Estes Park

Macanudo

In early February, I have to be in and around Denver and Boulder.  Will be driving up and getting in on Sunday the 2nd.  Finish up with the Denver stuff on Friday so thought about heading up to Estes Park until Saturday. 

I've spent a ton of time in Breck and south of there but zero time up near RMNP. 

I dont even know what I dont know.  What do I need to know?

Scratch Deli has a damn good smoked pastrami sandwich!  Other then that there’s lots of shops downtown but every other thing I do there is usually summer activities and in the RMNP.   Checking out the Stanley hotel is cool.

Edited by Hook1997

Tourist is OK. I'll have 3 teenagers with me.  Can you get to Fraser by going due west then south on US 40 this time of year or would I have to go back down to I-70 and north on 40?
Trail Ridge is how you get to Grand Lake/ Fraser/ Winter Park, so you would have to go around.
  • Like 1

In early February, I have to be in and around Denver and Boulder.  Will be driving up and getting in on Sunday the 2nd.  Finish up with the Denver stuff on Friday so thought about heading up to Estes Park until Saturday. 
I've spent a ton of time in Breck and south of there but zero time up near RMNP. 
I dont even know what I dont know.  What do I need to know?
I v.mtnoe

Went two summers ago.  Did a tour of the Stanley.  It was OK.  Then we drank at the bar downstairs where Jim Carrey reacted to the "Man Walks on Moon" headline (Dumb and Dumber filmed all of those hotel scenes there - Carrey stayed there for a few nights, but got spooked and checked out).

Tons of elk just strolling through town as well.

20 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

What are the chances I would need to chain up in early Febraury getting from Boulder to Estes Park and then down to 70 and over to Frisco or Breck?

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a non-commercial vehicle with chains...I’m guessing you’re driving something rear wheel?

What are the chances I would need to chain up in early Febraury getting from Boulder to Estes Park and then down to 70 and over to Frisco or Breck?
You're probably good going to Estes, but don't make that I 70 drive without good tires. I would probably have some snow socks in the car just in case. Research COs traction laws before you come.
  • Like 1

Given that winter will have RMNP shut down, I'd actually recommend killing that day or two in Fort Collins, if you don't want to go up into the mountains.  Just kicking around the beer scene there for a day is an absolute blast if you're into that sort of thing.

Estes has always seemed really touristy to me, and it doesn't have a good ski hill, so IMO it kind of lacks a winter draw.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Given that winter will have RMNP shut down, I'd actually recommend killing that day or two in Fort Collins, if you don't want to go up into the mountains.  Just kicking around the beer scene there for a day is an absolute blast if you're into that sort of thing.

Estes has always seemed really touristy to me, and it doesn't have a good ski hill, so IMO it kind of lacks a winter draw.

This is not a bad idea.  I've never been to Estes in the winter, but I can't imagine there will be that much to do unless you maybe go snowmobiling into RMNP.  

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

This is not a bad idea.  I've never been to Estes in the winter, but I can't imagine there will be that much to do unless you maybe go snowmobiling into RMNP.  

RMNP is absolutely open in the winter, unless you want to drive over the pass. Plenty of hiking available, but snowshoes or traction footwear is recommended.

If you haven’t hiked to Dream Lake, it’s a great one for first timers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KTTFB64 said:

RMNP is absolutely open in the winter, unless you want to drive over the pass. Plenty of hiking available, but snowshoes or traction footwear is recommended.

If you haven’t hiked to Dream Lake, it’s a great one for first timers.

Good to know.  I figured Trail Ridge Road was shut off pretty close to Estes in the winter.

On 1/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 1/19/2020 at 4:48 PM, Macanudo said:

You're probably good going to Estes, but don't make that I 70 drive without good tires. I would probably have some snow socks in the car just in case. Research COs traction laws before you come.

Yeah, if you stay on the east side/front range you should generally be ok.

If you go on the western/ski side you generally would not be ok. Or at least you should have some chains with you.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:46 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Given that winter will have RMNP shut down,

I guess that depends on what you want to do. Imo, Romo does not shut down in the winter at all. Go up to Bear Lake, walk across the frozen lake and climb that little hill at the end of it. 

Get some snowshoes and hike that trail on the way up to Bear Lake, Bierstadt or something like that.  Enjoy the brisk, cold weather. 

4 hours ago, Asithappens said:

I guess that depends on what you want to do. Imo, Romo does not shut down in the winter at all. Go up to Bear Lake, walk across the frozen lake and climb that little hill at the end of it. 

Get some snowshoes and hike that trail on the way up to Bear Lake, Bierstadt or something like that.  Enjoy the brisk, cold weather. 

Bierstadt isn't that close to Estes at all, but I agree if you were going to go for a 14er in winter that's a good one.

20 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Bierstadt isn't that close to Estes at all, but I agree if you were going to go for a 14er in winter that's a good one.

Uh, yeah it is imo. Bierstadt Lake Trail is on the way to Bear Lake. It's no way close to a 14er, so we must be talking about two different things. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Anyone ever taking a Toddler to Estes Park? I'm guessing that there just isn't shit to do with them at that age?

What is there to do with a toddler anywhere? 

Get a papoose thingy and carry them around when you up to the park; walk around downtown and hit the candy stores; take them to the rock shop; sledding if the weather/conditions are favorable for it; get 'em out in the snow....

Just take them with you. If you're having fun then likely they'll have fun, too. Get them a caramel apple at Laura's at the end of the day and hit up that pizza place (Antonios?).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Anyone ever taking a Toddler to Estes Park? I'm guessing that there just isn't shit to do with them at that age?

If you are talking wholesome family type vacation, the YMCA of the Rockies is pretty spectacular and they have all sorts of youth activities.  Not sure if down to toddler.  It's not "luxe," but nice enough and pretty awesome setting.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If you are talking wholesome family type vacation, the YMCA of the Rockies is pretty spectacular and they have all sorts of youth activities.  Not sure if down to toddler.  It's not "luxe," but nice enough and pretty awesome setting.

Yeah, the YMCA is impressive.

And it's kinda on the way, iirc, to the church/chapel coming out of the rocks, St. Malo. Maybe not on the way, St. Malo is down on county road 7, iirc. 

The Y is down hwy 66, so not on the way. 

Edited by Asithappens

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Don’t do this

LoL.

I read something a few years back about some college wrestlers (young, in very good shape, etc) climbed Longs Peak). They left the parking lot at about 3:00 am (maybe 2:30) and had a very difficult time. And this was summer. Even though it's a walk in the park, it's not a walk in the park. 

If you're looking for a hiking challenge, start with Guadalupe Peak. It's strenuous, but doable. 

14 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

LoL.

I read something a few years back about some college wrestlers (young, in very good shape, etc) climbed Longs Peak). They left the parking lot at about 3:00 am (maybe 2:30) and had a very difficult time. And this was summer. Even though it's a walk in the park, it's not a walk in the park. 

If you're looking for a hiking challenge, start with Guadalupe Peak. It's strenuous, but doable. 

Yeah nevermind they’re buried in 10+ feet of snow right now.