Black Pumas

jimmyjazz

I'm really digging the Black Pumas CD.  Eric Burton's voice is timeless, and Adrian Quesada has more than proven his worth here in Austin over the last decade.  

This tune has such a lovely, old school groove, and Burton's vocals really harken back to Motown/Stax greats.  I know they won't win the "Best New Artist" Grammy (because Billie Eilish), but they should.

• Like 1

Saw them last Thursday in a badly oversold show at Canton Hall in Dallas. I wasn't overly familiar other than a song or two. Though it's not my favorite genre of music, I thought the show was good. Burton was late getting there from Austin. Adrian can play guitar.

Saw them on Friday at the Kessler in Dallas which is a wonderfully intimate venue. We were 10 feet away from Eric. The show and music are just fun and great for the soul. His backup singers are great too. I'm glad they've blown up. And yes they should win the Best New Artist Grammy because Billie Eilish isn't a new artist and is up for the award based on a technicality. But yeah, she'll win it. 

4A9620D8-91BD-43AF-9E34-8F9E66AA2FC0.jpeg

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

Love these guys, been listening to them for a couple months now. The day before Thanksgiving, I was scrolling through my Facebook feed and came across the music video for Colors as a sponsored post.  They're not really my typical genre of music at all but I really dug it so I checked out the tour dates to see if they were playing anywhere and lo and behold, saw that they were playing the free Longhorn City Limits show just 2 days later so that was pretty cool.  I was very impressed with the show, Eric Burton is a great front man.  Me and my buddy joked that you could make a shot game, taking a shot every time he said the word "Austin" but we probably would have been passed out by the 2nd song haha

Been hot for a while locally.  I felt lucky to get a ticket to their Sunday show back in the fall swelter at Mohawk.  Knew I wasn't going to be able to ever see them again in that small a venue, at least here in Austin.  They put on a great show.  I enjoyed Quesada's last two prior efforts in Brownout and Spanish Gold in particular with My Morning Jacket's Drummer, saw them at the Parish. Black Pumas is a step above with a legit front man with the name Eric Burton.  Love seeing bands like the Puma, ARC Angels, U2 in a small club environment. 

They are gonna get more and more popular.

There are a few tickets left to the added third night at Stubbs Sunday May 10th.  The guys are going to make another swing through Europe which is largely sold out already. https://www.theblackpumas.com/shows

IF you like the Black Pumas you ought to give Tomar and the FC's a look.  Saw them at Guero's last Wednesday for the Sun Radio show, and they were great.  Not a bad local substitute now that the Puma's have moved far beyond local shows.  Funny note that I had to look up.  Several folks wanted to know what the FC's stood for, Football Club was the best guess, a little Chronicle research and it stands for  Funky Caucasians. Check the out if you get a chance as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

Me and my buddy joked that you could make a shot game, taking a shot every time he said the word "Austin" but we probably would have been passed out by the 2nd song haha

Ha -- it was the same up here in Dallas. Dallas this and Dallas that all night.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd never heard of them until I caught them doing a cover of Tracy Chapman's Fast Car on one of the late night talk shows. I think it was Colbert the night before they did the Tonight Show. They sounded really good. I was going to try to catch them the next night but fell asleep.