the Republicans will be laughing and agreeing with him. 

Edited by Brandywine

2 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Trump gets Barr's approval (or tells him this is what he's going to do while Barr is bowing down to him kissing his ring) to have Schiff, Nadler, Pelosi, Schumer, and whoever he hates or wants to get revenge on, arrested and put in jail for trial. And the Republicans will be laughing and agreeing with him. 

Now you’re just being hysterical.

51 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Trump, his Administration including the SoS, and the GOP are nothing if not vindictive. So when do the jailings begin? He was offended by the former President for simply existing so what will happen to those who stood against his rapacious acts? Will he wait until the election or begin next week?

I just saw this MW. I agree. It will start at 3:30 Wednesday afternoon.

The ultimate result of today is the senate has now abdicated its role as the so called greatest deliberative body in the world. Nobody can seriously deny that. The trial was a farce and nobody will credibly dispute that.

Unlike Brisket and others, I don’t think this automatically means the end of the republic but its a definite HUGE step in that direction. They failed the country and their own statements to date acknowledge the obvious. They failed and are trying to beg for forgiveness. That will continue into next week. 

Everyone knows Bolton has relevant testimony. Yet they chose to refuse to hear it. Any moral standing the Senate had is gone. And that is a shame.

Its up to the voters now in November to put an end to this madness. Trump, Moscow Mitch, and the Parnas’s of the world who have yet to be arrested will do everything in their power to end democracy in this Country as we know it, because the blacks and browns have gotten too much voting power over the years. 

It all goes back to slavery, and racism, and the oppression of the poor whites and blacks in favor of the wealthy. If you want some optimism to look to this isn’t anything new. Its been going on and unresolved since the country was founded. A final reckoning has so far been put off for centuries.

What you’re going through now is nothing new.

It don’t all revolve around you.

That’s vanity. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Now you’re just being hysterical.

tenor.gif

Maybe go back to worrying about the "expansive executive" that y'all were shitting yourselves over a few years ago.

Congrats, you've now got what you said you didn't want -- thanks to undying devotion to Herr Drumpf.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A god damn banana republic. Fuck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

tenor.gif

Maybe go back to worrying about the "expansive executive" that y'all were shitting yourselves over a few years ago.

Congrats, you've now got what you said you didn't want -- thanks to undying devotion to Herr Drumpf.

I have no doubt that back in the Obama Shaggy days GR Horn was sitting there on his toilet posting away about the evils of executive overreach and authority. 

Dude is a joke. 

15 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Now youre just being naive, or lying. Not sure which. 

You know what? You’re right. Trump is gonna have (checking notes) Schumer and Pelosi arrested for their insolence.

These are unserious statements. A waste of bandwidth, even here. 

I'm like 5 pages behind so if this has already been mentioned, sorry not sorry

10 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Is it too early for an in-depth post-mortem here?  I'd be curious on people's thoughts about the individuals most responsible for the death of the Republic.  I'll start, in no particular order:

• Rush Limbaugh / Rupert Murdoch - as leaders of the fear-mongering movement that led to the creation and solidification of "The Base" (you know ... morons)
  • Koch brothers / Robert Mercer / Sheldon Adelson - for funding the modern GOP's efforts to undermine the principal tenets of democracy over the last several decades 
  • Justices Kennedy and Roberts (along with assists from Alito, Thomas and Scalia) - for their decisions in Citizens United (allowing the flood of dark money into US politics) and Shelby County v. Holder (killing the VRA because "there wasn't enough racism to justify it" (ha!))
  • Bill Barr - for his cover-up of the GOP's blatant criminality 
  • Mitch McConnell - for his tactics in packing the judiciary, covering up GOP criminality and generally taking partisan politics in Congress "up to 11"
  • Donald Trump - for pushing the country into a post-truth dystopia (with an assist from Fox News / Murdoch)

Who else shares the blame with where we are?

Mark Fuckerberg

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

8 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Cipollone was in the room. He was a fact witness to this crime, and acted as Trump's attorney. My God, this is so illegal. 

Cipollone should be disbarred for this.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You know what? You’re right. Trump is gonna have (checking notes) Schumer and Pelosi arrested for their insolence.

If he wins in November, all bets are off. I don’t think he will so then its a moot point.

Guess we shall see. 

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Lock her up! Lock her up!

Nothing to see here.

• Like 1

It’s past time for all the living former President’s to get together and have a press conference and let the country know that this shit isn’t normal. Would it matter? Of course not because nothing does. I’d like to see it for nothing else than the trump twitter meltdown though. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Don't lose your cool, and count your blessings. No nuke Friday, right?

But, yes, this is effectively giving a "trump card" to this or any future president to do whatever he/she wants whenever he/she wants. According to Republicans in the Senate, Trump is now above the law and can sell us out to get reelected, and it won't even be investigated.

yeah man. thats what we are saying. i lost my cool a long time ago. OG brisket man. 

we just lit the turd that is the US government on fire and tossed it out the window onto every American doorstep. 

happy nuke free friday my homie

• Like 1