Dallas | Wings

Landomatic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/9/2018 at 6:02 PM, Zepol87 said:

Angry Dog has some pretty good wings

How fucked up were you when you had these?  Got them this weekend and they were horrendous.  Lemmon pepper ones were jerky, spicy ones were soggy, both tasted gross and were the smallest wings I've ever had.

qFe1A2.jpg

BnFJOv.jpg

Here's a pic in comparison to my hand for reference.  And no, I don't have giant fingers.  These things were seriously like some kind of weird midget chicken wings.

NjXf8v.jpg

• Like 1

Wing Bucket in downtown Dallas and I think there's one more suburban location. Huge wings, great tasting buffalo sauce, nice and crispy but not hard. 

Used to eat there once a week when I lived downtown. Pretty good local beer selection. If I had any complaint it would be they don't separate the wing from the drumstick but it's not a big deal to me 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Just do double fried at home and you’re doing better (and cheaper, although only marginally) than 90% of places around here.

Starting to learn that is pretty much the case with just about every type of food.  Little bit of learning, practice and some decent ingredients, I can make almost everything at home better than 90% of restaurants.  Maybe even 99%

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, HornyPony69 said:

Barley House is truly an smu undergrad bar, but their wings are elite. Imo better than pluckers. On Wednesday they are half off and the smu crowd isn’t too thick. Went to law school at smu and spent a significant amount of Wednesday’s there. 

Can confirm. (obviously)

And I love the grease-soaked fare served across the street at Milo's. Can't recall if they have good wings or not. Their bean and cheese nachos are my fav.

Can confirm. (obviously)
And I love the grease-soaked fare served across the street at Milo's. Can't recall if they have good wings or not. Their bean and cheese nachos are my fav.

Yeah milos is amazing. We always get/got the bacon cheese fries at milos. BLT is pretty great too. Barley’s wings are better though. Especially the lemon pepper. Honestly still a regular at milos and barley to a lesser extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
On 9/24/2019 at 7:56 AM, TankedBevo said:

Wing Bucket in downtown Dallas and I think there's one more suburban location. Huge wings, great tasting buffalo sauce, nice and crispy but not hard. 

Used to eat there once a week when I lived downtown. Pretty good local beer selection. If I had any complaint it would be they don't separate the wing from the drumstick but it's not a big deal to me 

Got these last night for the draft. Probably pretty good under normal circumstances, but ended up being very meh overall.

Had them delivered by GrubHub or Favor or some shit. Driver took forever and as I was following him on the app, he must have seriously taken 5 wrong turns between there and my house. So, by the time they showed up, which was 45 minutes after he picked them up and should have been 15 tops, they were cold and I was pissed. Driver looked really fucked up when he got here...or there was something seriously wrong with him. Either way, he had no business being behind the wheel. Also, the app had a woman's name as our driver and this dude was clearly not a woman, so something shady was up. Can't really blame any of that on Wing Bucket though.

Back to the wings. The ones that were good were great. Probably some of the best I've had in town. However, about 1/3 of them were really tiny and those sucked pretty hard. Also missing about 1/4 of our order altogether. Maybe fucked up driver got the munchies on the way, but I think they just forgot part of it. Only side we tried was the collard greens, which were very average, although there were probably better sides we could have chosen so I don't really hold that against them. Overall about a 5 out of 10 though, which is too bad because with just a little bit of quality control, it wouldn't have taken much to raise that score substantially.

Guessing some/all of this is Covid related. I know restaurants and delivery companies are having a hard time finding good help these days. Probably also having a hard time finding quality, consistent ingredients.

tl;dr fuck covid

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Got these last night for the draft. Probably pretty good under normal circumstances, but ended up being very meh overall.

Had them delivered by GrubHub or Favor or some shit. Driver took forever and as I was following him on the app, he must have seriously taken 5 wrong turns between there and my house. So, by the time they showed up, which was 45 minutes after he picked them up and should have been 15 tops, they were cold and I was pissed. Driver looked really fucked up when he got here...or there was something seriously wrong with him. Either way, he had no business being behind the wheel. Also, the app had a woman's name as our driver and this dude was clearly not a woman, so something shady was up. Can't really blame any of that on Wing Bucket though.

Back to the wings. The ones that were good were great. Probably some of the best I've had in town. However, about 1/3 of them were really tiny and those sucked pretty hard. Also missing about 1/4 of our order altogether. Maybe fucked up driver got the munchies on the way, but I think they just forgot part of it. Only side we tried was the collard greens, which were very average, although there were probably better sides we could have chosen so I don't really hold that against them. Overall about a 5 out of 10 though, which is too bad because with just a little bit of quality control, it wouldn't have taken much to raise that score substantially.

Guessing some/all of this is Covid related. I know restaurants and delivery companies are having a hard time finding good help these days. Probably also having a hard time finding quality, consistent ingredients.

tl;dr fuck covid

Damn that sucks. As a general rule I try not get wings delivered ever just because there's very little to no chance they are any good. Mainly, the steam from the wings inside the usually Styrofoam to go containers makes them mushy and they lose all their crispiness. You might give it another go at the actual restaurant and if the wing size issue isn't fixed then make the call whether or not to come back. I haven't been back to wing bucket since I made that post but I might swing down there soon to see if their quality dipped since then. 

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Damn that sucks. As a general rule I try not get wings delivered ever just because there's very little to no chance they are any good. Mainly, the steam from the wings inside the usually Styrofoam to go containers makes them mushy and they lose all their crispiness.

Yeah I agree. I was just feeling extra lazy last night and wanted to watch the draft.

You might give it another go at the actual restaurant and if the wing size issue isn't fixed then make the call whether or not to come back. I haven't been back to wing bucket since I made that post but I might swing down there soon to see if their quality dipped since then. 

I think I will at some point. Like I said, they had the potential to be in the conversation for best in town.

tangent side rant, but Grubhub is a shitshow.  generally do UE, but wife wanted a place that was only on GH.  it's was 1:15 after we ordered (ap said 1 hour max) and we texted the driver and he said he has our food, but is claiming that GH is making him wait to pickup another order at another fucking restaurant near by.  but that order was not ready yet, but should be in another 20 minutes.  Told him he and GH were fucking crazy if we were going to wait for that and cancelled the order and called to get refunded.  some stupid algorithm thought is was A-OK to have people's food sit in the car another 30-45 minutes on top of the normal delivery time.

anyway, finally vaxed and now will moonlight as family's food courier to places that have a good bar to wait at.  "sorry honey, food took forever.  don't worry about those 3 cocktails on the total.  must have mixed up the receipt"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Yes, in that complex with the other restaurants. They also have some breakfast burritos that look incredible.

That interests me more than the wings.  That’s in my hood, but I don’t seek out hot dog restaurants.  Gracias for letting me know they do other things well

11 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Yes, in that complex with the other restaurants. They also have some breakfast burritos that look incredible.

Breakfast burritos not on the online menu.  Do you know if this is a new thing for them?  Saturday mornings are breakfast taco day at the conVINCEd household, and I’m always looking for more options.

Breakfast burritos not on the online menu.  Do you know if this is a new thing for them?  Saturday mornings are breakfast taco day at the conVINCEd household, and I’m always looking for more options.

They have a small menu up at the counter for the burritos. Last time we were there I was gonna get one but the counter guy talked me out of it because he said it would take at least 20 minutes. End up getting KPOP wings which were great but I’m resolved to get a burrito next time.

cb4a58ad5d8b40aca05caef2c704e21a.jpg

e255e234a69a3c01e23617434056cfd9.jpg
e5839bf13b2933036980d262a9a2eb31.jpg
86473a198729d764fd28336d0606b97a.jpg
6a7f6609810383f7c26303f1583cb541.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, mdleast said:

They have a small menu up at the counter for the burritos. Last time we were there I was gonna get one but the counter guy talked me out of it because he said it would take at least 20 minutes. End up getting KPOP wings which were great but I’m resolved to get a burrito next time.

Damn.  They don’t open until 9:00.  I get hangry if I don’t eat pretty much immediately after waking up.  I wake up, call in the order before getting out of bed, and go pick it up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 9:31 PM, mdleast said:

I'd eat that.